Re: X1950 temperatures

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Craig Coope, Jan 2, 2009.

  1. Craig Coope

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 22:26:34 -0000, "Neil"
    <-online.co.uk> wrote:

    >Another Christmas, another game that pushes my video card a bit further than
    >the stuff I have already. When I leave this one, I always see a warning
    >that the clock speed is being reduced to stop the video card overheating.
    >At what temperature is that supposed to happen? If I quickly flick open
    >CCC, I can see on the Overdrive tab the temperature can be reading as high
    >as 100°C. Is the mechanism really meant to limit the temperature as high as
    >that?
    >
    >I can also see that the VPU clock does not seem to have been reduced at all;
    >it is still there at an indicated 580MHz, which is the stock speed. I've a
    >feeling I've seen the memory frequency reduced, from the default 702MHz,
    >some of the time, but never the VPU clock.
    >
    >I (relatively) recently vacuumed the inside of the computer case and blew as
    >much dust out of the CPU and video card coolers as I could, so it should be
    >reasonably clear. I can hear the fan on the video card accelerate while
    >playing, so I'm also pretty sure that's working as intended.
    >
    >I'm using Catalyst 8.12 on Vista x64.
    >
    >Neil

    I don't have Vista and I have never overclocked. I used to have an
    X1950 (AGP) and it ran at about 75 Max. I used to have an 9800XT and
    that ran a little higher sometimes. I've read that ATI generally runs
    higher than Nvidia but I'd say 100C is a bit too much. It may not bust
    your card in the short term but it certainly can't be good in the long
    term. When I first got my 9800 I had to buy 3 chasis fans. 1 in at the
    front and 2 out at the back. Brought my temp down by 10C I seem to
    remember.

    --
    The Zero ST
    Craig Coope, Jan 2, 2009