Replacement hard drive for Pavilion n5425

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by bruce6230@gmail.com, Jun 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I would like to replace the hard drive on this laptop. What
    considerations do I need to take into account when selecting a
    replacement? I know there is a 20 gig hard drive inside now. I can't
    tell what brand. Are there standards for laptop hard drives. In other
    words, can I put a Seagate brand in there if I pull out an HP brand?
    What range of sizes are available to install?

    1. Advertising

  2. You can use almost any drive that will physically fit. It's remotely
    possible that the BIOS has a capacity limitiation, but in fact if you
    have a 20 gig drive, it's unlikely to have any limitation of less than
    100 gigs. Drive thickness is a potential physical concern. Most
    laptops will take any drive up to 12.5mm thick, but a few allow only
    9.5mm. Most drives these days are 9.5mm but a few are 12.5mm (and there
    are some much older drives that are 18mm, but they will be smaller than
    20 gigs). Other than that, you can use pretty much any 2.5-inch IDE
    drive, everything else is standardized (note that some newer drives are
    SATA and not IDE, and that in this laptop, you need IDE).

    [Drives come in 4200, 5400 and 7200 rpm. The faster drives are, well,
    faster, and cost more and often (but not always) use a bit more power
    and run a bit hotter, but the power and heat differences are unlikely to
    be enough different to be an issue. Any speed drive will work.]