Re: what was fastest AGP card?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Benjamin Gawert, Sep 9, 2010.

  1. On 06.09.2010 03:43, * Orson Cart:
    > I have been given several workstations that are a few
    > years old. They are still quite useful (heaps of RAM, RAID SATA,
    > low-noise power supplies etc.) but have Radeon 9800XT AGP cards.
    > I have a scientific application in mind for them that requires fast
    > rendering on large screens (2560x1600).
    > What would be ATI's best of the AGP line?

    If I were you I wouldn't sink any money into a new AGP card any more.
    You didn't mention *what* workstations you have but the last
    workstations with AGP slot were from 2004 (which is 6+ years) and mostly
    used CPUs based on the slow, hot and powerhungry P4 architecture (some
    also used 1st generation Opterons). The available new AGP cards are
    either very old and slow by todays standards (Nvidia Geforce 7) or are
    often troublesome in their driver support (ATI/AMD).

    You also didn't mention what application you want to run but if it uses
    any form of 3D acceleration or is CPU or I/O intensive then it is highly
    unlikely you can run it at 2560x1600 on such old and slow computers.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 9, 2010