Replacement for 8800GT

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Terry Pinnell, Nov 26, 2010.

  1. After much research and discussion in various forums I've come to the
    (sad) conclusion that the frequent crashes I'm getting are almost
    certainly signs of a failing or buggy graphics card. Anyway, I'm going to
    shell out and buy a replacement for my 8800GT.

    Wimp that I am, my initial preference is an exact copy!

    I thought that would be a relatively simple task of entering 'nVidia 8800
    GT' into Google search box and choosing a from a company that looked OK.
    But I'm bewildered by the apparent variations and descriptions. A
    non-techie, I'd appreciate some help please, as I'd hate to end up with a
    card that was incompatible.

    And now I'm thinking maybe I should go for a newer product with at least
    equal performance if not better. But it must be a direct fit and easy to
    install, as I'm no techie! Note that I'm not into gaming. Main app is
    video editing. I'm fussy about quietness too.

    The March 2008 spec for my PC order from MESH says "512 MB nVIDIA GeoForce
    8800GT - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV Out".

    The PC is MESH GTS Xtreme, Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 667 MHz.

    The motherboard is described by MESH as "PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI
    nForce 650i SLI(C55) - Intel Core 2".

    Sisoft Sandra reports the motherboard differently, as "Manufacturer :
    ASUSTeK Computer INC, MPS Version : 1.40, Model : P5N-D, Version : 1.XX,
    Serial Number : 123456789000, System BIOS : 03/05/2008-C55-MCP51-P5N-D-00"

    I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could advise me please. Ideally a few
    links to suitable products!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 26, 2010

  2. Terry Pinnell

    rms Guest

    ?After much research and discussion in various forums I've come to the
    (sad) conclusion that the frequent crashes I'm getting are almost
    certainly signs of a failing or buggy graphics card.

    Disassemble and clean the fan and heatsink, and put on new thermal
    compound.

    rms

    rms, Nov 26, 2010

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Gilles Guest

    Ref: <> de Terry Pinnell

    >And now I'm thinking maybe I should go for a newer product with at least
    >equal performance if not better. But it must be a direct fit and easy to
    >install, as I'm no techie! Note that I'm not into gaming. Main app is
    >video editing. I'm fussy about quietness too.

    If you don't mind leaving Nvidia and succumb to the Dark Side (ATI) you can
    investigate this model:
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=305

    I have replaced my 8800gt with it.

    Practically identical power consumption than the 8800gt so you don't need to
    check your power supply compatibility.

    Much lower noise level and temperature

    Working like a charm.
    --
    Gilles

    Gilles, Nov 26, 2010
  4. "rms" <> wrote:

    >?After much research and discussion in various forums I've come to the
    >(sad) conclusion that the frequent crashes I'm getting are almost
    >certainly signs of a failing or buggy graphics card.
    >
    > Disassemble and clean the fan and heatsink, and put on new thermal
    >compound.
    >
    >rms

    Thanks rms. I'm a tad nervous about attempting as much as that. I have air
    dusted it. I will next remove it from its slot and dust it again and
    replace it, as that alone might help. And anyway I need to know how to do
    that ready for the replacement if necessary.

    It's interesting that you mention the fan, because several times in the
    last 6 months or so it's become noisy. A high pitched, almost 'whistling'
    sound. Plainly sounded like it needed lubrication. But after removing the
    label I could find no way to access the spindle or bearing.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Fan-Noise-1.jpg
    Eventually, after a bit of poking and prodding, it quitened down again.
    That's happened another couple of times since. I assume unrelated to my
    crashes.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 27, 2010
  5. Gilles <> wrote:

    >Ref: <> de Terry Pinnell
    >>
    >>And now I'm thinking maybe I should go for a newer product with at least
    >>equal performance if not better. But it must be a direct fit and easy to
    >>install, as I'm no techie! Note that I'm not into gaming. Main app is
    >>video editing. I'm fussy about quietness too.

    >If you don't mind leaving Nvidia and succumb to the Dark Side (ATI) you can
    >investigate this model:
    >http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=305
    >
    >I have replaced my 8800gt with it.
    >
    >Practically identical power consumption than the 8800gt so you don't need to
    >check your power supply compatibility.
    >
    >Much lower noise level and temperature
    >
    >Working like a charm.

    Thanks Giles. Looks good. So far can't find its price or a Buy link!

    Also just had email from my son recommending these two possibilities:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-216-SP
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-142-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1854

    Just wish I didn't have to replace it at all ;-(

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 27, 2010
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Gilles Guest

    Ref: <> de Terry Pinnell
    >"rms" <> wrote:
    >> Disassemble and clean the fan and heatsink, and put on new thermal
    >>compound.
    >>
    >>rms

    >Thanks rms. I'm a tad nervous about attempting as much as that. I have air
    >dusted it.

    You may simply start with a vacuum cleaner combined with compressed air cleaner:
    http://www.freecomputerguides.com/componentcleaning.html
    --
    Gilles

    Gilles, Nov 27, 2010
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Foke Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:11:55 +0100, Gilles <>
    wrote:

    >Ref: <> de Terry Pinnell
    >>
    >>And now I'm thinking maybe I should go for a newer product with at least
    >>equal performance if not better. But it must be a direct fit and easy to
    >>install, as I'm no techie! Note that I'm not into gaming. Main app is
    >>video editing. I'm fussy about quietness too.

    >If you don't mind leaving Nvidia and succumb to the Dark Side (ATI) you can
    >investigate this model:
    >http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000101&pid=305
    >
    >I have replaced my 8800gt with it.
    >
    >Practically identical power consumption than the 8800gt so you don't need to
    >check your power supply compatibility.
    >
    >Much lower noise level and temperature
    >
    >Working like a charm.

    Bad choice. It would have been a good choice a few months ago, but now
    Nvidia has released the GTX 460 SE.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

    Faster, quieter and lower power draw then the 5770, plus superior Nvidia
    drivers. And both cards compete in the same market so they are virtually
    the same price.

    Foke, Nov 27, 2010
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Gilles Guest

    Ref: <> de Foke

    >Bad choice. It would have been a good choice a few months ago, but now
    >Nvidia has released the GTX 460 SE.

    I bought it few month ago (nearly one year) :)
    --
    Gilles

    Gilles, Nov 27, 2010
  9. Terry Pinnell

    rms Guest

    ?It's interesting that you mention the fan, because several times in the
    last 6 months or so it's become noisy. A high pitched, almost 'whistling'
    sound. Plainly sounded like it needed lubrication.

    This can be from builtup dust unbalancing the fan, but in the past I
    have carefully sprayed lubricant inside an early fan (I think on a voodoo3
    or something). The spraylube to look for is called Inox; it's
    non-conductive, safe for plastics, etc etc.

    You're probably beyond this now, but if it was clear the problem was
    overheating, aftermarket videocard coolers are quite cheap.

    rms

    rms, Nov 29, 2010
  10. Terry Pinnell

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > "rms" <> wrote:
    >
    >> ?After much research and discussion in various forums I've come to
    >> the (sad) conclusion that the frequent crashes I'm getting are almost
    >> certainly signs of a failing or buggy graphics card.
    >>
    >> Disassemble and clean the fan and heatsink, and put on new thermal
    >> compound.
    >>
    >> rms

    > Thanks rms. I'm a tad nervous about attempting as much as that. I
    > have air dusted it. I will next remove it from its slot and dust it
    > again and replace it, as that alone might help. And anyway I need to
    > know how to do that ready for the replacement if necessary.
    >
    > It's interesting that you mention the fan, because several times in
    > the last 6 months or so it's become noisy. A high pitched, almost
    > 'whistling' sound. Plainly sounded like it needed lubrication. But
    > after removing the label I could find no way to access the spindle or
    > bearing. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Fan-Noise-1.jpg

    Huh? So, you've got a fan on your northbridge. WTF has that got to do with
    the graphics card?

    > Eventually, after a bit of poking and prodding, it quitened down
    > again. That's happened another couple of times since. I assume
    > unrelated to my crashes.

    Hit it with a hammer.
    --
    Shaun.