Reset Switch GND, RESET#, brown, white

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    ASRock's motherboard 939A790GMH mentions the following in the quick
    installation guide/manual:

    Page 23:

    System Panel Header:
    O O O O
    O O O O O - dummy
    | |
    GND RESET#

    Antec 1200's reset switch connector has a brown and a white cable.

    I have some question about this:

    1. What is "RESET#" ? (I can understand "ground" but "RESET#" ???)

    2. How does a reset switch work ? Does it "cut power" ? Does it make all the
    electricity flow away via ground or something ?

    3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or vice
    versa ?

    I also have a theory how the motherboard might get damage if it's not
    grounded:

    The gnd cables and/or the reset switch somehow makes it possible for the
    chasis voltage and low ampere to briefly flow back into the motherboard,
    this probably weakens the electronics, if this is done often enough
    motherboard death would occur, therefore it would be best to ground the PC
    so this can't happen ?!?

    4. Last question, is this theory possible ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2011

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Joel Koltner Guest

    "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > I have some question about this:
    >
    > 1. What is "RESET#" ? (I can understand "ground" but "RESET#" ???)

    It means that the signal is active-low. That is, grounding it (rather than
    applying, e.g., 3.3V to it) is what makes it "active," or resets the computer.

    > 2. How does a reset switch work ? Does it "cut power" ? Does it make all the
    > electricity flow away via ground or something ?

    The switch itself just connects the two wires together when you push the
    switch. It doesn't "cut power." It maybe makes "all the electricity flow TO
    ground," perhaps... although that's an explanation that you would likely only
    get away with in elementary school -- and the lower grades at that. :)

    > 3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or vice
    > versa ?

    It doesn't matter -- as long as Reset# ends up physically connected to Ground,
    the color of the wires that do it is irrelevant.

    > The gnd cables and/or the reset switch somehow makes it possible for the
    > chasis voltage and low ampere to briefly flow back into the motherboard,
    > this probably weakens the electronics, if this is done often enough
    > motherboard death would occur, therefore it would be best to ground the PC
    > so this can't happen ?!?
    >
    > 4. Last question, is this theory possible ? ;)

    Um, no, not really.

    ---Joel

    Joel Koltner, May 26, 2011

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Metspitzer Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2011 16:53:56 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
    <> wrote:

    >> 3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or vice
    >> versa ?

    >It doesn't matter -- as long as Reset# ends up physically connected to Ground,
    >the color of the wires that do it is irrelevant.

    I have only bought a handful of compter cases and motherboards.
    Everyone I have ever built has the label side of the connectors facing
    to the edge of the mobo.

    Any exceptions?

    Metspitzer, May 26, 2011
  4. "Metspitzer" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 May 2011 16:53:56 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> 3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or
    >>> vice
    >>> versa ?

    >>It doesn't matter -- as long as Reset# ends up physically connected to
    >>Ground,
    >>the color of the wires that do it is irrelevant.
    >>

    > I have only bought a handful of compter cases and motherboards.
    > Everyone I have ever built has the label side of the connectors facing
    > to the edge of the mobo.
    >
    > Any exceptions?

    There are 4 edges ;)

    Ok two edges can be dismissed.

    This leaves two edges ;)

    So the labels are always facing an edge of a motherboard.

    I swapped the connector just at the last moment to follow your advice of
    facing the edge.

    Brown now goes to ground and white to reset.

    The power button and the other side is facing the other edge and I am 100%
    sure that's how it's supposed to be at least assuming "black is ground" ;)

    Black is ground ?

    Hmm yup at least for the fans so I will assume this is for headers too.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Better check this ;)

    Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2011
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Joel Koltner Guest

    > I have only bought a handful of compter cases and motherboards.
    > Everyone I have ever built has the label side of the connectors facing
    > to the edge of the mobo.
    >
    > Any exceptions?

    Weeelll... I don't recall seeing an exception, although I have encountered
    cases where the connector didn't match up with the motherboard's header at
    all -- USB connectors, early-on, are one example I recall.

    And I've also put together PCs (in years past) where the connectors weren't
    labeled at all -- sometimes there was a sheet of paper that came with the case
    telling you which colored wires went where, and other times you just had to
    figure it out for yourself, paying careful attention to where the wires
    actually went.

    I thnk it was Intel that was attempting to get a more standardized pin-out
    going so there's just be, e.g., one 2x7 header or whatever rather than 4-7 2-
    or 3-pin headers; I don't know if this was ever all that successful, though.

    Joel Koltner, May 26, 2011
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Shaun Guest

[...]

    Stick the RESET line up your ass, it will probably work better there on your
    computer.

    Shaun, May 26, 2011
  7. Skybuck Flying

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2011-05-26, Skybuck Flying <> wrote:

    > Brown now goes to ground and white to reset.
    >
    > The power button and the other side is facing the other edge and I am 100%
    > sure that's how it's supposed to be at least assuming "black is ground" ;)
    >

    > Black is ground ?
    >
    > Hmm yup at least for the fans so I will assume this is for headers too.

    With motherboard/front-panel connectors usually white is ground and
    colour is active, but polarity only matters for the LEDs. The switches
    and the loudspeaker will function fine with either polarity.

    --
    ⚂⚃ 100% natural

    Jasen Betts, May 27, 2011
  8. You guys make little sense.

    Anyway, something else doesn't make sense.

    Why is there a "gnd" connection for the reset header ?!?!?

    Could it be important ?! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 27, 2011