Re: Why a file system required in an embedded Device

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by hamilton, Feb 24, 2010.

  1. hamilton

    hamilton Guest

    Jalon wrote:

    > Is there a particular need/scenario which makes file system required in an
    > embedded system.

    A data logger that needs to be read by a PC would need a file system.

    hamilton, Feb 24, 2010

  2. hamilton

    Tim Watts Guest

    hamilton <>
    wibbled on Wednesday 24 February 2010 06:30

    > Jalon wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there a particular need/scenario which makes file system required in
    >> an embedded system.

    > A data logger that needs to be read by a PC would need a file system.

    Though there is a compromise position available:

    Pre format the media with a simple filesystem (eg FAT but it could be
    anything) and pre-allocate one single contiguous file for the whole media.

    Let the embedded device have just enough knowledge of the filesystem to
    locate the start and size of this file, then maintain the file in an
    application specific way (eg simple buffer with a couple of pointers) to a
    fixed block size list or something.

    This allows the media to present itself naturally to a typical PC but
    removes most of the metadata processing overhead from the embedded device.

    Let the PC side application worry about interpreting the contents of the
    file.

    --
    Tim Watts

    Tim Watts, Feb 24, 2010