Remote wake or turn on

Discussion in 'Apple' started by John Young, Aug 17, 2012.

  1. John Young

    John Young Guest

    Every thing is running on ML using Back to My Mac. Two different WiFi
    connections. Home Computer is a Mac Pro. Travel computer is a Mac Book
    Pro. Router is a Airport Extreme with my iCloud ID entered in the
    appropriate place. One iCloud acc with both computers signed into the
    same iCloud acc. I know the common iCloud acc is what lets the two
    computers connect even on different Wifi connections. Connecting the two
    computers works fine then screen sharing works great.

    My one and only big problem is I can't/don't want to go vacation and not
    at least let my Mac Pro Sleep. I go for up to a month at a time. I can
    not get My Mac Pro to wake form sleep. In System Preferences/Energy
    Saver I do have "Wake for network access" checked and I thought that
    would do it but no luck. I have tried it with my Mac Pro connected with
    ethernet and wifi and both work fine. I have installed no extra software
    everything I need to connect and screen share seems to be built into
    Mountain Lion.

    I have seen some utilities ETC. that work if you are on the same network
    but none that work if on different networks. Some claim to but I can't
    get them to work. I have a disk that is a clone in my Mac Pro for
    testing and have used that with apps like Splashtop2 and the built in
    features in ML seem to work much better.

    Any help form the would be greatly appreciated.
     
    1. Advertising

  2. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    John Young wrote:
    > Every thing is running on ML using Back to My Mac. Two different WiFi
    > connections. Home Computer is a Mac Pro. Travel computer is a Mac Book
    > Pro. Router is a Airport Extreme with my iCloud ID entered in the
    > appropriate place.



    The "wake on lan" only work on hardwarired ethernet as I recall (noy
    100% sure). It is a layer 2 protocol (ethernet level) which builds the
    ethernet packet in a special way. And the sender need to know the
    ethernet address of the computer to wake so it can build the packet
    directed at it.

    I believe that while the protocol theoretically allows one to write such
    an application to send the "wake up" packet to the mac, Apple expects
    you to use one of its routers to do that job. (Airport something).

    I read up on this some time ago and it is sort of wishy washy in my
    memory by now. But this may give you some track to follow to get more
    details.
     
    1. Advertising

  3. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <502f3052$0$44374$c3e8da3$>
    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > John Young wrote:
    >> Every thing is running on ML using Back to My Mac. Two different WiFi
    >> connections. Home Computer is a Mac Pro. Travel computer is a Mac Book
    >> Pro. Router is a Airport Extreme with my iCloud ID entered in the
    >> appropriate place.



    > The "wake on lan" only work on hardwarired ethernet as I recall (noy
    > 100% sure).


    That used to be the case, but is not the case for quite a few years. The
    wireless variety is called WoWLAN instead of WoL.

    To activate it, you just have to send a valid "magic packet" to the
    device. It is possible to have an old router that will discard WoL
    packets, but it would have to be pretty old.

    --
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see
     
  4. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <502f3052$0$44374$c3e8da3$>
    > JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > > John Young wrote:
    > >> Every thing is running on ML using Back to My Mac. Two different WiFi
    > >> connections. Home Computer is a Mac Pro. Travel computer is a Mac Book
    > >> Pro. Router is a Airport Extreme with my iCloud ID entered in the
    > >> appropriate place.

    >
    >
    > > The "wake on lan" only work on hardwarired ethernet as I recall (noy
    > > 100% sure).

    >
    > That used to be the case, but is not the case for quite a few years. The
    > wireless variety is called WoWLAN instead of WoL.
    >
    > To activate it, you just have to send a valid "magic packet" to the
    > device. It is possible to have an old router that will discard WoL
    > packets, but it would have to be pretty old.


    The Router is a Airport Extreme with v7.6.1 which is the current
    firmware.I have tried it with ethernet,WiFi and both connected to my Mac
    Pro5,1. I really think its a setting in the Airport Extreme. Most of
    what I find while searching with Google is old material. Still I;
    Thank you Lewis and JF Mezei for your replies! I am still searching any
    more help would be great.
     
  5. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    John Young <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Lewis <> wrote:
    >
    > > In message <502f3052$0$44374$c3e8da3$>
    > > JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > > > John Young wrote:
    > > >> Every thing is running on ML using Back to My Mac. Two different WiFi
    > > >> connections. Home Computer is a Mac Pro. Travel computer is a Mac Book
    > > >> Pro. Router is a Airport Extreme with my iCloud ID entered in the
    > > >> appropriate place.

    > >
    > >
    > > > The "wake on lan" only work on hardwarired ethernet as I recall (noy
    > > > 100% sure).

    > >
    > > That used to be the case, but is not the case for quite a few years. The
    > > wireless variety is called WoWLAN instead of WoL.
    > >
    > > To activate it, you just have to send a valid "magic packet" to the
    > > device. It is possible to have an old router that will discard WoL
    > > packets, but it would have to be pretty old.

    >
    > The Router is a Airport Extreme with v7.6.1 which is the current
    > firmware.I have tried it with ethernet,WiFi and both connected to my Mac
    > Pro5,1. I really think its a setting in the Airport Extreme. Most of
    > what I find while searching with Google is old material. Still I;
    > Thank you Lewis and JF Mezei for your replies! I am still searching any
    > more help would be great.


    One more thought...I don't care how I wake the home computer as long as
    I can at any given time. Is there an iPhone app that might turn on a
    computer?
     
  6. John Young

    John Young Guest

    Re: Remote wake on Works Thanks!

    In article <-september.org>,
    John Young <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > John Young <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Lewis <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > In message <502f3052$0$44374$c3e8da3$>
    > > > JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > > > > John Young wrote:
    > > > >> Every thing is running on ML using Back to My Mac. Two different WiFi
    > > > >> connections. Home Computer is a Mac Pro. Travel computer is a Mac Book
    > > > >> Pro. Router is a Airport Extreme with my iCloud ID entered in the
    > > > >> appropriate place.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > > The "wake on lan" only work on hardwarired ethernet as I recall (noy
    > > > > 100% sure).
    > > >
    > > > That used to be the case, but is not the case for quite a few years. The
    > > > wireless variety is called WoWLAN instead of WoL.
    > > >
    > > > To activate it, you just have to send a valid "magic packet" to the
    > > > device. It is possible to have an old router that will discard WoL
    > > > packets, but it would have to be pretty old.

    > >
    > > The Router is a Airport Extreme with v7.6.1 which is the current
    > > firmware.I have tried it with ethernet,WiFi and both connected to my Mac
    > > Pro5,1. I really think its a setting in the Airport Extreme. Most of
    > > what I find while searching with Google is old material. Still I;
    > > Thank you Lewis and JF Mezei for your replies! I am still searching any
    > > more help would be great.


    Using Airport Utilities/Network/Enable Access Control.
    I checked "Enable Access Control" and set no times limits.
    Seems to work fine. The Mac Book Pro going through iCloud wakes the Mac
    Pro and gives me complete control of the Desktop with the Mac Pro
    connected to my home network and the Mac Book Pro connected to a Verizon
    4G lte Jetpack MiFi that I use for travel.
    Thanks again!
     
  7. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Lewis wrote:

    > To activate it, you just have to send a valid "magic packet" to the
    > device. It is possible to have an old router that will discard WoL
    > packets, but it would have to be pretty old.


    By definition, a router will discard the wake on lan packet because the
    later is a layer 2 ethernet packet, and routers are layer 3.

    Combinations of router/bridge (bridge=switch in modern terms) may or may
    not work depending on their config.

    Where the airport box different is that it has software to remember the
    ethernet address of a host (permanenly, not via arp), so you can send an
    IP packet to the Airport asking it to wake a machine by IP address. The
    Airport will then send the magic ethgernet packet on the LAN, addressed
    to that machine's ethernet address.
     
  8. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 08-18-2012 07:34, John Young wrote:
    > One more thought...I don't care how I wake the home computer as long as
    > I can at any given time. Is there an iPhone app that might turn on a
    > computer?


    I haven't bought it, but I heard a teacher raving about using
    "Splashtop" to control her computer from anywhere in the classroom.

    There are two apps whose names start with Splashtop. One of them
    includes a wake-on-LAN feature.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    ¡Qué quiero realmente hacer es comer un perrito caliente!
    ç§ãŒå®Ÿéš›ã«ã—ãŸã„ã¨æ€ã†ä½•ã‚’ホットドッグを食ã¹ã‚‹ã“ã¨ã§ã‚ã‚‹!
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=463
     
  9. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <502fcef6$0$1862$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:


    > Where the airport box different is that it has software to remember the
    > ethernet address of a host (permanenly, not via arp), so you can send an
    > IP packet to the Airport asking it to wake a machine by IP address. The
    > Airport will then send the magic ethgernet packet on the LAN, addressed
    > to that machine's ethernet address.


    Works every time for me as long as I'm logged into the same iCloud ACC.
    Does not matter what Wifi networks I am using on which computer.
    Special thanks to JF Mezei for taking the time to answer and always
    having the correct answers. I don't think I ever would have started
    looking at the AirPort Extremes setting if he had not pointed me in that
    direction.
     
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Frits van Leeuwen

    Checking NVRAM.. and turn off, turn on

    Frits van Leeuwen, Jul 28, 2004, in forum: Asus
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,586
  2. Stickems
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    328
    Stickems
    Jan 9, 2004
  3. Good Day

    remote wake up

    Good Day, Sep 3, 2003, in forum: IBM
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,311
    NuT CrAcKeR
    Sep 6, 2003
  4. eastcoastguyz
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    549
    Simon Slavin
    May 31, 2008
  5. SpreadTooThin
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    523
    Clark Martin
    Dec 27, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page