Re: Which Intel CPUs should I get?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Anssi Saari, Nov 24, 2008.

  1. Anssi Saari

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Ant <> writes:

    > Hello all.
    >
    > I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss
    > on which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

    Doesn't much matter, most games today aren't particularly CPU
    intensive since they have to run on consoles too... So unless you plan
    to play some simulations that actually have CPU-intensive AI, you'd be
    fine with whatever you have now, was it AMD X2 something. Video
    encoding is also a task that never seems to go fast enough...

    I'd just put the beefiest video card you can find in your current PC
    and enjoy.
    Anssi Saari, Nov 24, 2008

  2. Anssi Saari

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Ant <> writes:

    > Are you saying my three years old Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 939 CPU would do
    > fine if I upgrade to an ATI Radeon 4850+ video card?

    It's hard to put it any clearer than that. But you can easily see for
    yourself, upgrade the video first, take notes. Then upgrade CPU and
    see what you got.

    > I thought there was a bottleneck with my CPU?

    Yes?
    Anssi Saari, Nov 24, 2008

  3. Anssi Saari

    JLC Guest

    Anssi Saari wrote:
    > Ant <> writes:
    >
    >> Hello all.
    >>
    >> I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss
    >> on which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

    > Doesn't much matter, most games today aren't particularly CPU
    > intensive since they have to run on consoles too... So unless you plan
    > to play some simulations that actually have CPU-intensive AI, you'd be
    > fine with whatever you have now, was it AMD X2 something. Video
    > encoding is also a task that never seems to go fast enough...
    >
    > I'd just put the beefiest video card you can find in your current PC
    > and enjoy.

    You have to be kidding right? Todays consoles have plenty of CPU power.
    His CPU is very outdated and for very little money he can get a monster
    of a CPU. If you read any recent graphic card review you'll learn that
    many games are heavily CPU dependent. And a 4800 class card needs a good
    CPU or it will just get bottlenecked. JLC
    JLC, Nov 25, 2008