    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Andy

    Andy, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Andy

    Davy Guest

    Not too sure about Chaintech, had similar problem with the Northbridge
    fan on my Gigabyte mobo, kept stopping and ceasing up about four years
    down the road, luckily it did no damage.

    Not surprising they didn't last long with 2 small brass bearings at
    each end, mind you they carry no weight, but they wear and dust
    start's to build up.

    The only positive way is to replace it, it doesn't have to be the
    same physical size as long as you can mount it securely on the
    heatsink. Looking at my graphic card fan that's even flimsier and
    never given me any problems.

    Noisy fans usually an indication that either the fan blades are not
    balanced, they've been damaged or the bearings are 'goofed' and the
    spindle is wackering about as it spins, dust and fluff build's up
    and cause them to be noisy, could also be the blades are catching the
    heatsink.

    The blades are usually held on be a plastic retaining ring under the
    label on the back, if you try to remove it ensure you recover the
    bearing to stop dust.

    When I got on to Gigabyte, they sent me 3 free of charge and the mobo
    was out of warranty....! You could alway's see if they could send
    you a replacement, other than that it's a shop around job, how about
    Radio Shack, Tandy's etc .

    Davy

    Davy, Sep 2, 2006