Replaced bad motherboard XP will not start

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by B, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. B

    B Guest

    You also try running a repair installation of XP to see if this can repair
    the problem. A future option to consider is backup software with an
    emergency boot CD capable of restoring your files in case of hardware
    failure. You can find such software on the internet and one which I
    recommend is located here:

    http://www.dantz.com/

    regards

    "Bill at A+" <> wrote in message
    > I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
    > different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
    > the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option

    > choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran the
    > repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk. Do I

    have

    B, Dec 17, 2003

  2. B

    Bill at A+ Guest

    I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
    different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
    the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option I

    Bill at A+, Dec 18, 2003

  3. B

    TMack Guest

    "Bill at A+" <> wrote in message
    > I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
    > different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
    > the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option

    > choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran the
    > repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk. Do I

    have
    > to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it now?

    If the previous motherboard had a different chipset to the new one XP will
    look for the old ide hard disk controller - when it doesn't find it it will
    halt or reboot. There is no solution to this other than to use the old
    motherboard (may not be possible in your case) or one with the same
    chipset - boot with this and change ide controller to microsoft standard
    dual ide controller. It will then boot with new motherboard.

    Tony
    TMack, Dec 18, 2003
  4. B

    Sick Willie Guest

    "Bill at A+" <> wrote in message
    > I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
    > different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
    > the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option

    > choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran the
    > repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk. Do I

    have
    > to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it now?

    Start the XP CD. Don't pick repair, pick install. XP should find the old
    installation and give you the choice of repair or install. Pick repair. Be
    sure to have your Product Key. Odds are excellent that you will have to
    re-activate.

    Sick Willie
    Sick Willie, Dec 18, 2003
  5. B

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:01:09 -0000
    "TMack" <> wrote:

    > "Bill at A+" <> wrote in message
    > > I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it
    > > with a different model because the other was no longer available.
    > > Now XP gets to the start choices screen but will not start. No
    > > matter which start option

    > > choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran
    > > the repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk.
    > > Do I

    > have
    > > to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it
    > > now?

    > If the previous motherboard had a different chipset to the new one XP
    > will look for the old ide hard disk controller - when it doesn't find
    > it it will halt or reboot. There is no solution to this other than to
    > use the old motherboard (may not be possible in your case) or one with
    > the same chipset - boot with this and change ide controller to
    > microsoft standard dual ide controller. It will then boot with new
    > motherboard.

    It should be possible to do a parallel install in a different directory,
    import the appropriate registry hive from the dead installation, patch
    it, and export it, but I've not tried that with XP.

    Not for the faint of heart though.

    > Tony

    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J.Clarke, Dec 18, 2003
  6. B

    TMack Guest

    "J.Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:01:09 -0000
    > "TMack" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "Bill at A+" <> wrote in message
    > > > I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it
    > > > with a different model because the other was no longer available.
    > > > Now XP gets to the start choices screen but will not start. No
    > > > matter which start option

    > > > choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran
    > > > the repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk.
    > > > Do I

    > > have
    > > > to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it
    > > > now?

    > > If the previous motherboard had a different chipset to the new one XP
    > > will look for the old ide hard disk controller - when it doesn't find
    > > it it will halt or reboot. There is no solution to this other than to
    > > use the old motherboard (may not be possible in your case) or one with
    > > the same chipset - boot with this and change ide controller to
    > > microsoft standard dual ide controller. It will then boot with new
    > > motherboard.

    > It should be possible to do a parallel install in a different directory,
    > import the appropriate registry hive from the dead installation, patch
    > it, and export it, but I've not tried that with XP.

    Interesting idea - I might try it if I ever find myself in that situation
    again and I can't use the old motherboard - last time it happened with win2k
    I was able to use the old motherboard so it wasn't a major problem.

    Tony
    TMack, Dec 19, 2003