Re: What version of Linux to install on Sunfire V100 ?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by NativeAngels, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. NativeAngels

    NativeAngels Guest

    Hello

    Ive recently aquired 3 Sunfire v100's but unfortunatly had no disks
    with them and I had no login details for them.

    I have tried installing Debian Lenny Sparc on one of them which went
    ok but after installation on reboot everything goes ok, but then it
    hangs and nothing happens. Is the a version of linux that actually
    works on them. Everything needs to be installed via cd as theyre not
    connected to a network, only an old laptop with a console cable.

    Is there any easy how to guides to installing a os on them ?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    They seem a nice bit of kit.

    Thanks James

    NativeAngels, Jun 16, 2010

  2. NativeAngels

    Barry Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:21:35 -0700 (PDT), NativeAngels
    <> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >Ive recently aquired 3 Sunfire v100's but unfortunatly had no disks
    >with them and I had no login details for them.
    >
    >I have tried installing Debian Lenny Sparc on one of them which went
    >ok but after installation on reboot everything goes ok, but then it
    >hangs and nothing happens. Is the a version of linux that actually
    >works on them. Everything needs to be installed via cd as theyre not
    >connected to a network, only an old laptop with a console cable.
    >
    >Is there any easy how to guides to installing a os on them ?

    The latest Solaris 10.

    Barry, Jun 17, 2010

  3. NativeAngels

    HansIvers Guest

    On Jun 16, 5:21 am, NativeAngels <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Ive recently aquired 3 Sunfire v100's but unfortunatly had no disks
    > with them and I had no login details for them.
    >
    > I have tried installing Debian Lenny Sparc on one of them which went
    > ok but after installation on reboot everything goes ok, but then it
    > hangs and nothing happens. Is the a version of linux that actually
    > works on them. Everything needs to be installed via cd as theyre not
    > connected to a network, only an old laptop with a console cable.

    Take a look at my email on a previous thread (Ubuntu on Sunfire v100,
    a couple of days ago). I spoke about installing Debian on SunFire
    V100.

    > Is there any easy how to guides to installing a os on them ?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > They seem a nice bit of kit.
    >
    > Thanks James

    Easy to install OpenBSD and sparc64 is a full-supported port. On
    FreeBSD, sparc64 is also available but it's a tier-2 port (partial
    support).

    Personnally, I have two Sunfire v100 : one is running OpenBSD 4.7 and
    the other is running Solaris 10. I've never been able to run Debian to
    my entire satisfaction (and I've tried *very* hard).

    Good luck!

    HansIvers, Jun 21, 2010