Reboot during games and DVD play?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by J?j?, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    Hi,

    in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
    During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
    games.
    I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
    4h.

    Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
    Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
    And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
    DV, I presume the problem is here.

    I've the latest drivers.

    any idea?

    Thanks for your help.

    Jerome.
    PS: please reply by email.

    J?j?, Apr 5, 2004

  2. J?j?

    blah Guest

    Bit more info on your set-up would be good.
    Have you checked for viruses, etc.. any thing installed recently..

    blah, Apr 5, 2004

  3. J?j?

    patrickp Guest

    "J?j?" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
    > During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
    > games.
    > I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
    > 4h.
    >
    > Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
    > Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
    > And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
    > DV, I presume the problem is here.
    >
    > I've the latest drivers.
    >
    > any idea?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Jerome.
    > PS: please reply by email.

    VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers installed;
    also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings in
    your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.

    Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
    strange sidekick powers like what I do...

    patrickp

    patrickp, Apr 5, 2004
  4. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    Hi,

    No, nothing new on my computer.
    My config:
    * P4 2ghz
    * ATI Radeon 8500 DV
    * 512 mb of RAM

    I've added a CD burner last week, but all works fine after its
    installation.
    I've no viruses.

    What I've tested on my computer after the problem starts:
    * Changing the memory from a slot to another
    * reinstalling ATI drivers, updated the motherboard (SIS) drivers
    * reinstalling DirectX 9b
    * complete virus check
    * Scandisk, defrag
    * creating a new user profile

    But all of this doesn't works. I reboot again.
    If the problem is the CD Burner, why my reboots problems start 1 week
    after its installation and not just after its installation?

    J?j?, Apr 5, 2004
  5. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    ok...
    there is my config:
    chipset: Sis 645
    MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
    Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
    Poc.: P4 2ghz
    Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
    Sound: SB Audigy 2
    HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
    1 DVD Rom
    1 CDRW
    Network: DLink DFE 538TX

    I've the latest drivers for each component.
    I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.

    sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen

    J?j?, Apr 5, 2004
  6. J?j?

    patrickp Guest

    On 5 Apr 2004 15:55:30 -0700, (J?j?) wrote:

    >ok...
    >there is my config:
    >chipset: Sis 645
    >MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
    >Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
    >Poc.: P4 2ghz
    >Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
    >Sound: SB Audigy 2
    >HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
    >1 DVD Rom
    >1 CDRW
    >Network: DLink DFE 538TX
    >
    >I've the latest drivers for each component.
    >I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.
    >

    >sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen

    What OS are you using, Jerome? Also, how have you got your drives set
    up?

    If you're using a Sis chipset, it won't be the PCI Latency bug; that
    specifically affects various VIA chipsets only.

    patrickp

    patrickp, Apr 6, 2004
  7. J?j?

    leo Guest

    "patrickp" < - take 5 to email me> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On 5 Apr 2004 15:55:30 -0700, (J?j?) wrote:
    >
    > >ok...
    > >there is my config:
    > >chipset: Sis 645
    > >MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
    > >Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
    > >Poc.: P4 2ghz
    > >Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
    > >Sound: SB Audigy 2
    > >HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
    > >1 DVD Rom
    > >1 CDRW
    > >Network: DLink DFE 538TX
    > >
    > >I've the latest drivers for each component.
    > >I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.
    > >

    > >sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen
    > >

    > What OS are you using, Jerome? Also, how have you got your drives set
    > up?
    >
    > If you're using a Sis chipset, it won't be the PCI Latency bug; that
    > specifically affects various VIA chipsets only.
    >
    > patrickp
    >

    > >"patrickp" < - take five to email me> wrote in

    message news:<Em8cc.53$Xi.32@newsfe1-win>...
    > >> "J?j?" <> wrote in message

    for

    > >> VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers

    installed;
    > >> also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings

    in
    > >> your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.
    > >>
    > >> Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
    > >> strange sidekick powers like what I do...
    > >>
    > >> patrickp

    Did you install the SiS IDE driver? If so, what version?

    leo, Apr 6, 2004
  8. J?j?

    [neil] Guest

    "J?j?" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > No, nothing new on my computer.
    > My config:
    > * P4 2ghz
    > * ATI Radeon 8500 DV
    > * 512 mb of RAM
    >
    > I've added a CD burner last week, but all works fine after its
    > installation.
    > I've no viruses.

    Have you tried removing the CD burner? Does that stop the random reboots?

    It could even be something as strange as your psu is at it's limit, and
    adding another power hungry device pushes it over the edge...

    Neil

    [neil], Apr 6, 2004
  9. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    Its a Windows XP Pro version

    And Yes, I've installed the Sis IDE driver to try to resolve the
    issue, but the problem as started before I install these drivers and
    installing this driver don't change anything.

    I've also deactivated the VPU recoverer without any more success.

    My IDE drive as 3 partitions (10, 20 and 30gb)

    I'll try to unlug the CDRW, maybe its a power problem and with the CD
    I consume too many power.

    J?j?, Apr 6, 2004
  10. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    I'll try this tonight.

    In the past my computer had 2 HD and 1 DVD
    now I've 1 HD 1 DVd 1 CDRW

    to follow...

    J?j?, Apr 6, 2004
  11. J?j?

    Wblane Guest

    Sounds like overheating to me -- either the vid-card or the CPU.

    Wblane, Apr 7, 2004
  12. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    My system is not overclocked
    I've unplug my CDRW to reduce the power usage, but my system crash again !
    I've just installed the catalyst 4.4 without more results.

    my fans (CPU and Video card) works fine

    sniff :((

    J?j?, Apr 8, 2004
  13. J?j?

    Asestar Guest

    I have this exact same problem with my Hercules 8500LE 64mb card.

    My sys:
    Duron1600MHz
    Abit KT7A - v1,2
    Hercules 3dp 8500LE 64mb AGP4x
    512mb (PC133) 2x128, 1x256
    Soundblaster Live digital 5.1
    Enermax 365WhisperSeries 350Watt - <NEW
    Seagate 40GB hdd - 5400rpm
    WesternDigital WD1200jb 120GB hdd - 7200rpm
    LG CDRW 52x32x52x - <NEW
    Panasonic DVD rom
    WinXP pro sp1
    DX9.0b
    CAT-4.2

    So you see, we have basically nothing in common, except maybe 8500 card ?
    I'm pretty sure this card is dead. Sorry to say, but your's might be as
    well.

    Asestar, Apr 8, 2004
  14. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    Well...
    I continue to have my problems...
    now my computer reboot randomly.
    I'm in windows to view a web page, and I reboot!!! :(
    So, out of games, I've some problems.

    Also, my computer don't boot normally the morning.
    at the begining of the windows loading process, my screen becomes
    black and I must reboot my computer, then I can boot normally (or near
    normally).

    Also, during a game, I've received a video card error through the VPU
    recoverer and I've sent it to ATI.
    I think this error comfirm that the problem is my 8500DV.

    I'm waiting a response from ATI...

    J?j?, Apr 18, 2004
  15. J?j?

    Asestar Guest

    Sorry to hear that. I just changed radeon with a new 9600SE, and while it's
    not as fast, it is rock solid. No more crashes in any thing. I did not
    changed any thing else, and crashes are gone.

    Asestar, Apr 18, 2004
  16. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    I think I'll done the same action...
    with the new games and the power required, I think its not a so bad idea ;)

    J?j?, Apr 21, 2004
  17. J?j?

    Asestar Guest

    "J?j?" <> wrote in message
    > I think I'll done the same action...
    > with the new games and the power required, I think its not a so bad idea

    ;)

    It was to some extent, if I would be playing new games on this machine.
    9600SE is marginally SLOWER than 8500. However, it does overclock very
    nicely :) Running at (375/225) compaired to std. 325/200, it does become
    somewhat warm.

    Asestar, Apr 21, 2004
  18. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    :(((

    My problems becomes huge...
    Now my computer don't boot normally.
    When I start it, his freeze before windows starts.
    I must stop it and restart it.
    Then I boot normally... then I login in windows, my antivirus starts,
    and I crash during the scan!!! (after a few minutes)
    Then the system works fine until I play in a game... or sometimes if I
    view a video/dvd.

    well... now I'm not sure if the pb is the video card.

    J?j?, Apr 28, 2004
  19. J?j?

    Asestar Guest

    Try getting a new card from some store that have like 30/15 day moneyback
    policy or something. Here is Norway, many stores are obliged to have it.
    See if that new card can cure your system.
    If not, reture the card back, and concentrate on ram or psu?

    Just so you know, my system was unstable like a OD'ed puppy, crashing at a
    first sight of overlay or 3d app. Now it's rock solid.
    Running DC++/SETI for 31 hours straight, including having run 3 sessions of
    UFO-AfterMath, 1 of NfsU, 10-12 hours of ATI-GORGOYLE screensaver. So it's
    pretty stable.

    Asestar, Apr 28, 2004
  20. J?j?

    J?j? Guest

    Well, I've asked the tech support of ATI to request a new cards
    because my card is always under waranty.
    I wait for further information from this side.

    But a strange point on my problem.
    When my computer is started for more then 6h, then I crash less (or
    none)
    Its like if my system is "hot", then there is less problems.

    a friend had the same problem and changing the slot of his memory has
    resolve the problem. but in my case, no result.

    Well... wait and see :)

    J?j?, May 2, 2004