RFC 2665 error on intel

Discussion in 'Intel' started by vini, Sep 9, 2010.

  1. vini

    vini Guest

    Hi All

    RFC 2665 defines "dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors" as a
    implementation dependent counter for errors while receiving an
    ethernet frame.

    Intel defines this error as follows:
    RMII_FRM_ALN_ERROR || XTRA_BYTE || LEN_ERR

    || RX_LATE_COLL || (MII_FRM_ALN_ERR &&

    !FCS_ERR)

    I am seeing that this counter is incrementing on my intel ixp
    platform. However, I do not fully understand the meaning of
    "XTRA_BYTE" reason for this counter.

    Please help in finding out the reasons for which intel will increment
    this counter.

    Regards
    VG
    vini, Sep 9, 2010

  2. vini

    Rick Jones Guest

    vini <> wrote:
    > RFC 2665 defines "dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors" as a
    > implementation dependent counter for errors while receiving an
    > ethernet frame.

    > Intel defines this error as follows:
    > RMII_FRM_ALN_ERROR || XTRA_BYTE || LEN_ERR
    > || RX_LATE_COLL || (MII_FRM_ALN_ERR &&
    > !FCS_ERR)

    > I am seeing that this counter is incrementing on my intel ixp
    > platform. However, I do not fully understand the meaning of
    > "XTRA_BYTE" reason for this counter.

    > Please help in finding out the reasons for which intel will increment
    > this counter.

    My understanding is that the comp.sys.intel group mostly discusses
    (well, something like discussion...) Intel processors. While I cannot
    discount the possiblity of someone familiar with Intel NICs reading
    this group, you may have more luck with Intel NIC chips and their
    drivers either in some specific forum on intel.com (if there is one)
    or perhaps in comp.protocols.lan.ethernet.

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones
    Rick Jones, Sep 10, 2010