    Ta

    Matt
    , Sep 12, 2006

  2. dobey Guest

    Did you do the basics and check the heatsink fan was working ect?

    Would the CPU run at that temp?

    Did the heatsink seem that hot to you? I expect you would get a burn at that
    temp.

    I would pull of the heatsink first and check the thermal paste is still
    there and hadn't dried out.
    clean it up and put some fresh stuff on. It sounds like the HW monitoring
    gizmo might be on the fritz, to use the technical term.

    ;-)

    dobey, Sep 12, 2006

  3. Dylan C Guest

    wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I powered up my trusty Abit NF7-S last night to be greeted with a siren
    > from the on-board noisemaker. A quick check of the abit monitor
    > revealed the the CPU was running at 208 degreesC (406 degF)!!! I
    > immediately shut down the system.
    >
    > As Windows didn't crash (and the machine wasn't smoking) I shutdown the
    > system.
    >
    > Note that the Athlon XP 2600+ isn't overclocked - its running at its
    > native speed.
    >
    > Has anybody come across anything resembling this problem on this or
    > similar hardware?
    >
    > Ta
    >
    > Matt

    Most likely this was caused by a failed temp sensor. Most newer CPUs
    won't function properly over 70C and around 90C they start to burn up.
    Of yours really got to 208, the machine would've crashed and you'd have
    seen smoke. That said, I wouldn't just disable the thermal
    shutdown/alarm without getting some kind of reading with a thermal
    probe. In fact, I'd probably use the situation to explain to my wife
    just why I need a non-concact IR thermometer. See it here:

    http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=10228&CategoryID=51

    -Dylan C
    Dylan C, Sep 12, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I powered up my trusty Abit NF7-S last night to be greeted with a siren
    > from the on-board noisemaker. A quick check of the abit monitor
    > revealed the the CPU was running at 208 degreesC (406 degF)!!! I
    > immediately shut down the system.
    >
    > As Windows didn't crash (and the machine wasn't smoking) I shutdown the
    > system.
    >
    > Note that the Athlon XP 2600+ isn't overclocked - its running at its
    > native speed.
    >
    > Has anybody come across anything resembling this problem on this or
    > similar hardware?
    >
    > Ta
    >
    > Matt

    My NF7 got screwy CPU temp readings like that with ABIT EQ v1.232
    ABIT EQ v1.230 works correctly.
    Double O'Malley, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Wookie Guest

    There would have been smoke and burning smells if it had got that hot
    (406degrees) .. it is a failed sensor. Make sure your CPU fan is working
    and that is about as good as you can do. You could always reseat and put
    some fresh artic silver on ... or whatever you use ... I wouldn't though ..
    I'd make sure the fan was working and then disable the temperature
    alarm/shutdown feature. The other option you have is to get a new MB.

    Wookie, Sep 13, 2006
  6. Pete Guest

    Double O'Malley <> wrote in news:UuMNg.11325$xQ1.6170
    @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > My NF7 got screwy CPU temp readings like that with ABIT EQ v1.232
    > ABIT EQ v1.230 works correctly.

    This is the answer. I have 208° on an NF7-S with v1.232 as well.
    Pete, Sep 14, 2006