    help.

    Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

    Conan Kelly

    Conan Kelly, Apr 23, 2006

  2. I was the one that recommended it. Its sometimes harder to get to your
    decoder install from a name machine. Usually its not just in the box. I
    would look on the dell website under the support and downloads. There
    should be an install program for it.

    Use the decoder check util to figure out what decoder you have installed.
    Then look for it on the dell website under drivers and software for your
    make/model. Sometimes you can just get the oem version from the software
    makers website. The most common packaged decoders are windvd, powerdvd and
    purevideo.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en

    --

    Bryan Socha
    MSMVP - Media Center

    Bryan Socha \(MVP-MCE\), Apr 23, 2006

  3. Conan Kelly

    Mike Guest

    In general, you just reinstall you DVD software (i.e. PowerDVD, WinDVD,
    etc.) then the codec will be available to Media Center and Windows Media
    Player. You don't need to play movies/shows with your actual DVD software,
    you just need to install it.

    The system should have come with a reinstall disk for DVD playing software.
    The reason it worked when you got it was that it was already installed.

    You can purchase codecs separately, but why bother when you already have
    paid for one with the system?

    -Mike

    Mike, Apr 23, 2006
  4. Lately name computers do not ship disks with their systems anymore and if
    they do, they are reinstall disks where you have to wipe your entire
    machine. the ones with burners theres a utility to take the reinstall off
    the hidden hard drive partition and create your own dvds/cds.

    It makes it a little hard to reinstall a specific piece of software without
    reformating your machine. A lot of times your forced to hope there is an
    update available on their support site. If its a name compuer, you don't
    need to buy it again.

    --
    Bryan Socha
    MSMVP - Media Center

    Bryan Socha \(MVP-MCE\), Apr 23, 2006
  5. Conan Kelly

    Mike Guest

    I know that Cyberlink offers a free trial of PDVD on their website. I wonder
    if when it expires, the codecs aren't still available to other programs;
    maybe the expiration just keeps PDVD from running, and if you're not using
    it anyway . . .

    Also (for PDVD), you could use Ghost8 to extract the .sim (license) file
    from the Dell restore partition and paste it into a downloaded trial of the
    same version. Or copy and register all of the *.ax files manually.

    Mike, Apr 23, 2006