Replacement for Dim 8300 Desktop

Discussion in 'Dell' started by charliec@email.com, Mar 18, 2012.

  1. Guest

    I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    in Jan 2004. It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    problems with it now. I updated to Vista when it came out, but had to back
    off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    on it. So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    8300 with the same or better speed? I do a lot of Internet, some games and a lot of
    regular processing -

    Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.

    Below are the specs of my 8300
    (sorry for the loooong note!):

    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    System Model Dimension 8300
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 7.09 GB
    Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)

    If you need additional information, please let me know.
    charliec

    , Mar 18, 2012

  2. Ben Myers Guest

    On Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:53:41 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
    > I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    > in Jan 2004. It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    > problems with it now. I updated to Vista when it came out, but had to back
    > off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    > on it. So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    > 8300 with the same or better speed? I do a lot of Internet, some games and a lot of
    > regular processing -
    >
    > Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.
    >
    > Below are the specs of my 8300
    > (sorry for the loooong note!):

    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    > System Model Dimension 8300
    > Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    > Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    > SMBIOS Version 2.3
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    > (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    > Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    > Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    > Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    > Page File Space 7.09 GB
    > Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    > Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    > Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    > Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    > Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    >
    > If you need additional information, please let me know.
    > charliec

    Charlie,

    Really, just about any new desktop or tower computer sold today will perform as good as or better than a Dimension 8300, even with a bigger and more bloated Windows 7. (BTW, Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, and it is way less bloated than Vista. Microsoft should have given away Windows 7 as a free Vista service pack.) The real question has to do with quality ofworkmanship and physical sturdiness of any new computer. I have not had hands-on with enough new Dell or other name brands to give you a specific opinion. But the 2-to-3 year old towers I have serviced do not have the rock-solid built-like-a-brick-outhouse construction of a black clamshell Dell.

    The best thing to do is to look at systems available in your nearby mass market big box stores like Best Buy, Staples, Frys etc. to judge for yourself.... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 18, 2012

  3. BillW50 Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > On Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:53:41 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
    >> I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    >> in Jan 2004. It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    >> problems with it now. I updated to Vista when it came out, but had
    >> to back
    >> off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    >> on it. So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    >> 8300 with the same or better speed? I do a lot of Internet, some
    >> games and a lot of regular processing -
    >>
    >> Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.
    >>
    >> Below are the specs of my 8300
    >> (sorry for the loooong note!):

    >> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    >> System Model Dimension 8300
    >> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    >> Mhz
    >> BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    >> SMBIOS Version 2.3
    >> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    >> (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    >> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    >> Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    >> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    >> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    >> Page File Space 7.09 GB
    >> Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    >> Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    >> Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    >> Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    >> Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    >>
    >> If you need additional information, please let me know.
    >> charliec

    > Charlie,
    >
    > Really, just about any new desktop or tower computer sold today will
    > perform as good as or better than a Dimension 8300, even with a
    > bigger and more bloated Windows 7. (BTW, Windows 7 is what Vista
    > should have been, and it is way less bloated than Vista. Microsoft
    > should have given away Windows 7 as a free Vista service pack.) The
    > real question has to do with quality of workmanship and physical
    > sturdiness of any new computer. I have not had hands-on with enough
    > new Dell or other name brands to give you a specific opinion. But
    > the 2-to-3 year old towers I have serviced do not have the rock-solid
    > built-like-a-brick-outhouse construction of a black clamshell Dell.
    >
    > The best thing to do is to look at systems available in your nearby
    > mass market big box stores like Best Buy, Staples, Frys etc. to judge
    > for yourself... Ben Myers

    Hi Charlie! You have 4GB of memory already. And you have 2.62GB free.
    More memory (if it can handle more than 4GB) isn't really going to help.
    That machine should be flying for "Internet, some games and a lot of
    regular processing - Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to
    complicated." Well not *all* games, but everything else at least. Skip
    the games part for now, that machine should be doing just fine. Now some
    3D games (what kind of games are we talking about anyway?), might be a
    problem.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Mar 18, 2012
  4. Larry Guest

    On Mar 18, 4:53 pm, wrote:
    > I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    > in Jan 2004.  It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    > problems with it now.  I updated to Vista when it came out, but had to back
    > off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    > on it.  So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    > 8300 with the same or better speed?  I do a lot of Internet, some gamesand a lot of
    > regular processing -
    >
    > Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.
    >
    > Below are the specs of my 8300
    > (sorry for the loooong note!):

    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    > System Model Dimension 8300
    > Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    > Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    > SMBIOS Version 2.3
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    > (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    > Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    > Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    > Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    > Page File Space 7.09 GB
    > Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    > Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    > Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    > Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    > Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    >
    > If you need additional information, please let me know.
    > charliec

    I have been a dell user for over a decade; however, if I were in the
    market for a desktop right now I would be checking out maingear.com.
    I came across the company from a pcmagazine review of desktops. What
    I am really impressed with is their tech support and build quality.
    Last time I checked tech support is all in house and they give free
    support over the phone for the life of the system. They list the
    services they provide with the purchase at:

    http://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/vybe/services.php

    Larry

    Larry, Mar 18, 2012
  5. Guest

    >On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 16:31:58 -0700 (PDT), Larry <> wrote:

    >On Mar 18, 4:53 pm, wrote:
    >> I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    >> in Jan 2004.  It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    >> problems with it now.  I updated to Vista when it came out, but had to back
    >> off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    >> on it.  So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    >> 8300 with the same or better speed?  I do a lot of Internet, some games and a lot of
    >> regular processing -
    >>
    >> Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.
    >>
    >> Below are the specs of my 8300
    >> (sorry for the loooong note!):

    >> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    >> System Model Dimension 8300
    >> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    >> Mhz
    >> BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    >> SMBIOS Version 2.3
    >> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    >> (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    >> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    >> Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    >> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    >> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    >> Page File Space 7.09 GB
    >> Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    >> Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    >> Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    >> Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    >> Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    >>
    >> If you need additional information, please let me know.
    >> charliec

    >I have been a dell user for over a decade; however, if I were in the
    >market for a desktop right now I would be checking out maingear.com.
    >I came across the company from a pcmagazine review of desktops. What
    >I am really impressed with is their tech support and build quality.
    >Last time I checked tech support is all in house and they give free
    >support over the phone for the life of the system. They list the
    >services they provide with the purchase at:
    >
    >http://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/vybe/services.php
    >
    >Larry

    Thanks, Larry - I will look into it.
    charliec

    , Mar 19, 2012
  6. KJHarris Guest

    On 3/18/2012 6:53 PM, wrote:
    > I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    > in Jan 2004. It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    > problems with it now. I updated to Vista when it came out, but had to back
    > off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    > on it. So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    > 8300 with the same or better speed? I do a lot of Internet, some games and a lot of
    > regular processing -
    >
    > Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.
    >
    > Below are the specs of my 8300
    > (sorry for the loooong note!):

    > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    > System Model Dimension 8300
    > Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    > Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    > SMBIOS Version 2.3
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    > (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    > Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    > Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    > Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    > Page File Space 7.09 GB
    > Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    > Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    > Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    > Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    > Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    >
    > If you need additional information, please let me know.
    > charliec

    I also had an original Dell 8300 and a few months ago I decided it was
    time for a new one. After looking around on line and in stores, I
    bought a new Dell XPS8300. It's like my old one, but faster, and I had
    no trouble adjusting to Windows 7, which I like better than XP. I
    bought it from Dell online because their price was better(equipped the
    way I wanted) than any other sites or the stores I visited.

    KJHarris, Mar 19, 2012
  7. Guest

    >On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:22:26 -0400, KJHarris <> wrote:

    >On 3/18/2012 6:53 PM, wrote:
    >> I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    >> in Jan 2004. It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    >> problems with it now. I updated to Vista when it came out, but had to back
    >> off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    >> on it. So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    >> 8300 with the same or better speed? I do a lot of Internet, some games and a lot of
    >> regular processing -
    >>
    >> Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.
    >>
    >> Below are the specs of my 8300
    >> (sorry for the loooong note!):

    >> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    >> System Model Dimension 8300
    >> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    >> Mhz
    >> BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    >> SMBIOS Version 2.3
    >> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    >> (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    >> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    >> Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    >> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    >> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    >> Page File Space 7.09 GB
    >> Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    >> Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    >> Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    >> Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    >> Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    >>
    >> If you need additional information, please let me know.
    >> charliec

    >I also had an original Dell 8300 and a few months ago I decided it was
    >time for a new one. After looking around on line and in stores, I
    >bought a new Dell XPS8300. It's like my old one, but faster, and I had
    >no trouble adjusting to Windows 7, which I like better than XP. I
    >bought it from Dell online because their price was better(equipped the
    >way I wanted) than any other sites or the stores I visited.

    Thanks, KJ

    , Mar 20, 2012
  8. mc Guest

    On Mar 20, 2:31 pm, wrote:
    > >On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:22:26 -0400, KJHarris <> wrote:
    > >On 3/18/2012 6:53 PM, wrote:
    > >> I'm beginning to look into replacing my Dell Dim 8300 which I brought
    > >> in Jan 2004.  It's been a great performer, but am experiencing a few
    > >> problems with it now.  I updated to Vista when it came out, but had to back
    > >> off and do a clean reinstall of XP as Vista would not work very well
    > >> on it.  So, my inquiry is - what would be a good replacement for my
    > >> 8300 with the same or better speed?  I do a lot of Internet, some games and a lot of
    > >> regular processing -

    > >> Microsoft Office work, emails, etc - nothing to complicated.

    > >> Below are the specs of my 8300
    > >> (sorry for the loooong note!):

    > >> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > >> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    > >> System Model Dimension 8300
    > >> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992
    > >> Mhz
    > >> BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 5/17/2004
    > >> SMBIOS Version 2.3
    > >> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
    > >> (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    > >> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    > >> Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    > >> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > >> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    > >> Page File Space 7.09 GB
    > >> Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    > >> Name VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series
    > >> Name COMBO COB-6V5216
    > >> Name _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD
    > >> Name Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
    > >> -----------------------------------------------------

    > >> If you need additional information, please let me know.
    > >> charliec

    > >I also had an original Dell 8300 and a few months ago I decided it was
    > >time for a new one.  After looking around on line and in stores, I
    > >bought a new Dell XPS8300.  It's like my old one, but faster, and I had
    > >no trouble adjusting to Windows 7, which I like better than XP.  I
    > >bought it from Dell online because their price was better(equipped the
    > >way I wanted) than any other sites or the stores I visited.

    > Thanks, KJ

    My dim 8300 works great with win 7 over a year now, with a ATI HD 3450
    card, 3.2 cpu and an LG Blu-ray burner and 2 gigs ram. It works great
    and plays blu ray movies with no problems. If your having cap problems
    on the board perhaps it could be fixed.These are tough machines. My
    board doesn't like ram in the fourth slot for some reason. Maybe its a
    voltage issue for the cpu, just speculating.

    mc

    mc, Mar 20, 2012