Re: X5DPA-GG motherboard LED glowing orange

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by dorothy.bradbury, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. o Generally most recent boards use an LED to indicate standby-power
    ---- ie, PSU has power & PSU is "off but in standby mode"

    o Standby is a maintained 5V feed so the board can boot electrically
    ---- eg, due to WOL signal, WOModem signal or such like

    It's useful for compute servers which are brought up on demand by WOL,
    although personally I've never found WOL to be reliable "PC wide".

    The LED is a service alert to users that the board is not electrically off,
    adding/removing DIMMS should not be attempted until power removed.

    Some older boards lacked this LED, and I suspect a casual user or human
    error had some adding/removing PCI cards or RAM in a Standby state.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury
    www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan