Re: WiFi on IBM T60 - Linux!

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by John Navas, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:48:50 -0400, GandalfG
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >I'm NOT a Linux-freek, but I've just found BackTracker2, and I'm very
    >interested in trying it.
    >But when I start BackTracker2 up on CD, I don't seem to have any
    >WLAN-adapters...
    >iwconfig says: "eth0: no wireless extensions"
    >
    >I would think, that somewhere in iwconfig, it should say somthing about
    >wlan0 or ath0 instead???
    >
    >The WiFi-control-light (just below the screen on the laptop) isn't on
    >either!
    >
    >I've checked the BIOS, and all network adaptors is enabled at startup.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me, what to do?????????????
    >
    >PS: BackTracker2 does support the IBM T60...

    [cross-posted to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>

    John Navas, Jun 13, 2007

  2. John Navas

    Guest

    John Navas <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:48:50 -0400, GandalfG
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:

    > >I'm NOT a Linux-freek, but I've just found BackTracker2, and I'm very
    > >interested in trying it.
    > >But when I start BackTracker2 up on CD, I don't seem to have any
    > >WLAN-adapters...
    > >iwconfig says: "eth0: no wireless extensions"

    Booted from CDROM might be quite different from the installed set.
    Or is this a "liveCD" bootable run environment? Maybe there are specific
    command line switches that you need.

    > >I would think, that somewhere in iwconfig, it should say somthing about
    > >wlan0 or ath0 instead???

    One of my non-thinkpad laptops identified my Prism WiFi as eth0, and my
    wired LAN as eth1. That worked okay with FC6 with no external drivers.
    Another laptop with an ar5-something DLink card identified ath0, but that
    was from an add-on driver, not a set from the RHEL install.

    > >PS: BackTracker2 does support the IBM T60...

    My T60 has an AR-5211. You might wander over to MadWifi.org to look for
    support.

    , Jun 13, 2007