    Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this? I appreciate your time
    and input.

    Mike Irwin

    Mike Irwin, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Mike Irwin

    BD Guest

    "Mike Irwin" <> wrote in message
    news:uO90b.7377$2.webusenet.com...
    > I've just recently put about a 1" wide and 2" long scuff/scratch on my

    Dell
    > Inspiron 8500 LCD screen. I've tried removing it with a mixture of

    alcohol
    > and water, but to no avail.
    >

    > Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this? I appreciate your

    time
    > and input.
    >
    > Mike Irwin

    Hi Mike,
    I asked this same question last month and received the alcohol reco and a
    suggestion to try the product listed here http://www.klearscreen.com/
    As yet, I tried neither. Let us know if you do and if it works acceptably.
    BD

    BD, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Mike Irwin

    marlinspike Guest

    Plus, novus would require way more elbow grease than you would want to apply
    to an LCD screen. I use it to polish vintage fountain pens because it's so
    gentle, put you would need to press and rub hard.
    Richard
    "Ian Stirling" <> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.laptops Mike Irwin <> wrote:
    > > I've just recently put about a 1" wide and 2" long scuff/scratch on my

    Dell
    > > Inspiron 8500 LCD screen. I've tried removing it with a mixture of

    alcohol
    > > and water, but to no avail.
    > >
    > > I searched around on the Internet and found some information about

    possibly
    > > using Novus #2 plastic polish or some similar products, but I wanted to

    get
    > > some opinions before I attempt this myself. The thing I'm worried about

    is
    > > that there appears to be a thin film/cover over the LCD. I think this

    is
    > > what is actually scratched, so I'm not sure if some type of plastic

    polish
    > > might actually make it worse.

    > The front of the screen is glass, it's around half a millimeter think,
    > so it might seem to be a cover.
    > It's got an antireflection coating on the outside.
    > Any polishing you do will destroy this coating, and dramatically
    > increase the 'glare' in the polished area.
    >
    > Polishing it out is possible, but you'd need to do the whole screen,
    > risk breaking it, and it'll reflect far more ambient light than it
    > did.
    >
    > --
    > http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: | Ian

    Stirling.

    ------
    > "Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's

    warm
    > for the rest of his life" -- Terry

    Pratchett-Jingo

    marlinspike, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Mike Irwin

    Mike Irwin Guest

    "marlinspike" <> wrote in message
    > Plus, novus would require way more elbow grease than you would want to

    apply
    > to an LCD screen. I use it to polish vintage fountain pens because it's so
    > gentle, put you would need to press and rub hard.

    It appears by your suggestions that I should probably just deal with it.
    Anyway, thanks for the info.

    Mike Irwin, Aug 19, 2003