Reformatting a Windows XP, lots of dead ends, help!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by SLyTX, Aug 5, 2006.

1. SLyTX

SLyTX

Alright so im working on my girlfriends Dell, it needs a reformat. Its on Windows XP Pro SP2 and I have her windows CD. Ive tried reformatting by inserting the windows CD and restarting, selecting Windows Setup and it proceeds to what I want to do, asking if I want to install Windows, Repair, or exit. I select repair. It then goes to the Recovery Console. I select the Windows installation, there is only one, and press enter. I had to disable the Admin pass prompt at this point so I could continue. I type in "Format C:" and it warns me about losing all data. I t asks (y/N) and i type Y, and press enter. It then just goes to the prompt like it expects me to type something in, shouldnt it start the format process now?

I have also tried by going in and deleting the C partition, but it tells me "setup is unable to perform the requested operation. This partition conatins temporary Setup files" and wont let me proceed. I have gone into BIOS and selected to boot from the CD drive first and this still goes on. How can I reformat now?

SLyTX, Aug 5, 2006
Ask a Question