    Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginize the CD.
    Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board. Thanks if you would help..bj
    , Jan 10, 2008

  2. Paul Guest

    Re: Req: Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginizethe CD. Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board.

    wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginize the CD.
    > Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board. Thanks if you would help..bj

    It took me more than half an hour, to find a working place to
    download a manual for your motherboard. I found one on epox.com.tw,
    but cannot post a URL because the URL is time limited (won't work
    later if someone tries it). Truly an exercise in stupidity on
    Epox's part. At one point, I was getting 2.1KB/sec download speed.
    I had to start two downloads going, of the same file, to "pump"
    up the transfer rate. I couldn't even use the "ping" command
    to poke at the site.

    Anyway, your motherboard is an interesting design. Initially,
    I looked at pictures of the motherboard on the Internet, and
    couldn't make sense of them. I think I've figured it out.

    There are

    (6) SATA *Output* ports
    (2) SATA *Input* ports

    The board has two SIL3811 SATA to IDE adapter chips. By connecting
    a SATA cable, from one of the six output ports, to the appropriate
    SP-A or SP-B SATA input port, that makes the SIL3811 work.

    And to boot from the CD, I would not use just any of the six available
    SATA ports. I believe they are broken up into two groups. Four of
    the ports support booting, and two do not. You may have to experiment
    a bit with your SATA cable, before discovering which of the six
    SATA outputs, should be connected to SP-A or SP-B.

    SP-A appears to make IDE-A work. And SP-B would be for IDE-B.

    In terms of the BIOS, try setting the SATA port mode, to
    something other than AHCI or RAID. The vanilla IDE mode
    is the most likely to work.

    I believe you should be able to see the CDROM drive identified
    in the BIOS, once the cabling is set up properly. For the CDROM
    drive, I would jumper it to "Master". Since the SIL3811 only
    drives one IDE device, you'd try "Master" with that. You would
    connect the CDROM drive, to the IDE connector on the end of the
    cable.

    +------------------------+ +------------------+
    | (SATA cable) | | (Ribbon cable) |
    ^ v | v
    1 of 6 SATA SP-A IDE-A CDROM as
    Output ports SATA Input ----> SIL3811 "Master"

    Hope that helps,
    Paul
    Paul, Jan 10, 2008

  3. Guest

    Thanks Paul, much appreciated... Use this address for faster results
    http://www.epox.com/USA/index.asp

    , Jan 14, 2008