Realtek vs SoundMax audio drivers - P6T

Discussion in 'Asus' started by TVeblen, Apr 25, 2009.

  1. TVeblen

    TVeblen Guest

    I have a P6T mainboard with the Realtek ALC1200 audio chip on a XP-SP3 OS.
    I am currently running the Realtek High Def Audio Driver 5.10.0.5657 (the
    latest available). The sound is fine, but I am unhappy with the recording
    controls in this software - there is only the master volume dial and no
    individual sliders for the various input devices.
    I am considering switching to the Soundmax Audio Driver v5.10.1.6520. I have
    SoundMax AC97 drivers on an older P4 rig and I like the controls offered
    there.
    Does anyone here use the Soundmax driver? Do you know if you get better
    recording control with this version? Is it the same interface as the AC97
    driver?
    Other than uninstalling the RealTek driver before installing the SoundMax
    driver, is there anything else that should be done to insure a smooth
    switchover?

    I do a lot of recording of "Wave Out Mix" or "Stereo Mix" input from various
    web sources, as well as Line In sources, using Nero WaveEditor 3 to create
    the MP3s. Currently the Input Level slider in WaveEditor has no effect on
    the recordings. In order to avoid clipping the recording level wave is very
    low (Between the 70s).

    If you know of a better group to post this to please advise. Thanks.

    TVeblen, Apr 25, 2009

  2. TVeblen

    Paul Guest

    TVeblen wrote:
    > I have a P6T mainboard with the Realtek ALC1200 audio chip on a XP-SP3 OS.
    > I am currently running the Realtek High Def Audio Driver 5.10.0.5657 (the
    > latest available). The sound is fine, but I am unhappy with the recording
    > controls in this software - there is only the master volume dial and no
    > individual sliders for the various input devices.
    > I am considering switching to the Soundmax Audio Driver v5.10.1.6520. I have
    > SoundMax AC97 drivers on an older P4 rig and I like the controls offered
    > there.
    > Does anyone here use the Soundmax driver? Do you know if you get better
    > recording control with this version? Is it the same interface as the AC97
    > driver?
    > Other than uninstalling the RealTek driver before installing the SoundMax
    > driver, is there anything else that should be done to insure a smooth
    > switchover?
    >
    > I do a lot of recording of "Wave Out Mix" or "Stereo Mix" input from various
    > web sources, as well as Line In sources, using Nero WaveEditor 3 to create
    > the MP3s. Currently the Input Level slider in WaveEditor has no effect on
    > the recordings. In order to avoid clipping the recording level wave is very
    > low (Between the 70s).
    >
    > If you know of a better group to post this to please advise. Thanks.

    Windows uses Plug and Play to identify hardware. Info includes
    things like VEN/DEV/SUBSYS. A driver should not install or instantiate,
    if VEN/DEV/SUBSYS doesn't match. The INF file helps guide the
    extent of the match.

    The system also distinguishes between AC97 and HDaudio. They are
    enumerated separately. So that will be wrong for a start, even
    before the system realizes that RealTek isn't the same thing
    as Soundmax.

    There are cases, where driver substitution works. For example,
    a RealTek AC97 driver is sometimes used to replace another company's
    AC97 driver. Perhaps an INF file is hacked in the package, so the VEN/DEV/SUBSYS
    matches. The reason this can work, is because some of the registers
    are standard. But what are the side effects ? I've read that
    on a six channel chip, you get two channel sound. The other four
    channels don't work. And I haven't heard any details, as to what
    recording features work.

    In summary, "don't do that".

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 25, 2009

  3. TVeblen

    TVeblen Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > TVeblen wrote:
    >> I have a P6T mainboard with the Realtek ALC1200 audio chip on a XP-SP3
    >> OS.
    >> I am currently running the Realtek High Def Audio Driver 5.10.0.5657
    >> (the latest available). The sound is fine, but I am unhappy with the
    >> recording controls in this software - there is only the master volume
    >> dial and no individual sliders for the various input devices.
    >> I am considering switching to the Soundmax Audio Driver v5.10.1.6520. I
    >> have SoundMax AC97 drivers on an older P4 rig and I like the controls
    >> offered there.
    >> Does anyone here use the Soundmax driver? Do you know if you get better
    >> recording control with this version? Is it the same interface as the AC97
    >> driver?
    >> Other than uninstalling the RealTek driver before installing the SoundMax
    >> driver, is there anything else that should be done to insure a smooth
    >> switchover?
    >>
    >> I do a lot of recording of "Wave Out Mix" or "Stereo Mix" input from
    >> various web sources, as well as Line In sources, using Nero WaveEditor 3
    >> to create the MP3s. Currently the Input Level slider in WaveEditor has no
    >> effect on the recordings. In order to avoid clipping the recording level
    >> wave is very low (Between the 70s).
    >>
    >> If you know of a better group to post this to please advise. Thanks.

    > Windows uses Plug and Play to identify hardware. Info includes
    > things like VEN/DEV/SUBSYS. A driver should not install or instantiate,
    > if VEN/DEV/SUBSYS doesn't match. The INF file helps guide the
    > extent of the match.
    >
    > The system also distinguishes between AC97 and HDaudio. They are
    > enumerated separately. So that will be wrong for a start, even
    > before the system realizes that RealTek isn't the same thing
    > as Soundmax.
    >
    > There are cases, where driver substitution works. For example,
    > a RealTek AC97 driver is sometimes used to replace another company's
    > AC97 driver. Perhaps an INF file is hacked in the package, so the
    > VEN/DEV/SUBSYS
    > matches. The reason this can work, is because some of the registers
    > are standard. But what are the side effects ? I've read that
    > on a six channel chip, you get two channel sound. The other four
    > channels don't work. And I haven't heard any details, as to what
    > recording features work.
    >
    > In summary, "don't do that".
    >
    > Paul

    Just to clarify: I do not intend to install AC97 drivers for this mainboard.
    I was looking at replacing the Realtek driver with the SoundMax driver for
    this mainboard and audio chip that is available from the Asus download site
    for the P6T. Does that change your recommendation?

    TVeblen, Apr 25, 2009
  4. TVeblen

    Paul Guest

    TVeblen wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> TVeblen wrote:
    >>> I have a P6T mainboard with the Realtek ALC1200 audio chip on a XP-SP3
    >>> OS.
    >>> I am currently running the Realtek High Def Audio Driver 5.10.0.5657
    >>> (the latest available). The sound is fine, but I am unhappy with the
    >>> recording controls in this software - there is only the master volume
    >>> dial and no individual sliders for the various input devices.
    >>> I am considering switching to the Soundmax Audio Driver v5.10.1.6520. I
    >>> have SoundMax AC97 drivers on an older P4 rig and I like the controls
    >>> offered there.
    >>> Does anyone here use the Soundmax driver? Do you know if you get better
    >>> recording control with this version? Is it the same interface as the AC97
    >>> driver?
    >>> Other than uninstalling the RealTek driver before installing the SoundMax
    >>> driver, is there anything else that should be done to insure a smooth
    >>> switchover?
    >>>
    >>> I do a lot of recording of "Wave Out Mix" or "Stereo Mix" input from
    >>> various web sources, as well as Line In sources, using Nero WaveEditor 3
    >>> to create the MP3s. Currently the Input Level slider in WaveEditor has no
    >>> effect on the recordings. In order to avoid clipping the recording level
    >>> wave is very low (Between the 70s).
    >>>
    >>> If you know of a better group to post this to please advise. Thanks.

    >> Windows uses Plug and Play to identify hardware. Info includes
    >> things like VEN/DEV/SUBSYS. A driver should not install or instantiate,
    >> if VEN/DEV/SUBSYS doesn't match. The INF file helps guide the
    >> extent of the match.
    >>
    >> The system also distinguishes between AC97 and HDaudio. They are
    >> enumerated separately. So that will be wrong for a start, even
    >> before the system realizes that RealTek isn't the same thing
    >> as Soundmax.
    >>
    >> There are cases, where driver substitution works. For example,
    >> a RealTek AC97 driver is sometimes used to replace another company's
    >> AC97 driver. Perhaps an INF file is hacked in the package, so the
    >> VEN/DEV/SUBSYS
    >> matches. The reason this can work, is because some of the registers
    >> are standard. But what are the side effects ? I've read that
    >> on a six channel chip, you get two channel sound. The other four
    >> channels don't work. And I haven't heard any details, as to what
    >> recording features work.
    >>
    >> In summary, "don't do that".
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Just to clarify: I do not intend to install AC97 drivers for this mainboard.
    > I was looking at replacing the Realtek driver with the SoundMax driver for
    > this mainboard and audio chip that is available from the Asus download site
    > for the P6T. Does that change your recommendation?

    I'm only aware of one driver substitution case. That was using a RealTek
    AC97 driver, for some other brand of AC97 hardware chip. I understand the
    INF needed to be hacked (because that was mentioned), but no examples were
    given of what exactly they did. And the results weren't always fully
    functional (like only 2 of 6 channels working).

    I haven't heard of that kind of hack being done with HDaudio.

    The background noise level on an onboard sound solution, might not be
    very good. Perhaps an add-in PCI card solution would work out better.
    You'd need to find some pictures on the web, of what functions existed
    in the control panels, to see if the mixer had enough features or not.

    I can see a few groups when I enter "sound" in my newsreader search
    function, but when I tried a couple, there were no recent posts there.
    Try a Google Groups search first, and see what newsgroups the sound card
    questions are being posted in.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 25, 2009
  5. TVeblen

    TVeblen Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > TVeblen wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Windows uses Plug and Play to identify hardware. Info includes
    >>> things like VEN/DEV/SUBSYS. A driver should not install or instantiate,
    >>> if VEN/DEV/SUBSYS doesn't match. The INF file helps guide the
    >>> extent of the match.
    >>>
    >>> The system also distinguishes between AC97 and HDaudio. They are
    >>> enumerated separately. So that will be wrong for a start, even
    >>> before the system realizes that RealTek isn't the same thing
    >>> as Soundmax.
    >>>
    >>> There are cases, where driver substitution works. For example,
    >>> a RealTek AC97 driver is sometimes used to replace another company's
    >>> AC97 driver. Perhaps an INF file is hacked in the package, so the
    >>> VEN/DEV/SUBSYS
    >>> matches. The reason this can work, is because some of the registers
    >>> are standard. But what are the side effects ? I've read that
    >>> on a six channel chip, you get two channel sound. The other four
    >>> channels don't work. And I haven't heard any details, as to what
    >>> recording features work.
    >>>
    >>> In summary, "don't do that".
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Just to clarify: I do not intend to install AC97 drivers for this
    >> mainboard. I was looking at replacing the Realtek driver with the
    >> SoundMax driver for this mainboard and audio chip that is available from
    >> the Asus download site for the P6T. Does that change your recommendation?
    >>

    > I'm only aware of one driver substitution case. That was using a RealTek
    > AC97 driver, for some other brand of AC97 hardware chip. I understand the
    > INF needed to be hacked (because that was mentioned), but no examples were
    > given of what exactly they did. And the results weren't always fully
    > functional (like only 2 of 6 channels working).
    >
    > I haven't heard of that kind of hack being done with HDaudio.
    >
    > The background noise level on an onboard sound solution, might not be
    > very good. Perhaps an add-in PCI card solution would work out better.
    > You'd need to find some pictures on the web, of what functions existed
    > in the control panels, to see if the mixer had enough features or not.
    >
    > I can see a few groups when I enter "sound" in my newsreader search
    > function, but when I tried a couple, there were no recent posts there.
    > Try a Google Groups search first, and see what newsgroups the sound card
    > questions are being posted in.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks Paul. Yes I checked groups and also found the ghost towns, that's why
    I'm here. Also googled for quite a while - nothing found is applicable to my
    narrow issue.
    But I respect your advice and will proceed with extreme caution. I may just
    leave well enough alone (again).

    TVeblen, Apr 25, 2009
  6. TVeblen

    GMAN Guest

    In article <gsvean$5ha$>, "TVeblen" <> wrote:

    >"Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> TVeblen wrote:
    >>> I have a P6T mainboard with the Realtek ALC1200 audio chip on a XP-SP3
    >>> OS.
    >>> I am currently running the Realtek High Def Audio Driver 5.10.0.5657
    >>> (the latest available). The sound is fine, but I am unhappy with the
    >>> recording controls in this software - there is only the master volume
    >>> dial and no individual sliders for the various input devices.
    >>> I am considering switching to the Soundmax Audio Driver v5.10.1.6520. I
    >>> have SoundMax AC97 drivers on an older P4 rig and I like the controls
    >>> offered there.
    >>> Does anyone here use the Soundmax driver? Do you know if you get better
    >>> recording control with this version? Is it the same interface as the AC97
    >>> driver?
    >>> Other than uninstalling the RealTek driver before installing the SoundMax
    >>> driver, is there anything else that should be done to insure a smooth
    >>> switchover?
    >>>
    >>> I do a lot of recording of "Wave Out Mix" or "Stereo Mix" input from
    >>> various web sources, as well as Line In sources, using Nero WaveEditor 3
    >>> to create the MP3s. Currently the Input Level slider in WaveEditor has no
    >>> effect on the recordings. In order to avoid clipping the recording level
    >>> wave is very low (Between the 70s).
    >>>
    >>> If you know of a better group to post this to please advise. Thanks.

    >> Windows uses Plug and Play to identify hardware. Info includes
    >> things like VEN/DEV/SUBSYS. A driver should not install or instantiate,
    >> if VEN/DEV/SUBSYS doesn't match. The INF file helps guide the
    >> extent of the match.
    >>
    >> The system also distinguishes between AC97 and HDaudio. They are
    >> enumerated separately. So that will be wrong for a start, even
    >> before the system realizes that RealTek isn't the same thing
    >> as Soundmax.
    >>
    >> There are cases, where driver substitution works. For example,
    >> a RealTek AC97 driver is sometimes used to replace another company's
    >> AC97 driver. Perhaps an INF file is hacked in the package, so the
    >> VEN/DEV/SUBSYS
    >> matches. The reason this can work, is because some of the registers
    >> are standard. But what are the side effects ? I've read that
    >> on a six channel chip, you get two channel sound. The other four
    >> channels don't work. And I haven't heard any details, as to what
    >> recording features work.
    >>
    >> In summary, "don't do that".
    >>
    >> Paul

    >Just to clarify: I do not intend to install AC97 drivers for this mainboard.
    >I was looking at replacing the Realtek driver with the SoundMax driver for
    >this mainboard and audio chip that is available from the Asus download site
    >for the P6T. Does that change your recommendation?

    If there isnt a Soundmax driver for the P6T, you could use the one from the
    P5Q-E. Its the same sound chipset.

    GMAN, Apr 26, 2009
  7. TVeblen

    TVeblen Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gsvean$5ha$>, "TVeblen"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Windows uses Plug and Play to identify hardware. Info includes
    >>> things like VEN/DEV/SUBSYS. A driver should not install or instantiate,
    >>> if VEN/DEV/SUBSYS doesn't match. The INF file helps guide the
    >>> extent of the match.
    >>>
    >>> The system also distinguishes between AC97 and HDaudio. They are
    >>> enumerated separately. So that will be wrong for a start, even
    >>> before the system realizes that RealTek isn't the same thing
    >>> as Soundmax.
    >>>
    >>> There are cases, where driver substitution works. For example,
    >>> a RealTek AC97 driver is sometimes used to replace another company's
    >>> AC97 driver. Perhaps an INF file is hacked in the package, so the
    >>> VEN/DEV/SUBSYS
    >>> matches. The reason this can work, is because some of the registers
    >>> are standard. But what are the side effects ? I've read that
    >>> on a six channel chip, you get two channel sound. The other four
    >>> channels don't work. And I haven't heard any details, as to what
    >>> recording features work.
    >>>
    >>> In summary, "don't do that".
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >>Just to clarify: I do not intend to install AC97 drivers for this
    >>mainboard.
    >>I was looking at replacing the Realtek driver with the SoundMax driver for
    >>this mainboard and audio chip that is available from the Asus download
    >>site
    >>for the P6T. Does that change your recommendation?
    >>

    > If there isnt a Soundmax driver for the P6T, you could use the one from
    > the
    > P5Q-E. Its the same sound chipset.

    Yes, there is a Soundmax driver for the P6T at Asus. Do you use this driver?

    TVeblen, Apr 26, 2009
  8. TVeblen

    CSquared Guest

    > Thanks Paul. Yes I checked groups and also found the ghost towns, that's
    > why I'm here. Also googled for quite a while - nothing found is applicable
    > to my narrow issue.
    > But I respect your advice and will proceed with extreme caution. I may
    > just leave well enough alone (again).

    You might want to have a look at a group like alt.music.home-studio. ISTR
    there are a couple of other home recording groups that might provide some
    useful information. I just searched Google Groups with the words: realtek
    soundmax driver, and got about 12,000 hits. Hopefully there is some info
    that would help you in there somewhere.

    Later,
    Charlie C.

    CSquared, Apr 26, 2009
  9. TVeblen

    TVeblen Guest

    "CSquared" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Paul. Yes I checked groups and also found the ghost towns, that's
    >> why I'm here. Also googled for quite a while - nothing found is
    >> applicable to my narrow issue.
    >> But I respect your advice and will proceed with extreme caution. I may
    >> just leave well enough alone (again).
    >>

    > You might want to have a look at a group like alt.music.home-studio. ISTR
    > there are a couple of other home recording groups that might provide some
    > useful information. I just searched Google Groups with the words: realtek
    > soundmax driver, and got about 12,000 hits. Hopefully there is some info
    > that would help you in there somewhere.
    >
    > Later,
    > Charlie C.

    I'll check that out. Thanks.