    who has done this successfully?

    thanks,
    pete

    psirois, Nov 11, 2006

  2. psirois

    Ben Myers Guest

    Which operating system are you trying to install? If it's Windows 98 or ME,
    you need a boot floppy with the FDISK and FORMAT programs on it. You use FDISK
    to create partitions and FORMAT to format them. After that, you install the
    operating system,

    If you are trying to install Windows 2000 or XP, both installation CDs will set
    up partitions and format them prior to installing Windows... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 12, 2006

  3. "psirois" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to replace the HDD in a Presario 2715US notebook: with the
    > new drive installed, how the hell do you boot to BIOS and format the
    > drive? From factory Compaq put BIOS in the boot sector of the
    > factory HD, which of course if not present prevents you from booting
    > from floppy, CD, etc. I've tried the crappy startup floppy from
    > HP/Compaq, which says it can't find a partition. Anyone out there
    > who has done this successfully?
    >
    > thanks,
    > pete

    As a general rule, your boot order should be floppy drive, CDROM and then
    HDD. If a preceding device is not present, the boot will be attempted from
    the following device(s). If you put the hard drive first, you can never
    boot from an alternate device unless the hard drive fails or has no boot
    sector.

    The BIOS is not on the hard drive. It is still in ROM. The BIOS Setup
    Utility may be on a hidden partition. If you download the Setup Disk and
    the Diagnostic DISK from HP, you can recreate the hidden Diagnostic
    Partition before you add partitions to your hard drive.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    Earl F. Parrish, Nov 13, 2006