Reasons why my machine will not start up at all (power okay just no Bios screen)

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by A_Newsreader, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. A_Newsreader

    A_Newsreader Guest

    Hi there,

    I'm trying to resurect a machine but for some strange reason, it isn't
    firing up on bootup.

    If I power on, the machine whirls into some sort of life, but for
    example the it won't boot up from the CD, from the floppy nor from the
    HD.

    Any ideas ??

    The power comes on, but the monitor doesn't fire up.

    I'm wondering whether it'd be worth checking the Ram, taking it out,
    putting it back in etc, checked cables everything looks fine.

    Any ideas how to get this thing back to the land of the living.

    Even if I put a floppy in the drive - nothing !!

    What could be up ??

    Thanks in anticipation of your help.

    MB is a Supermicro P6DGU - dual P3 1000, 1024mb ram, Maxtor D740X-6L
    75gb, Matrox G400dualhead.

    I tested the hard disk in another machine, it's fine, (it's got 2
    partitions, and 15gb of unformatted free space). Maxtor utilities
    said the disk is fine.

    I'm 100% certain this has nothing to do with the HD (this is a new hd
    and this problem was happening with prior with a different HD).

    Thanks.

    A_Newsreader, Sep 1, 2004

  2. A_Newsreader

    daytripper Guest

    On 1 Sep 2004 12:31:16 -0700, (A_Newsreader) wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I'm trying to resurect a machine but for some strange reason, it isn't
    >firing up on bootup.
    >
    >If I power on, the machine whirls into some sort of life, but for
    >example the it won't boot up from the CD, from the floppy nor from the
    >HD.
    >
    >Any ideas ??
    >
    >The power comes on, but the monitor doesn't fire up.
    >
    >I'm wondering whether it'd be worth checking the Ram, taking it out,
    >putting it back in etc, checked cables everything looks fine.
    >
    >Any ideas how to get this thing back to the land of the living.
    >
    >Even if I put a floppy in the drive - nothing !!
    >
    >What could be up ??
    >
    >Thanks in anticipation of your help.
    >
    >MB is a Supermicro P6DGU - dual P3 1000, 1024mb ram, Maxtor D740X-6L
    >75gb, Matrox G400dualhead.
    >
    >I tested the hard disk in another machine, it's fine, (it's got 2
    >partitions, and 15gb of unformatted free space). Maxtor utilities
    >said the disk is fine.
    >
    >I'm 100% certain this has nothing to do with the HD (this is a new hd
    >and this problem was happening with prior with a different HD).
    >
    >Thanks.

    If you're not even seeing a bios splash screen, you're correct that the
    problem is highly unlikely to have anything to do with the hard drive.

    Try reducing the problem to a single dimm (if possible) and single processor
    (definitely possible) and disconnect or remove everything other than the video
    card (you don't need hard drives, CDROM, diskette drives, network cables, etc
    to start). If you still don't get to a bios splash, perhaps the power supply
    is toast, or the bios rom has gone to Heaven...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Sep 1, 2004

  3. A_Newsreader

    Nick Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I'm trying to resurect a machine but for some strange reason, it isn't
    >firing up on bootup.
    >
    >If I power on, the machine whirls into some sort of life, but for
    >example the it won't boot up from the CD, from the floppy nor from the
    >HD.
    >
    >Any ideas ??
    >
    >The power comes on, but the monitor doesn't fire up.
    >
    >I'm wondering whether it'd be worth checking the Ram, taking it out,
    >putting it back in etc, checked cables everything looks fine.
    >
    >Any ideas how to get this thing back to the land of the living.
    >
    >Even if I put a floppy in the drive - nothing !!
    >
    >What could be up ??
    >
    >Thanks in anticipation of your help.
    >
    >MB is a Supermicro P6DGU - dual P3 1000, 1024mb ram, Maxtor D740X-6L
    >75gb, Matrox G400dualhead.

    If it is a P3 slot, maybe that the connector is a bit dirty. I had a
    similar problem and cleaning with alcohol the connector solved it

    Nick

    Nick, Sep 2, 2004
  4. A_Newsreader

    A_Newsreader Guest

    Hi Daytripper,

    From what I've read, it could also perhaps be the battery on the mb.
    I'm going to test that later today.

    I'll let you all know how it goes.

    Thanks for the ideas - though I don't think/hope it's not what you
    suggest !!

    A_Newsreader, Sep 2, 2004
  5. On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:31:16 UTC in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,
    (A_Newsreader) wrote:

    > I'm trying to resurect a machine but for some strange reason, it isn't
    > firing up on bootup.
    >
    > If I power on, the machine whirls into some sort of life, but for
    > example the it won't boot up from the CD, from the floppy nor from the
    > HD.

    I've had machines do this when the IDE cable is connected the wrong way
    around or when the AGP card is not inserted completely (needs to go in
    about another 0.1mm!). Otherwise you don't say what sort of work you'd
    just been doing on it so it could be anything - mobo shorted on the
    mounting plates etc or just plain dead.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

    Trevor Hemsley, Sep 2, 2004
  6. A_Newsreader

    A_Newsreader Guest

    Hi Nick,

    I tried everything on this machine that I could think of.

    Haven't tried removing, cleaning and replacing the Processors though.

    Is that what you are suggesting ??

    I was wondering if it could be the on-board battery - don't know how
    long those things are meant to last.

    Regards.

    A_Newsreader, Sep 2, 2004
  7. A_Newsreader

    A_Newsreader Guest

    Hi Nick,

    Yippee !!!

    Yes, that fixed it - thanks !!!

    A_Newsreader, Sep 2, 2004
  8. A_Newsreader

    A_Newsreader Guest

    Hi Trevor,

    Not sure I understand how an IDE cable can get put in the wrong way around ??

    It's got a notch in it that has to marry up with the recipient connector ??

    Or is there another consideration to be made ??

    A_Newsreader, Sep 2, 2004
  9. A_Newsreader

    CJT Guest

    Re: Reasons why my machine will not start up at all (power okay justno Bios screen)

    A_Newsreader wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm trying to resurect a machine but for some strange reason, it isn't
    > firing up on bootup.
    >
    > If I power on, the machine whirls into some sort of life, but for
    > example the it won't boot up from the CD, from the floppy nor from the
    > HD.

    FWIW, I've seen that when the CPU fan became disconnected -- I think
    some BIOS may check for fan spinning before allowing a boot.

    CJT, Sep 2, 2004
  10. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:16:27 UTC in
    (A_Newsreader) wrote:

    > Not sure I understand how an IDE cable can get put in the wrong way around ??
    >
    > It's got a notch in it that has to marry up with the recipient connector ??
    >
    > Or is there another consideration to be made ??

    There are cables that don't have the notch.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

    Trevor Hemsley, Sep 2, 2004
  11. A_Newsreader

    J. Clarke Guest

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:16:27 UTC in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,
    > (A_Newsreader) wrote:
    >
    >> Not sure I understand how an IDE cable can get put in the wrong way
    >> around ??
    >>
    >> It's got a notch in it that has to marry up with the recipient connector
    >> ??
    >>
    >> Or is there another consideration to be made ??

    > There are cables that don't have the notch.

    And even with the notch they can be forced.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Sep 3, 2004
  12. A_Newsreader

    Nick Guest

    On 2 Sep 2004 06:53:05 -0700, (A_Newsreader)
    wrote:

    >Hi Nick,
    >
    >Yippee !!!
    >
    >Yes, that fixed it - thanks !!!