    I left store without buying computer.

    Do any laptops come with a restore disk?

    , Jun 14, 2006

  2. Chris Hill Guest

    On 13 Jun 2006 22:51:32 -0700, wrote:

    >went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop.
    >
    >They told me it does not come with a restore disk,
    >that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner.
    >AND that you only get ONE chance to try.
    >If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop, Circuit
    >City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee.
    >
    >Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all of
    >maybe twenty cents.
    >
    >I left store without buying computer.

    I'm sure some do, but not likely for the price you are after. What cc
    didn't tell you is that you may be able to exchange for any other item
    without the restocking fee. I never bothered making the dvd last time
    I bought a notebook, I just ghosted the whole drive instead; which
    would you rather have an a blank o/s where you have to reinstall
    everything or an image that will actually get you back up and running?

    Chris Hill, Jun 14, 2006

  3. pweegar Guest

    > Anonymouswrote
    went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop

    > They told me it does not come with a restore disk
    > that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner
    > AND that you only get ONE chance to try
    > If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop

    Circui
    > City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee
    >
    > Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all o
    > maybe twenty cents
    >
    > I left store without buying computer
    >

    > Do any laptops come with a restore disk

    Most pc's (desktops and laptops) have a restore partition. I kno
    Compaq and Gateway do this. If you need to restore, simply boot int
    the restore partition (Usually drive D:), and begin the restor
    process. I've never sucessfully created the recovery cd. Alway
    seems to have problems. Besides, I can always load any oS I own
    and the programs w/o the crap, I want on a system. And not many, i
    any at all, will include the necc. media to create the restore

    pweegar, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Microsoft REQUIRES that OEMs give customers a way to reinstall Windows.
    That can be a restore disc, or it can be a partition on the laptop
    (which, however, is of very little use if the hard drive dies).

    Toshiba laptops come with Restore CDs. Dell laptops can be ordered with
    them for $10 extra (otherwise you get the hard drive restore partition).

    Barry Watzman, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Joseph Fenn Guest

    > I'm sure some do, but not likely for the price you are after. What cc
    > didn't tell you is that you may be able to exchange for any other item
    > without the restocking fee. I never bothered making the dvd last time
    > I bought a notebook, I just ghosted the whole drive instead; which
    > would you rather have an a blank o/s where you have to reinstall
    > everything or an image that will actually get you back up and running?

    I likewise go the Ghost image to external HD. Very simple to use
    and gets every bit and byte you lost. Just make sure you copy
    Ghost V9 to both your c: drive and to your external usb drive
    whatever it might be E: F: G: H: cause your gonna have to run
    Ghost again to restore the image and it sure aint gonna be on your
    C: drive if it crashed.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jun 14, 2006
  6. M.I.5¾ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop.
    >
    > They told me it does not come with a restore disk,
    > that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner.
    > AND that you only get ONE chance to try.
    > If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop, Circuit
    > City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee.
    >
    > Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all of
    > maybe twenty cents.
    >
    > I left store without buying computer.
    >

    > Do any laptops come with a restore disk?

    This is becoming more and more common. The restore image is usually on a
    separate (and hidden) partition on the hard disk - exactly where you don't
    want it if the hard disk fails. One way to circumvent the one chance try
    (and the lack of restore disks), is to image the disk with Ghost or
    Trueimage before you do anything else. Make sure that you image the restore
    partition as well.

    M.I.5¾, Jun 15, 2006
  7. Guest

    Chris Hill wrote:

    > I bought a notebook, I just ghosted the whole drive instead; which
    > would you rather have an a blank o/s where you have to reinstall
    > everything or an image that will actually get you back up and running?

    I'd rather have both. I want to be able to restore the machine to
    factory condition when I resell it.

    , Jun 15, 2006