    drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    --
    All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 11, 2013

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Salmon Egg Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    I have not checked lately, but if you find an internal drive you would
    like otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can get an enclosure that turns it
    into an external drive. The enclosure may even give you a choice of
    FireWire or USB.

    There also are docking device you can stick a bare drive into. You might
    have to be a bit more careful to prevent unwanted electrostatic
    discharge from killing the drive's electronics.

    --

    Sam

    Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

    Salmon Egg, Aug 11, 2013

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    >I'm going to replace it.
    >
    >Any suggestions for a reliable drive?

    The LaCie I got for my Power Mac G4 many years ago is still fine.
    When I bought this iMac a couple of years ago, I got an Iomega eGo
    Mac Edition, which has also been very reliable. (I partitioned it
    with one half being dedicated to Time Machine and the other half
    for my own files.) However, it appears that the latter are no longer
    available; Lenovo has bought Iomega and doesn't have a consumer
    storage products category on their website, and Iomega products
    have disappeared from the online Apple Store.

    The storage products section of the online store has ratings and
    reviews you can look at.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Aug 11, 2013
  4. In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    Go to http://newegg.com and build what you like. Pick a drive with a 5
    year warranty, and a compatible case with a look you like.

    Howard S Shubs, Aug 11, 2013
  5. Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    The longest lived external HD I've had in recent times was my LaCie
    Quadra - it lasted five years. I've always liked LaCie's less artistic
    desktop HD designs.

    The shortest were a succession of replacements for a Seagate OneTouch IV
    drive - finally replaced by a completely different model that hasn't
    died in only a few months.

    If I had the money I'd buy a Drobo and use any old cheap HDs with three
    year plus warranties to fill it. It's not a pain if the drive dies under
    warranty and you lose nothing, even time to restore data.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 11, 2013
  6. Salmon Egg <> wrote:

    > I have not checked lately, but if you find an internal drive you would
    > like otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can get an enclosure that turns it
    > into an external drive. The enclosure may even give you a choice of
    > FireWire or USB.

    If you're going to do that, I like the faster more reliable, better
    warrentied internal WD VelociRaptor drives (I use one inside this iMac -
    it's much better than the Apple supplied original). Obviously wasted in
    anything less than a FW 800 enclosure.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 11, 2013
  7. In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    Well, I'd stay away from LaCie. I have had four of their drives, and
    three of them quit in a year. And as for their power supplies!

    William Clark, Aug 12, 2013
  8. Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    What are your preferences in regard to speed, interface, and noise?

    Neill Massello, Aug 12, 2013
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.

    Yep, as much as I like Seagate drives, that is exactly how much I hate
    their fucking piece of shit external drives.

    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile.

    I haven't found a reliable external. I buy bare drives and stick them
    into MediaSonic ProRaid boxes. Ever single drive external I have is
    either as crappy as the Seagates or only marginally better.

    --
    "Oh damn", said Maladict.

    Lewis, Aug 12, 2013
  10. In article <>,
    William Clark <-state.edu> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >
    > > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > > I'm going to replace it.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    > Well, I'd stay away from LaCie. I have had four of their drives, and
    > three of them quit in a year. And as for their power supplies!

    Must be you then, because I got my LaCie on the recommendation of
    SuperDuper!. I had two disks go bad, one from Western Digital and the
    other from Seagate/Maxtor. The Seagate came back from the manufacturer
    after 6 weeks and I haven't trusted it to do much since, expect do a
    back up in a pinch.

    I got a bare SATA drive from Amazon and just plugged them into my MacPro
    (Hitachi 2TB). You may want to go the "buy an enclosure and your own
    drive", but that's up to you. Instead, I'd rather get something from a
    known reliable Mac vendor, like OtherWorld Computing.

    My LaCie has been going strong for over 3 years. Obviously, YMMV.

    Michael Vilain, Aug 12, 2013
  11. On 8/12/13 1:45 AM, Lewis wrote:
    > In message <-september.org>
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    >> I'm going to replace it.

    > Yep, as much as I like Seagate drives, that is exactly how much I hate
    > their fucking piece of shit external drives.
    >
    >> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    >> to be mobile.

    > I haven't found a reliable external. I buy bare drives and stick them
    > into MediaSonic ProRaid boxes. Ever single drive external I have is
    > either as crappy as the Seagates or only marginally better.

    I don't know-- maybe it's been an abundance of clean-living and
    right-thinking...but I've owned and regularly used dozens of desktop and
    portable external drives over the years and have never had a bit of
    trouble with any of them. They're all still going strong. Most are the
    big name brands-- but I've also have a number of second and third tier ones.

    I seems to recall some published info in the last year or so about big
    changes in the HD business-- consolidation/acquisitions; reductions in
    warranty length, extensive factory damage in the manufacturer's home
    country, etc.

    I'm just wondering though if all this flap is that it's become
    fashionable to bitch about an incredibly reliable product-- kinda' like
    Mac-bashing;-)

    --
    On the internet you can be anything you want. It’s strange that so many
    people chose to be stupid.

    William Munny, Aug 12, 2013
  12. William Munny <> wrote:

    > On 8/12/13 1:45 AM, Lewis wrote:
    > > In message <-september.org>
    > > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > >> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > >> I'm going to replace it.

    > > Yep, as much as I like Seagate drives, that is exactly how much I hate
    > > their fucking piece of shit external drives.
    > >
    > >> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > >> to be mobile.

    > > I haven't found a reliable external. I buy bare drives and stick them
    > > into MediaSonic ProRaid boxes. Ever single drive external I have is
    > > either as crappy as the Seagates or only marginally better.
    > >

    > I don't know-- maybe it's been an abundance of clean-living and
    > right-thinking...but I've owned and regularly used dozens of desktop and
    > portable external drives over the years and have never had a bit of
    > trouble with any of them. They're all still going strong. Most are the
    > big name brands-- but I've also have a number of second and third tier ones.
    >
    > I seems to recall some published info in the last year or so about big
    > changes in the HD business-- consolidation/acquisitions; reductions in
    > warranty length, extensive factory damage in the manufacturer's home
    > country, etc.
    >
    > I'm just wondering though if all this flap is that it's become
    > fashionable to bitch about an incredibly reliable product-- kinda' like
    > Mac-bashing;-)

    So what you're telling me is, because you've had statistically unlikely,
    yet entirely possible good luck with your HDs, you now believe that
    everyone else must be lying? Including companies like Google
    <http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/res
    earch.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf> (classic study, there)
    that use a great many HDs, all of which eventually fail (as any
    mechanical device eventually will)?

    Because you've experienced an unlikely, yet entirely possible deviation
    from the norm, you're now convinced you are the norm. Ok...

    FYI: another smaller study on failure rates by manufacturer and their
    market share:
    <http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hdd-reliability-storelab,2681-2.htm
    l> No surprise to see Seagate has twice the failure rate one would
    expect from it's market share alone. Though unscientific experience as a
    tech guy suggests Seagate have improved a wee bit since 2010. Previously
    a while I saw large numbers of their cheaper HDs dying over and over,
    one of which, as I mentioned earlier, I owned and had replaced three
    times before that shitty model was phased out and I was given one that
    is lasting.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 12, 2013
  13. Michelle Steiner

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2013-08-12 08:41:57 +0000, Michael Vilain said:

    >> Well, I'd stay away from LaCie. I have had four of their drives, and
    >> three of them quit in a year. And as for their power supplies!

    > Must be you then, because I got my LaCie on the recommendation of
    > SuperDuper!. I had two disks go bad, one from Western Digital and the
    > other from Seagate/Maxtor. The Seagate came back from the manufacturer
    > after 6 weeks and I haven't trusted it to do much since, expect do a
    > back up in a pinch.

    I too am using LaCie drives on the recommendation of Dave Nanian of
    SuperDuper!. My three LaCie drives are the "Porsche Design" ones that
    are encased in heavy aluminum enclosures which are stated to be helpful
    in keeping the heat down.

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 12, 2013
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    The most reliable enclosures I have found are from Wiebetech, now owned
    by CRU.

    <http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ToughTech-Q.php> and there are many
    other options on their site.

    I buy an empty case ($99) and install my own server-grade Hitachi. Very
    easy to do. Last time I checked Wiebetech installed Seagate drives. Not
    bad. You can call them to check if you're concerned. Now that Hitachi's
    been bought by WD (IIRC) who knows if their reliability will continue.

    Anyway, reliability and flexibility are my two most important criteria
    in an external drive. Wiebetech gets a solid A rating for both.

    Fred Moore, Aug 12, 2013
  15. In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    <http://www.macsales.com> works for me.

    leo

    Leonard Blaisdell, Aug 12, 2013
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2013.08.12 10:02 , William Munny wrote:

    > I'm just wondering though if all this flap is that it's become
    > fashionable to bitch about an incredibly reliable product-- kinda' like
    > Mac-bashing;-)

    I've had 3 Seagate 1TB drives go Tango-Uniform in the last 4 months
    (Last one was last weekend and prior one a month before.

    All 3 inhabited my Drobo - and there is one more 1 TB drive in there
    from that batch - I don't have great hope for it now...).

    I've replaced them with a 2 TB and two 3 TB drives. (Seagate).

    So my Drobo has gone from 4 x 1TB to 1 + 2 + 3 + 3 TB of physical
    storage over the past few months.

    Prior to that HD failures were very rare. A PC I used to have barfed a
    drive after about 5 years but the system drive never had a hiccough.

    --
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,

    Alan Browne, Aug 12, 2013
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
    > I'm going to replace it.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
    > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

    I've had good luck with enclosures from Other World Computing:

    <http://eshop.macsales.com/search/OWCME3QHKIT>

    You can put a bare SATA drive into one of these enclosures. I haven't
    had good luck with any particular drive, so won't recommend one. I have
    been buying Seagate lately, but have had several go bad. :(

    --
    Jim Gibson

    Jim Gibson, Aug 13, 2013
  18. Michelle Steiner

    super70s Guest

    In article <120820131659250528%>,
    Jim Gibson <> wrote:

    > I have been buying Seagate lately, but have had several go bad. :(

    The webmaster of their site really pissed me off a few months ago, he
    killed the thread because I listed the serial no. of one of their
    screwed up drives. Like it's top secret information or something.

    super70s, Aug 13, 2013
  19. Michelle Steiner

    John Albert Guest

    On 8/11/13 11:55 AM, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
    > to be mobile.

    Don't get a "pre-assembled" drive at all.

    Either buy a "bare" drive, and an external enclosure and put
    it together, or...

    Buy a USB3/SATA "docking station" and put the drive into it.

    You can get a dock for $25 or so. I've had good results with
    products from plugable.com (no financial interest).

    John Albert, Aug 13, 2013
  20. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > On 2013.08.12 10:02 , William Munny wrote:

    >> I'm just wondering though if all this flap is that it's become
    >> fashionable to bitch about an incredibly reliable product-- kinda' like
    >> Mac-bashing;-)

    > I've had 3 Seagate 1TB drives go Tango-Uniform in the last 4 months
    > (Last one was last weekend and prior one a month before.

    The external Seagates are *so* bad I don't even want to send them in for
    warranty replacement.

    > All 3 inhabited my Drobo - and there is one more 1 TB drive in there
    > from that batch - I don't have great hope for it now...).

    I have, not counting internals, 22 drives. 3 are bad and are 500GB so I
    don't care (they are too small to devote a slot too even if I replaced
    them), two are Seagate USB3 drives that are so annoying they are not
    hooked up except manually, on occasions. One is a Seagate USB3 that is
    hooked up to a USB2 port, where it works just fine.

    > So my Drobo has gone from 4 x 1TB to 1 + 2 + 3 + 3 TB of physical
    > storage over the past few months.

    I am thinking about getting a BAT<1> and putting a STOD<2> in it in a
    ZFS pool and running OpenNAS/FreeNAS or something.

    <1> Big Assed Tower
    <2> Shit ton of drives

    --
    Space Directive 723: Terraformers are expressly forbidden from
    recreating Swindon.

    Lewis, Aug 13, 2013