Replacing V880 and E450

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by patrickp, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. patrickp

    patrickp Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
    comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
    esitmate.

    I seen an article comparing the V440 to the T2000, but no such luck when it
    comes to the V880/E450.

    Here are my specs on the V880:

    16 GB RAM
    10 x 73 Gig HD
    8 x 1.050 Ghz CPU

    Here are my specs on the E450:

    4 GB RAM
    10 x 9 Gig HD
    4 x CPU UltraSparc II 400 MHZ

    Thanks

    patrickp, Mar 11, 2008

  2. patrickp

    Trinean Guest

    "patrickp" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
    > comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
    > esitmate.

    The new T5220:

    64 GB RAM
    8 x 146 GB HD
    1.4GHz 8-Core CPU

    Would be a killer system and use a fraction of the power.
    Plus it's only 4 inches high so uses much less space as well.

    With 8 threads per core it would look to the OS as if you have 64 CPUs.

    If you set up zones in Solaris 10 it could probably replace both the E450
    and the V880.
    Sun may even give you a nice trade in on the old equipment if they have a
    special going on.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Mar 11, 2008

  3. Trinean <> wrote:
    > "patrickp" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
    >> comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
    >> esitmate.

    > The new T5220:

    That's a nice machine. each "thread" seems way faster than the first
    coolthreads machines like the t1000, plus they use modern disk drives.

    Cydrome Leader, Mar 11, 2008
  4. patrickp

    Guest

    On Mar 11, 12:18 pm, "patrickp" <> wrote:

    > I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
    > comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
    > esitmate.

    You again only in different newsgroup. What's your BUDGET?
    Then maybe we can help. If you want to know costs and what's available
    now from Sun,
    unlike Oracle licensing, that's easy to look up at sun.com.
    Even then its a negotiation with Sun or your local reseller.

    > I seen an article comparing the V440 to the T2000,

    What article? Im familiar wth both machines. They arent
    really the same type of thing. Anyway the T2000 is the past.
    Move on : >

    > but no such luck when it comes to the V880/E450.

    The Sun site says that the V880 series has been replaced by the V890
    The E450 is so old that I dont know what to add here.

    > Here are my specs on the V880:
    > 16 GB RAM
    > 10 x 73 Gig HD
    > 8 x 1.050 Ghz CPU

    Theres still life in this machine.

    > Here are my specs on the E450:
    > 4 GB RAM
    > 10 x 9 Gig HD
    > 4 x CPU UltraSparc II 400 MHZ

    Suitable for testing Oracle after a makeover.
    More RAM and an HBA to a SAN might breathe some life into this one.

    Trinean mentions the 5220 which I have also recommended to a client
    recently.
    But an 8 core box is NOT cheap, you'd need the full 60 day Try&Buy to
    see if
    it can handle the load thats being asked for it now and in the
    "forseeable" future.

    My fave machines right now are the M series. But a fully loaded M4K is
    out of
    sight budget-wise for most folks. But the 2 CPU version is JUST
    affordable for some.

    , Mar 12, 2008