REPOST: Compare Dual P3-866 or single P4 2.4

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Mike O., Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Mike O.

    Mike O. Guest

    I posted this last Friday, but have seen no comments.. This is Usenet,
    everyone has an opinion!

    Maybe I should have titled it something like "Compare Dual Sheep to Single
    Ram"....

    Here's the situation:

    I have a be7 based system with a P4-2.4b, 533fSB, 512M of PC3200DDR.
    I'm overclocking to 2.52Ghz, with the RAM running at 186Mhz.

    I use the system for some photo editing (as a hobby, not
    professional), some games, general stuff (office, internet, etc.).
    This is running XP Pro

    I have an offer for a free VP6 motherboard with dual, matched P3-866's
    & 768 of SDRAM. I'm going to accecpt the offer (I'm not stupid!), but
    I was wondering which system would be higher performing. One system
    will be going to my son, but I'm not sure which one.

    My feeling is that they would be pretty close, with the BE7 being
    somewhat higher; the faster CPU/FSB speed on the BE7 would offset the
    advantages of the dual CPU. Also, the BE7 has 6 USB2 ports vs the 4
    USB1.1 on the VP6. I also realize the VP6 has a RAID controller, but that's
    not a big deal for me.

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    Mike O.
    Mike O., Jul 16, 2003

  2. For the few programs that can take advantage of the dual procs, they'll be
    pretty close in performance. In all other situations, the P4 will win hands
    down.

    That's based strictly on time from job start to job finish. There's a lot
    more to it than that.

    I have a VP6 with dual 1000s OCd to 1100, 1GB RAM and a 160GB RAID 0. I also
    have a BE7 RAID with a 3.06 P4 also with 1 GB RAM and a 240GB RAID 0. The P4
    has Hyperthreading disabled in BIOS, 'cause it's running Win2K as is the
    VP6.

    When doing an Mpeg encode on a 5-7 GB input file with software thats
    multiprocessor aware, the systems finish in almost a dead heat. There's not
    more'n a cuppla minutes difference in time from job start to job finish. And
    we're talking about several hours to do the encode.

    In almost every respect though, the P4 just stomps the shit outta the P3
    dualie. Its WAY faster in games and EVERY "single task" oriented
    environment.

    Now comes the strange part. My favorite computer and the one I use in almost
    all my daily work, is the P3 dualie. A dual processor machine is S M O O T
    H. It NEVER misses a beat. There's NEVER a wait for anything. I keep several
    large programs open all day, Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint, Internet
    Explorer, Outlook Express, Microsoft Word, Visual Basic and a professional
    Bitmap Masking program. Switching between them is effortless, fast, never a
    pause, never a hiccup. If one task goes haywire and starts hogging 100% of
    its processor, no problem ... I've got another entire processor that'll
    respond to Task Manager and let me kill the runaway process. Silky S M O O T
    H, efficient, fast and effective.

    The P4 doesn't have the same FEEL. Its fast, but klunky when heavily loaded.
    Not so, the dualie.

    Colon Terminus, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Mike O. wrote:

    > Now if only someone would give me a free dual P4 motherboard....

    P4 doesn't run in dual configurations.
    For that you need P4 Xeons, which are Socket 603 or 604.
    In 6-10 years, _maybe_ you can find a dual P4 Xeon mobo for free..
    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Jul 17, 2003
  4. Mike O.

    Homie Guest

    Hello,
    When you are ready to put the VP6 to work, you may want to consider the service that I
    offer (considering the price you paid, it would be a good investment). The board will
    be more stable and run cooler.
    I change all caps rated 1000uf and above (plus several others on VP6's), change some
    component values, clean & test the board with matched CPU's , the price includes
    return shipping and a one year warranty. $55.00

    --
    Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

    http://motherboardrepair.com

    Homie, Jul 19, 2003