Restoring Axcel 4630, HD problems

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Axcel 4630, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Axcel 4630

    Axcel 4630 Guest

    I hadn't fired up the 4630 in 2 yrs. Recalled it working fine back then.
    It simply sat on the floor minding it's own business until yesterday. I
    now find I cannot access the HD. Tried reading it in another PC and it
    shows a directory structure but if I try to read a directory, the
    working PC cannot do it. Scandisk crashes when trying to access the 4630
    HD even when slaved to another PC. I "thnk" I recall seeing the word
    "locked" while trying to access the HD as a slave unit.

    When I try to run the 4630 on its own, it cannot load any OS. Scandisk
    insists it cannot read the drive. I have tried using the restore CD, no
    luck. I even tried formating the HD - "Attention: A serious disk error
    has occured while writing to drive C." A popup type screen asks if I
    would like to retry (r)? reading the HD, it becomes an endless loop and
    I need to reboot.

    The PB restore disk sys info shows Windows 95 [version 4.00.950] and I
    see another partition with DOS on it, most likely 6.22 can't remember
    when I put that on but it worked fine back then.

    If I try to delete a extended partition or any partition in Fdisk, it
    can't write to the HD

    Might it be the controller unit? The disk spins, the head moves, but I
    simply cannot get it up and running, nor restore, nor repair. Never ran
    into this type of problem before and I might as well learn from it.

    I started up another HD with Win95b on the 4630 but I don't let it get
    too far before halting the loading so it doesn't mess up the settings on
    the HD OS. So I know the original HD is the problem, just don't know
    what exactly is the problem. I can experiment is anyone has suggestions,
    the HD is expendable and the files on it aren't important.
    Axcel 4630, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Axcel 4630

    Elector Guest

    "Axcel 4630" <> wrote in message
    >I hadn't fired up the 4630 in 2 yrs. Recalled it working fine back then.
    > It simply sat on the floor minding it's own business until yesterday. I
    > now find I cannot access the HD. Tried reading it in another PC and it
    > shows a directory structure but if I try to read a directory, the
    > working PC cannot do it. Scandisk crashes when trying to access the 4630
    > HD even when slaved to another PC. I "thnk" I recall seeing the word
    > "locked" while trying to access the HD as a slave unit.
    >
    > When I try to run the 4630 on its own, it cannot load any OS. Scandisk
    > insists it cannot read the drive. I have tried using the restore CD, no
    > luck. I even tried formating the HD - "Attention: A serious disk error
    > has occured while writing to drive C." A popup type screen asks if I
    > would like to retry (r)? reading the HD, it becomes an endless loop and
    > I need to reboot.
    >
    > The PB restore disk sys info shows Windows 95 [version 4.00.950] and I
    > see another partition with DOS on it, most likely 6.22 can't remember
    > when I put that on but it worked fine back then.
    >
    > If I try to delete a extended partition or any partition in Fdisk, it
    > can't write to the HD
    >
    > Might it be the controller unit? The disk spins, the head moves, but I
    > simply cannot get it up and running, nor restore, nor repair. Never ran
    > into this type of problem before and I might as well learn from it.
    >
    > I started up another HD with Win95b on the 4630 but I don't let it get
    > too far before halting the loading so it doesn't mess up the settings on
    > the HD OS. So I know the original HD is the problem, just don't know
    > what exactly is the problem. I can experiment is anyone has suggestions,
    > the HD is expendable and the files on it aren't important.

    Couple of things come to mind.

    1- Did you replace the battery? If the unit sat for that long the CMOS
    information has more than likely been lost.

    2- After you replace the battery, go into the BIOS and select AUTOMATIC to
    set the unit back to see the hard drive and others device settings.

    I would not have done any type of attempt at restoring until I did that.

    Also the power supply may have gone KAPUT while it sat. Did you try another
    power supply to see if you have enough juice to even run the HD?

    Just some suggestions.

    I hope I helped?

    Elector
    Elector, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Axcel 4630

    metronid Guest

    I have a set of floppies that will diagnoose the problem possibly

    metronid, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Axcel 4630

    Axcel 4630 Guest

    Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It won't
    fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and restored the
    original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just never had a HD
    die before and wondered if the HD controller or some other mechanical or
    electronic failure is the cause.

    Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
    sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
    hiding on the clone.dell group.
    Axcel 4630, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Axcel 4630

    metronid Guest

    Actually once you followed a simple logic the problem was solved by
    yourself.
    You checked it out in another PC and knew it was bad
    You then tried a known working HD and proved the system was good.

    They soemtimes die
    People die also
    here today gone tomorrow.

    Most electronic things go on startup
    Although they can go anytime

    The controoller was not the cause
    Mechanical would be the heads binding
    Electrical could be anything

    metronid, Mar 29, 2006
  6. Axcel 4630

    mdp Guest

    Axcel 4630 wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It
    > won't fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and
    > restored the original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just
    > never had a HD die before and wondered if the HD controller or some
    > other mechanical or electronic failure is the cause.
    >
    > Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
    > sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
    > hiding on the clone.dell group.

    Have you heard of the old "put the HD in the freezer for a while" then try?
    Sometimes works for a variety of reasons but if it does don't count on it
    permanently. If it works, you'll have some time to get files off.
    mdp, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Axcel 4630

    metronid Guest

    I only place food in my freezer.
    When and if I have a HD failure.
    I will rely on my Raid
    I also have a backup and restore on CD

    I do not futz with bad or tempermental parts
    Not worth my time

    But I will give your idea av try if I ever get to that point

    metronid, Mar 29, 2006