Re: Windows service pack download froze my laptop

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by CBFalconer, Apr 12, 2009.

  1. CBFalconer

    CBFalconer Guest

    Colleen wrote:

    > I was trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my IBM
    > laptop, and I intended to follow that with a download of Service
    > Pack 3. However, the Service Pack 2 download totally shut down
    > my computer, and I am not able to access any of the recovery
    > functions except the "reformat hard drive" function. Obviously,
    > I do not want to reformat my hard drive. Can someone please
    > help me?
    >
    > I have posted this to several forums, because I am not sure
    > which is the best one, so please excuse my redundancy.

    This is typical Microsoft quality. I suggest you aim for a means
    of transferring the files of interest (assuming they still exist)
    to a backup medium. Then install a Linux. Ubuntu is good, and
    easily available from ubuntu.com. Ask for version 8.04, because it
    will be supported for 3 (2 more) years.

    Most software is available (free) for Linux. It is usually better
    than Windows versions.

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Apr 12, 2009

  2. CBFalconer

    Todd H. Guest

    CBFalconer <> writes:

    > Colleen wrote:
    >>
    >> I was trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my IBM
    >> laptop, and I intended to follow that with a download of Service
    >> Pack 3. However, the Service Pack 2 download totally shut down
    >> my computer, and I am not able to access any of the recovery
    >> functions except the "reformat hard drive" function. Obviously,
    >> I do not want to reformat my hard drive. Can someone please
    >> help me?
    >>
    >> I have posted this to several forums, because I am not sure
    >> which is the best one, so please excuse my redundancy.

    > This is typical Microsoft quality. I suggest you aim for a means
    > of transferring the files of interest (assuming they still exist)
    > to a backup medium. Then install a Linux. Ubuntu is good, and
    > easily available from ubuntu.com. Ask for version 8.04, because it
    > will be supported for 3 (2 more) years.
    >
    > Most software is available (free) for Linux. It is usually better
    > than Windows versions.

    Sweet!

    Point us to the cheaper/better than Quickbooks, Quicken, Adobe
    Creative Suite and Word apps are and let's get started!
    Todd H., Apr 12, 2009

  3. CBFalconer

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Todd H. wrote:
    > CBFalconer <> writes:
    >
    >> Colleen wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I was trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my IBM
    >>> laptop, and I intended to follow that with a download of Service
    >>> Pack 3. However, the Service Pack 2 download totally shut down
    >>> my computer, and I am not able to access any of the recovery
    >>> functions except the "reformat hard drive" function. Obviously,
    >>> I do not want to reformat my hard drive. Can someone please
    >>> help me?
    >>>
    >>> I have posted this to several forums, because I am not sure
    >>> which is the best one, so please excuse my redundancy.

    >> This is typical Microsoft quality. I suggest you aim for a means
    >> of transferring the files of interest (assuming they still exist)
    >> to a backup medium. Then install a Linux. Ubuntu is good, and
    >> easily available from ubuntu.com. Ask for version 8.04, because it
    >> will be supported for 3 (2 more) years.
    >>
    >> Most software is available (free) for Linux. It is usually better
    >> than Windows versions.

    > Sweet!
    >
    > Point us to the cheaper/better than Quickbooks, Quicken, Adobe
    > Creative Suite and Word apps are and let's get started!

    Word to the wise....

    CBFalconer is in my killfile. There are few things worse on usenet than OS
    dick-sizers.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2009