root on a Lion

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Torsten Jørgensen, Apr 18, 2012.

  1. How do I become root on a Lion?

    /Torsten

    Torsten Jørgensen, Apr 18, 2012

  2. Torsten Jørgensen

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/18/12 9:17 AM, in article 2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom,
    "Torsten Jørgensen" <> wrote:

    > How do I become root on a Lion?
    >
    > /Torsten

    Why?

    George Kerby, Apr 18, 2012

  3. Torsten Jørgensen

    Sara Guest

    In article <2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom>,
    Torsten Jørgensen <> wrote:

    > How do I become root on a Lion?
    >
    > /Torsten

    Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

    --
    Sara

    Cats cats cats cats

    Sara, Apr 18, 2012
  4. Torsten Jørgensen

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
    -september.org, "Sara"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom>,
    > Torsten Jørgensen <> wrote:
    >
    >> How do I become root on a Lion?
    >>
    >> /Torsten

    > Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

    I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

    George Kerby, Apr 18, 2012
  5. Torsten Jørgensen

    Sara Guest

    In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%>,
    George Kerby <> wrote:

    > On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
    > -september.org, "Sara"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom>,
    > > Torsten Jørgensen <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> How do I become root on a Lion?
    > >>
    > >> /Torsten

    > > Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

    > I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

    The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
    most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

    --
    Sara

    Peeps squeaks, Billy is silly and as for Armageddon...

    Sara, Apr 18, 2012
  6. Sara <> wrote:

    > In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%>,
    > George Kerby <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
    > > -september.org, "Sara"
    > > <> wrote:

    > > > Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

    > > I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

    > The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
    > most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

    I can't help but think about the analogy to the saying about the price
    of yachts, where if you have to ask the price of the yacht, then you
    can't afford it. (Not strictly true, as I know at least one person who
    owns a small yacht, but would not have been able to swing a more
    expensive one, but it is still a common saying.)

    In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
    figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
    who should not have one.

    domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

    Richard Maine, Apr 18, 2012
  7. Torsten Jørgensen

    nospam Guest

    <> wrote:

    > How do I become root on a Lion?

    ask its tamer.

    nospam, Apr 18, 2012
  8. Torsten Jørgensen

    nospam Guest

    In article <1kiqq3g.15mmrzu1db3wgwN%>, Richard
    Maine <> wrote:

    > In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
    > figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
    > who should not have one.

    absolutely.

    nospam, Apr 18, 2012
  9. Torsten Jørgensen

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/18/12 11:32 AM, in article
    <> wrote:

    > Sara <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%>,
    >> George Kerby <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
    >>> -september.org, "Sara"

    >>> I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

    >> The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
    >> most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

    > I can't help but think about the analogy to the saying about the price
    > of yachts, where if you have to ask the price of the yacht, then you
    > can't afford it. (Not strictly true, as I know at least one person who
    > owns a small yacht, but would not have been able to swing a more
    > expensive one, but it is still a common saying.)
    >
    > In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
    > figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
    > who should not have one.

    Agreed!

    George Kerby, Apr 18, 2012
  10. Torsten Jørgensen

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/18/12 10:45 AM, in article
    -september.org, "Sara"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%>,
    > George Kerby <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
    >> -september.org, "Sara"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

    >> I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

    > The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
    > most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

    It was perfectly placed for anyone who was interested to obtain a viable
    answer. My thought is that the OP maybe should not try such a thing if s/he
    cannot follow your excellent tip.

    George Kerby, Apr 18, 2012
  11. Torsten Jørgensen

    JF Mezei Guest

    Out of curiosity,

    how is "root" disabled ? Does the OS put in an absolutely impossible to
    guess random string of 255 characters as password ?

    After all, "root" must still be usable during startup and I assume many
    software installs etc.

    And when someone uses "sudo" to perform a task, does this not imply that
    a process will be running under root ?

    Does Unix have a way to disable interactive logins ?

    At what level is this disabling done ?

    JF Mezei, Apr 18, 2012
  12. In article <2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom>,
    Torsten Jørgensen <> wrote:

    > How do I become root on a Lion?
    >
    > /Torsten

    Didn't you just ask the same question in another thread?

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Apr 18, 2012
  13. Torsten Jørgensen

    JF Mezei Guest

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    > Didn't you just ask the same question in another thread?

    There was 1 hour and 17 minutes time period between the two identical
    questions. :)

    JF Mezei, Apr 18, 2012
  14. JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > Out of curiosity,
    >
    > how is "root" disabled ? Does the OS put in an absolutely impossible to
    > guess random string of 255 characters as password ?
    >
    > After all, "root" must still be usable during startup and I assume many
    > software installs etc.
    >
    > And when someone uses "sudo" to perform a task, does this not imply that
    > a process will be running under root ?
    >
    > Does Unix have a way to disable interactive logins ?
    >
    > At what level is this disabling done ?

    The classic way in Unix is to put something like "!" as the encrypted
    password in the shadow file. Note I said the encrypted password - not
    the unecrypted one. Odds are that doesn't correspond to *ANY*
    unencrypted password (that might even be guaranteed, though it has been
    a long time since I looked at password encryption stuff, so I'm not sure
    on that part). It is common to also set the shell to /usr/bin/false.
    That's for general Unix systems, though some newer ones such as OS X
    might have different ways.

    It just disables logins. It definitely does *NOT* prevent processes from
    running as root. Sudo works just fine, in fact that's usually the idea -
    to force someone to login with another id first and then use sudo.

    domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

    Richard Maine, Apr 18, 2012
  15. ure (Richard Maine) writes:

    > Sara <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%>,
    > > George Kerby <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
    > > > -september.org, "Sara"

    > > > I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

    > > The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
    > > most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

    > I can't help but think about the analogy to the saying about the price
    > of yachts, where if you have to ask the price of the yacht, then you
    > can't afford it. (Not strictly true, as I know at least one person who
    > owns a small yacht, but would not have been able to swing a more
    > expensive one, but it is still a common saying.)
    >
    > In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
    > figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
    > who should not have one.

    Excellent characterization!

    Doug Anderson, Apr 19, 2012
  16. Torsten Jørgensen

    Király Guest

    Király, Apr 19, 2012
  17. JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > Barry Margolin wrote:
    >
    > > Didn't you just ask the same question in another thread?

    > There was 1 hour and 17 minutes time period between the two identical
    > questions. :)

    He waited that long before posting the same question again? I'm
    impressed ;-) Recently in one of the alt.games groups I follow some poor
    fool posted the same question 16 times over the course of one day....
    Said game is over ten years old, and the group is not exactly being
    refreshed every ten seconds by regulars.

    The response he finally got was rather amusing, though I don't think he
    ever actually received an answer to his query :-D
    --
    If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 19, 2012
  18. Torsten Jørgensen

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 09:32:14 -0700, Richard Maine wrote:

    > I can't help but think about the analogy to the saying about the price
    > of yachts, where if you have to ask the price of the yacht, then you
    > can't afford it. (Not strictly true, as I know at least one person who
    > owns a small yacht, but would not have been able to swing a more
    > expensive one, but it is still a common saying.)

    That's a good analogy.

    > In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
    > figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
    > who should not have one.

    I've only enabled root twice on OS X. Once to find out if it could be
    done, out of curiosity, and the second time to remove some file I
    couldn't get rid of any other way. I assume the second case was down to
    a series of power cuts I had in quick succession.

    P.S. Back to boats. Some guy posted to a forum "Today is the happiest
    day of my life. I've just bought my first boat." The reply came
    swiftly, "Correction. This is the second happiest day of your life.
    The happiest day of your life is when you manage to sell your first
    boat."

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Apr 19, 2012
  19. Paul Sture <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 09:32:14 -0700, Richard Maine wrote:

    > > In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
    > > figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
    > > who should not have one.

    > I've only enabled root twice on OS X. Once to find out if it could be
    > done, out of curiosity, and the second time to remove some file I
    > couldn't get rid of any other way.

    I can well believe you might have needed root privileges to get rid of a
    file. That can happen. There are also several other valid reasons to
    need to do something as root. I've sure had to many, many times on
    various different Unix systems over the years.

    But you should not have needed a root *LOGIN*, which was the question at
    hand. The usual way to do something as root on a modern Unix system
    (including OS X) is to log in as a regular user and then use sudo to do
    something as root. That should work fine for things like deleting an
    otherwise undeletable file.

    A root login would be needed more for things like when some problem made
    it impossible to login as a regular user (and it wasn't just a problem
    with a particular user so that logging in as another regular user could
    work). But in that kind of case, you'd normally be looking at
    single-user mode at the console, which doesn't need a root login either.
    There's not a lot of room left between cases where you need (or at least
    could use) single-user mode and cases where you can login as a regular
    user and use sudo.

    domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

    Richard Maine, Apr 19, 2012
  20. Torsten Jørgensen

    JF Mezei Guest

    With regards to "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" analogy:

    Someone coming from another Unix environment needs to "map" the normal
    Unix command to the Apple supplied GUI way to enable root.

    So this question is fair game since Apple is different from other Unix
    systems from that point of view and does not necessarily denote the
    person asking the question has insufficient knowledge/experience with Unix.

    This is especially true since Apple has made many changes to how things
    are done with each version of the OS.

    JF Mezei, Apr 19, 2012