Replacing chipset fan on AK77-333 Motherboard

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Michael Mason, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I have searched through the AOpen website and haven't found anything of
    great detail. I have an AK77-333 motherboard with a dead chipset fan.
    I'd like to replace it, but like the person in another thread, I seem to
    be unable to remove the heatsink (nevermind trying to get the fan off,
    though I suspect that a mini screwdriver set would help with that.)

    1) Do I need to replace the fan? I noted on one of the postings on the
    AOpen website that future versions of the same motherboard would have a
    heatsink but no fan in the same location.

    2) If I should replace the fan, are there any ways to remove the fan and
    heatsink without damaging the chip beneath or the motherboard itself?

    Any tips would be appreciated.

    Michael

    1. Advertising

  2. Guy

    Guy Guest

    Yes, the fan comes right off (same fan, both systems). Those four
    tiny screws are all that hold it on.

    I have not yet removed the heatsink, but I was advised to place the
    motherboard in a freezer to make the adhesive brittle. The amount of
    precaution required to prevent condensation damage means I will try
    another method. I am slowly twisting the heatsink from side to side,
    careful to avoid the resistors that surround the north bridge.

    Good luck!

    1. Advertising

  3. K Olley

    K Olley Guest

    On 9 Feb 2005 20:17:23 -0500, -spam.invalid (Guy)
    wrote:

    >Yes, the fan comes right off (same fan, both systems). Those four
    >tiny screws are all that hold it on.
    >
    >I have not yet removed the heatsink, but I was advised to place the
    >motherboard in a freezer to make the adhesive brittle. The amount of
    >precaution required to prevent condensation damage means I will try
    >another method. I am slowly twisting the heatsink from side to side,
    >careful to avoid the resistors that surround the north bridge.
    >
    >Good luck!

    I have had the same problem on the AK77-8XN, I removed the fan, bent
    upwards the fan screw clips, fitted a small heatsink into where the fan was
    and on top of that a standard 40mm fan.

    The fan is held in place by the original fan screw clips which are just
    bent inwards enough to grip the fan very firmly.

    The heatsink underneath the fan is of the type designed for a 40mm fan and
    had to be fitted because the original fan was designed to vent out sideways
    rather than through the original heatsink.

    Its a bit of a bodge job, but it works, temp has dropped from 46c to 36c
    and should last until next upgrade.

    --

    Kevin