Recommended SoundMAX Audio Drivers for P4C800-E Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bazza, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. Bazza

    Bazza Guest

    I'm about to reformat & re-install WinXP Pro SP2 on my PC & I'm
    wondering what SoundMAX Audio Drivers are recommended to use.

    On the ASUS support page for the P4C800-E Deluxe it lists
    v5.12.01.3630 which are 3 YEARS OLD !!!

    Looking at some of the other MB's I found for example, v5.12.01.5290.
    But even they are 2 years old.

    Surely there are more recent versions available.

    Which version of the SoundMAX Audio Drivers should I use & where can
    I download them from?

    Cheers
    Bazza...

    1. Advertising

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <4498b120$0$2804$>, "Bazza"
    <> wrote:

    > I'm about to reformat & re-install WinXP Pro SP2 on my PC & I'm
    > wondering what SoundMAX Audio Drivers are recommended to use.
    >
    > On the ASUS support page for the P4C800-E Deluxe it lists
    > v5.12.01.3630 which are 3 YEARS OLD !!!
    >
    > Looking at some of the other MB's I found for example, v5.12.01.5290.
    > But even they are 2 years old.
    >
    > Surely there are more recent versions available.
    >
    > Which version of the SoundMAX Audio Drivers should I use & where can
    > I download them from?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Bazza...

    If you go to the Support:Download page on the Asus web site, and
    search for "P5P800", the P5P800 motherboard also has an ICH5
    Southbridge and AD1985 sound chip. I used the 5150 driver from
    there, with my P4C800-E Deluxe.

    (Click "Drivers")
    http://support.asus.com.tw/download...product=1&f_name=&type=Latest&SLanguage=en-us

    I never tried 5242, which has the Soundblaster stuff included.
    The Soundblaster stuff is optional. When you download 5242,
    you are downloading the same 50MB of stuff mentioned here:

    http://www.soundblaster.com/MBupgrade/

    What I cannot tell you, is if the Soundmax portion of 5242
    still works or not. I didn't waste time on it, and in fact
    I've given up on my AD1985 output. I use a separate sound
    card now, because the output was so poor in games. (If you
    turn your head position in a game, suddenly the treble
    would disappear. That is what caused me to reach for the
    first cheap sound card I had lying around.)

    I think it is safe to say, that Analog Devices knows diddly
    about PC sound standards. The SoundMax.com web site offers
    no driver downloads, which so many other PC chip makers have
    done over the years. To find more recent drivers, means
    searching for your chip combination (ICH5/AD1985) on some
    other manufacturer's product. For example, Dell had a more
    recent driver than Asus.

    If you have the cash, find yourself a proper sound card. At
    least there might be better adherence to standards.

    Paul

    1. Advertising

  3. Bazza

    Bazza Guest

    "Paul" wrote...

    > If you go to the Support:Download page on the Asus web site, and
    > search for "P5P800", the P5P800 motherboard also has an ICH5
    > Southbridge and AD1985 sound chip. I used the 5150 driver from
    > there, with my P4C800-E Deluxe.
    >
    > (Click "Drivers")
    > http://support.asus.com.tw/download...product=1&f_name=&type=Latest&SLanguage=en-us
    >
    > I never tried 5242, which has the Soundblaster stuff included.
    > The Soundblaster stuff is optional. When you download 5242,
    > you are downloading the same 50MB of stuff mentioned here:
    >
    > http://www.soundblaster.com/MBupgrade/
    >
    > What I cannot tell you, is if the Soundmax portion of 5242
    > still works or not. I didn't waste time on it, and in fact
    > I've given up on my AD1985 output. I use a separate sound
    > card now, because the output was so poor in games. (If you
    > turn your head position in a game, suddenly the treble
    > would disappear. That is what caused me to reach for the
    > first cheap sound card I had lying around.)
    >
    > I think it is safe to say, that Analog Devices knows diddly
    > about PC sound standards. The SoundMax.com web site offers
    > no driver downloads, which so many other PC chip makers have
    > done over the years. To find more recent drivers, means
    > searching for your chip combination (ICH5/AD1985) on some
    > other manufacturer's product. For example, Dell had a more
    > recent driver than Asus.
    >
    > If you have the cash, find yourself a proper sound card. At
    > least there might be better adherence to standards.
    >
    > Paul

    Paul,

    Thanks for your response. I completely agree with your statement ...
    "Analog Devices knows diddly about PC sound standards." They are
    hopeless. RealTek, on the other hand, frequently release updates.

    Anyway, I only play games, music, etc. occasionally so I don't really
    need a separate sound card. However, it would be nice to have the
    SoundMAX drivers updated occasionally to fix bugs & the like.

    I've downloaded versions 3630, 5150, 5242 & 5290. All but 5242 are
    around 22mb & the contents of these are very similar. I'll try 5290
    1st. If I experience problems then I'll use 5150.

    Cheers & thanks very muchly
    Bazza...