Repeated Installations of Flash Player on Win 7

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by CJB, Apr 29, 2010.

  1. CJB

    CJB Guest

    Sorry - I can't find any Win 7 newsgroups. Please can someone advise
    as to the best for the following. Thank you - CJB.

    I have Win 7 (Starter) on a new Acer Aspire One 532. My main (and
    only) login id is for me which also has admin. privileges.

    However I do have to repeatedly install Flash Player 10 in order to
    view clips on YouTube, BBC and my own web site.

    Once installed - via the Adobe Download Manager - all clips play OK.
    If I close the lid and the netbook hibernates, and then when I open it
    up again, all is well.

    However if there is a Windows update, or if I do a restart / reboot,
    Flash Player gets uninstalled, or maybe Win 7 just forgets that it has
    been installed. Then I have to go through the whole download process
    to re-reinstall it until the next time.

    This is the only application that exhibits this behaviour. But I do
    use it a lot. All other apps. once installed seem to remain available
    for use without fail.

    So why is Flash Player such a problem, and what can I do to 'fix' its
    installation once and for all?

    Thank you - Chris Brady.

    CJB, Apr 29, 2010

  2. CJB

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    CJB typed on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:52:12 -0700 (PDT):
    > Sorry - I can't find any Win 7 newsgroups. Please can someone advise
    > as to the best for the following. Thank you - CJB.
    >
    > I have Win 7 (Starter) on a new Acer Aspire One 532. My main (and
    > only) login id is for me which also has admin. privileges.
    >
    > However I do have to repeatedly install Flash Player 10 in order to
    > view clips on YouTube, BBC and my own web site.
    >
    > Once installed - via the Adobe Download Manager - all clips play OK.
    > If I close the lid and the netbook hibernates, and then when I open it
    > up again, all is well.
    >
    > However if there is a Windows update, or if I do a restart / reboot,
    > Flash Player gets uninstalled, or maybe Win 7 just forgets that it has
    > been installed. Then I have to go through the whole download process
    > to re-reinstall it until the next time.
    >
    > This is the only application that exhibits this behaviour. But I do
    > use it a lot. All other apps. once installed seem to remain available
    > for use without fail.
    >
    > So why is Flash Player such a problem, and what can I do to 'fix' its
    > installation once and for all?
    >
    > Thank you - Chris Brady.

    That is weird Chris. Does IE8 show it listed as an addon? Have you tried
    other browsers like Firefox? I don't know, IE8 might be protecting
    itself from allowing addons to stay installed? Another thing I would try
    is to install Flash v9 instead.

    http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player.php

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Apr 29, 2010

  3. CJB

    CJB Guest

    On Apr 29, 8:02 pm, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > CJB typed on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:52:12 -0700 (PDT):
    >

    > > Sorry - I can't find any Win 7 newsgroups. Please can someone advise
    > > as to the best for the following. Thank you - CJB.

    > > I have Win 7 (Starter) on a new Acer Aspire One 532. My main (and
    > > only) login id is for me which also has admin. privileges.

    > > However I do have to repeatedly install Flash Player 10 in order to
    > > view clips on YouTube, BBC and my own web site.

    > > Once installed - via the Adobe Download Manager - all clips play OK.
    > > If I close the lid and the netbook hibernates, and then when I open it
    > > up again, all is well.

    > > However if there is a Windows update, or if I do a restart / reboot,
    > > Flash Player gets uninstalled, or maybe Win 7 just forgets that it has
    > > been installed. Then I have to go through the whole download process
    > > to re-reinstall it until the next time.

    > > This is the only application that exhibits this behaviour. But I do
    > > use it a lot. All other apps. once installed seem to remain available
    > > for use without fail.

    > > So why is Flash Player such a problem, and what can I do to 'fix' its
    > > installation once and for all?

    > > Thank you - Chris Brady.

    > That is weird Chris. Does IE8 show it listed as an addon? Have you tried
    > other browsers like Firefox? I don't know, IE8 might be protecting
    > itself from allowing addons to stay installed? Another thing I would try
    > is to install Flash v9 instead.
    >
    > http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player.php
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you for the hints. I have tried Flash 9 - but YouTube and BBC
    all complain that its out-of-date. So Flash 10 it has to be. This
    doesn't happen with XP SP3 on my laptop. It seems to be a thing with
    Win 7. I will try to see if Foxfire etc. are also effected. Chris B.

    CJB, Apr 29, 2010
  4. CJB

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    CJB typed on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:41:47 -0700 (PDT):
    > Thank you for the hints. I have tried Flash 9 - but YouTube and BBC
    > all complain that its out-of-date. So Flash 10 it has to be.

    Hello Chris! Do they complain, but still work? A lot of websites
    complain about using older versions but you can still continue and it
    still works most of the time.

    > This doesn't happen with XP SP3 on my laptop. It seems to be a thing
    > with Win 7.

    That could be, IDK.

    > I will try to see if Foxfire etc. are also effected. Chris B.

    Firefox requires a different Flash install. The one for IE won't work
    with Firefox. So to have both working, you need two Flash players
    installs. Using Firefox on a website that needs Flash should tell you
    what you need to do. Just like websites when using IE.

    BillW50, Apr 30, 2010
  5. CJB

    CJB Guest

    On Apr 30, 12:06 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > CJB typed on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:41:47 -0700 (PDT):
    >
    > > Thank you for the hints. I have tried Flash 9 - but YouTube and BBC
    > > all complain that its out-of-date. So Flash 10 it has to be.

    > Hello Chris! Do they complain, but still work? A lot of websites
    > complain about using older versions but you can still continue and it
    > still works most of the time.
    >
    > > This doesn't happen with XP SP3 on my laptop. It seems to be a thing
    > > with Win 7.

    > That could be, IDK.
    >
    > > I will try to see if Foxfire etc. are also effected. Chris B.

    > Firefox requires a different Flash install. The one for IE won't work
    > with Firefox. So to have both working, you need two Flash players
    > installs. Using Firefox on a website that needs Flash should tell you
    > what you need to do. Just like websites when using IE.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

    Thanks again for your help and interest. I've tested all on my laptop
    with XP using Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and IE8. All works
    perfectly.

    Now I have to download the other browsers to my netbook. This requires
    a visit to Pret or McD to use their web connections for free.

    Chris B.

    CJB, Apr 30, 2010
  6. CJB

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    CJB typed on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:11:12 -0700 (PDT):
    > Thanks again for your help and interest. I've tested all on my laptop
    > with XP using Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and IE8. All works
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Now I have to download the other browsers to my netbook. This requires
    > a visit to Pret or McD to use their web connections for free.

    Hello Chris. Please keep us updated. And say, how do you like Win 7
    (Starter) anyway?

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    BillW50, Apr 30, 2010
  7. CJB

    ken10254 Guest

    On Apr 30, 3:11 am, CJB <> wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 12:06 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Innews:,
    > > CJB typed on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:41:47 -0700 (PDT):

    > > > Thank you for the hints. I have tried Flash 9 - but YouTube and BBC
    > > > all complain that its out-of-date. So Flash 10 it has to be.

    > > Hello Chris! Do they complain, but still work? A lot of websites
    > > complain about using older versions but you can still continue and it
    > > still works most of the time.

    > > > This doesn't happen with XP SP3 on my laptop. It seems to be a thing
    > > > with Win 7.

    > > That could be, IDK.

    > > > I will try to see if Foxfire etc. are also effected. Chris B.

    > > Firefox requires a different Flash install. The one for IE won't work
    > > with Firefox. So to have both working, you need two Flash players
    > > installs. Using Firefox on a website that needs Flash should tell you
    > > what you need to do. Just like websites when using IE.

    > > --
    > > Bill
    > > Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

    > Thanks again for your help and interest. I've tested all on my laptop
    > with XP using Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and IE8. All works
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Now I have to download the other browsers to my netbook. This requires
    > a visit to Pret or McD to use their web connections for free.
    >
    > Chris B.

    Have you tried installing flash by right clicking on the .exe and
    installing using administrator privileges? I think it is "run as
    administrator" in the right click content list. I have had to do this
    on some programs to get them to install correctly. Worth a try. Also,
    try the flash betas that are available. Maybe they will install better
    for you.
    Good luck.

    ken10254, May 1, 2010
  8. CJB

    CJB Guest

    On May 1, 3:44 am, ken10254 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 3:11 am, CJB <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 30, 12:06 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    > > > Innews:,
    > > > CJB typed on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:41:47 -0700 (PDT):

    > > > Hello Chris! Do they complain, but still work? A lot of websites
    > > > complain about using older versions but you can still continue and it
    > > > still works most of the time.

    > > > That could be, IDK.

    > > > Firefox requires a different Flash install. The one for IE won't work
    > > > with Firefox. So to have both working, you need two Flash players
    > > > installs. Using Firefox on a website that needs Flash should tell you
    > > > what you need to do. Just like websites when using IE.

    > > > --
    > > > Bill
    > > > Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

    > > Thanks again for your help and interest. I've tested all on my laptop
    > > with XP using Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and IE8. All works
    > > perfectly.

    > > Now I have to download the other browsers to my netbook. This requires
    > > a visit to Pret or McD to use their web connections for free.

    > > Chris B.

    > Have you tried installing flash by right clicking on the .exe and
    > installing using administrator privileges? I think it is "run as
    > administrator" in the right click content list. I have had to do this
    > on some programs to get them to install correctly. Worth a try. Also,
    > try the flash betas that are available. Maybe they will install better
    > for you.
    > Good luck.- Hide quoted text -

    OK I have tried everything advised and STILL I 'lose' the IE8 version
    of Flash Player 10 after a reboot.

    Firstly I removed entirely the pre-installed McAfee virus app.

    I've ensured that I am in Admin. mode, I do a right mouse click and
    install FP as Administrator.

    I have removed FP 10 with the special app., manually deleted the
    windows/system32/macromed folder - rebooted - and then re-installed FP
    10.

    I've checked the settings in IE8 Options and the FP add-on is enabled.

    I can't use an earlier version of FP 'cos both YouTube and BBC
    complain that it isn't the latest.

    The version of FP for Firefox, Chrime, Safari and Opera all remain
    installed - and working - all of the time.

    Chris B.

    P.S. Compared to XP I don't like Win 7. The latter is less intuitive
    to use.

    CJB, May 10, 2010
  9. CJB

    CJB Guest

    On May 10, 11:02 am, CJB <> wrote:
    > On May 1, 3:44 am, ken10254 <> wrote:

    > > > Thanks again for your help and interest. I've tested all on my laptop
    > > > with XP using Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, andIE8. All works
    > > > perfectly.

    > > > Now I have to download the other browsers to my netbook. This requires
    > > > a visit to Pret or McD to use their web connections for free.

    > > > Chris B.

    > > Have you tried installingflashby right clicking on the .exe and
    > > installing using administrator privileges? I think it is "run as
    > > administrator" in the right click content list. I have had to do this
    > > on some programs to get them to install correctly. Worth a try. Also,
    > > try theflashbetas that are available. Maybe they will install better
    > > for you.
    > > Good luck.- Hide quoted text -

    > OK  I have tried everything advised and STILL I 'lose' theIE8version
    > ofFlashPlayer10after a reboot.
    >
    > Firstly I removed entirely the pre-installed McAfee virus app.
    >
    > I've ensured that I am in Admin. mode,  I do a right mouse click and
    > install FP as Administrator.
    >
    > I have removed FP10with the special app., manually deleted the
    > windows/system32/macromed folder - rebooted - and then re-installed FP10.
    >
    > I've checked the settings inIE8Options and the FP add-on is enabled.
    >
    > I can't use an earlier version of FP 'cos both YouTube and BBC
    > complain that it isn't the latest.
    >
    > The version of FP for Firefox, Chrime, Safari and Opera all remain
    > installed - and working - all of the time.
    >
    > Chris B.
    >
    > P.S. Compared to XP I don't like Win 7. The latter is less intuitive
    > to use.- Hide quoted text -

    I think that I can now categorically state that the cause of the
    problem of repeated installs of FP 10 with IE8 running on Windows 7 is
    Microsoft's 'User Account Control.' It was pre-installed on my Acer
    netbook at one 'click' below the highest level.

    Even if FP 10 was downloaded and installed for IE8 as an Add-on
    rebooting or restarting Win 7 caused FP 10 to appear to get
    uninstalled, although it was actually just removed from IE8's Add-on
    list. Anything requiring FP 10 such as YouTube, BBC Live News or
    custom SWP files would not then play when browsed by IE8. However the
    FP 10 files were still extant and FP 10 was still installed - its just
    that it got removed as an Add-on from IE8 by the UAC. If IE8 was
    opened and FP 10 was left like this (installed on the PC but removed
    as an Add-on), maybe whilst another browser was being used, it appears
    that UAC would suddenly 'wake up' and ask if FP 10 should be
    installed. Responding with a 'yes' it would be quickly be 'installed'
    to IE8 but actually this only amounted to it being relinked as an Add-
    on once again.

    The 'solution' is to lower the UAC level to the lowest level - that is
    to turn it off - but with the attendant risks. Rebooting / restarting
    afterwards then has no effect on FP 10 and this remains a valid Add-on
    for IE8, i.e. it does not appear to get 'uninstalled.'

    The above solution also cures the need for repeated installations of
    mobile broadband dongle s/w. Another irritation.

    With regards to UAC on a one-user Acer netbook I think that it is
    relatively safe to lower the level or even to close it with the
    assumption that the sole user - presumably the owner - knows what he/
    she is doing with regards to downloading and installing apps.

    Chris J Brady

    P.S. This issue has also been posted onto the Social Answers Forums at
    Microsoft.com - however NO-ONE from MS or an MS MVP was knowledgeable
    enough or could be bothered to research out the cause and respond to
    concerns. Now Adobe and Microsoft need to get together and get a fix
    out for this issue.

    CJB, May 26, 2010