Rumors (MBP - June)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alan Browne, May 15, 2012.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, May 15, 2012

  2. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

    In a recent teleconference with financial alanysts, Tim Cook killed the
    rumour that iPad would replace the laptops. He clearly stated they were
    aimed at 2 different types of customers with different needs.

    Considering laptops sells very well and provide Apple with so much
    publicity at Stabucks and other trendy places with the lighted Apple
    logos everywhere, Apple would be stupid to cannabalise the laptop business.
    JF Mezei, May 16, 2012

  3. Alan Browne

    Davoud Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > The end of FW 800 perhaps?

    Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that a lot of
    scientific users rely on FW800 for video cameras of all sorts. In
    addition to regular consumer and pro cameras, see Point Grey and The
    Imaging Source, both manufacturers of small scientific-imaging cameras.
    I use these in astronomy, wildlife monitoring, and photomicrography.

    > The first salvo to merger [sic] the MBP and MBA?

    Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that many
    users can't do without a powerful laptop. Apple are not going to
    eliminate Aperture, Photoshop, FCP, Adobe Premiere, and other
    heavy-duty apps from their portables. "But these can run on the Air,"
    you argue. Sort of, but that's not good enough. I sometimes need to run
    Aperture, Photoshop CS5 Extended, and FCP X, and maybe an audio editor
    simultaneously on my recent-but-not-latest-model MBP 17 with Core i7
    and 8GB of RAM. Works fine. Can't do that with an Air.

    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
    Davoud, May 16, 2012
  4. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Davoud wrote:

    > Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that a lot of
    > scientific users rely on FW800 for video cameras of all sorts.

    This is a dangerous assumption nowadays. Apple no longer does "hobbies".
    It got out of the business market, no longer makes servers etc.

    Apple wants mass market.

    I am not sure it is safe to assume that one technology will be
    maintained on Macs because of a niche market of scientists (or whatever
    former group of loyal Mac fans).

    We may be loyal to Apple, but I am not sure Apple is loyal to us. They
    go to where they can make money and if screwing our niche market needs
    means that they get to cater to a bigger "mass market", then they will
    step over us with no regrets.

    They are in business to make money. And, for now, they have a winning
    formula.
    JF Mezei, May 16, 2012
  5. Alan Browne

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:

    JF Mezei:
    > This is a dangerous assumption nowadays. Apple no longer does "hobbies".
    > It got out of the business market, no longer makes servers etc.

    Safe as any bet in technology can be. "January 11, 2012:
    A new report by Forrester Research suggests the growing business
    adoption of Apple iPads and Macs is displacing Microsoft's grip on the
    corporate market with PCs." You can find scores or hundreds of reports
    on the web concerning Apples increased penetration of the business
    market.

    > I am not sure it is safe to assume that one technology will be
    > maintained on Macs because of a niche market of scientists (or whatever
    > former group of loyal Mac fans).

    Science and graphic arts and publishing and television and cinema and
    music production are not tiny markets for Apple, and Apple is unlikely
    to walk away from these markets.

    Davoud, May 16, 2012
  6. In article <>, Alan Browne

    http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-macbook-pro-intel-20120515,0,6445490.story

    > Could we be seeing the first USB 3?
    >
    > The end of FW 800 perhaps?
    >
    > The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

    Possibly USB 3.0. There's also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
    DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
    Helpful Harry, May 16, 2012
  7. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Helpful Harry wrote:

    > Possibly USB 3.0. There's also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
    > DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

    I would not be happy about dropping physical ethernet port. Having a
    laptop that can physically connect to a switch and run wireshark to do
    packet traces is very very useful.
    JF Mezei, May 16, 2012
  8. Alan Browne

    Davoud Guest

    Helpful Harry:
    > > Possibly USB 3.0. There's [sic] also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
    > > DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

    MacBook Pro, dropping Ethernet? You were a dodo when you went into my
    kill-file and you're still a dodo.

    Davoud, May 16, 2012
  9. In article <4fb2eaef$0$1765$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    > > The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

    > In a recent teleconference with financial alanysts, Tim Cook killed the
    > rumour that iPad would replace the laptops. He clearly stated they were
    > aimed at 2 different types of customers with different needs.
    >
    > Considering laptops sells very well and provide Apple with so much
    > publicity at Stabucks and other trendy places with the lighted Apple
    > logos everywhere, Apple would be stupid to cannabalise the laptop
    > business.

    He wasn't referring to the iPad replacing laptops. He was speculating on
    the convergence of the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air. Even a cynic like
    you should have been able to understand that.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, May 16, 2012
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-15 19:46 , JF Mezei wrote:
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    >> The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

    > In a recent teleconference with financial alanysts, Tim Cook killed the
    > rumour that iPad would replace the laptops. He clearly stated they were
    > aimed at 2 different types of customers with different needs.

    The MBP and the MBA have nothing to do with iPad.

    --
    "A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
    -Samuel Clemens.
    Alan Browne, May 16, 2012
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-15 20:11 , Davoud wrote:
    > Alan Browne wrote:

    >> The end of FW 800 perhaps?

    > Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that a lot of
    > scientific users rely on FW800 for video cameras of all sorts. In
    > addition to regular consumer and pro cameras, see Point Grey and The
    > Imaging Source, both manufacturers of small scientific-imaging cameras.
    > I use these in astronomy, wildlife monitoring, and photomicrography.

    I hope you're right.

    >> The first salvo to merger [sic] the MBP and MBA?

    Either meant to type "merge" or "merger of".

    > Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that many
    > users can't do without a powerful laptop. Apple are not going to
    > eliminate Aperture, Photoshop, FCP, Adobe Premiere, and other
    > heavy-duty apps from their portables. "But these can run on the Air,"
    > you argue. Sort of, but that's not good enough. I sometimes need to run
    > Aperture, Photoshop CS5 Extended, and FCP X, and maybe an audio editor
    > simultaneously on my recent-but-not-latest-model MBP 17 with Core i7
    > and 8GB of RAM. Works fine. Can't do that with an Air.

    You don't understand what "merge" and "first salvo" mean.

    A merge of Air and Pro can mean that the Air thin/smallness is at the
    lower screen size end of the Pro line while the 17" screen is
    represented by a hard-disk free machine that is as thin (or close) as
    the Air's. And on that larger version there would also be room for more
    interfaces like FW and additional USB's.

    That's what merger is about - ending one of the name lines (or both),
    not ending the ability to satisfy the needs of all portable mac users.

    Alan Browne, May 16, 2012
  12. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-16 07:09 , JF Mezei wrote:
    > Helpful Harry wrote:
    >
    >> Possibly USB 3.0. There's also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
    >> DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

    > I would not be happy about dropping physical ethernet port. Having a
    > laptop that can physically connect to a switch and run wireshark to do
    > packet traces is very very useful.

    I'm sure an emergency letter from you to Tim will prevent that.

    Otherwise a USB/Ethernet adaptor will have to suffice.

    Alan Browne, May 16, 2012
  13. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-16 14:41 , Davoud wrote:
    > Helpful Harry:
    >>> Possibly USB 3.0. There's [sic] also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
    >>> DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

    > You were a dodo when you went into my
    > kill-file and you're still a dodo.

    Then why answer him via another post? [rhetorical].

    BTW: as on the MBA, Ethernet is easily added with a USB adaptor.

    And before you raise an objection to that, with USB 3 there will likely
    be gigabit USB/Ethernet adaptors in short course.

    As the new MBP's will likely have USB 3 (part of Ivy Bridge)

    Within a few years the CD/DVD drive will be gone, the Ethernet port will
    be gone. ...

    Alan Browne, May 16, 2012
  14. In article <4fb38ae6$0$14880$c3e8da3$>, JF Mezei
    <> wrote:
    > Helpful Harry wrote:
    > >
    > > Possibly USB 3.0. There's also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
    > > DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

    > I would not be happy about dropping physical ethernet port. Having a
    > laptop that can physically connect to a switch and run wireshark to do
    > packet traces is very very useful.

    *IF&* the rumour is indeed true, then you will still be able to connect to
    an Ethernet wired network, but you'll need an adaptor (e.g. USB <->
    Ethernet).

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
    Helpful Harry, May 16, 2012
  15. Alan Browne

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > > You were a dodo when you went into my
    > > kill-file and you're still a dodo.

    > Then why answer him via another post? [rhetorical].
    >
    > BTW: as on the MBA, Ethernet is easily added with a USB adaptor.
    >
    > And before you raise an objection to that, with USB 3 there will likely
    > be gigabit USB/Ethernet adaptors in short course.

    there's also a very good chance the next macbook pro will have 802.11ac
    which dramatically reduces the need for wired ethernet. netgear's
    802.11ac router goes on sale later this month and i'm sure apple has
    one in the works.

    > As the new MBP's will likely have USB 3 (part of Ivy Bridge)

    usb 3 is part of ivy bridge, but it's not clear if apple is going to
    support it alongside thunderbolt. if they do, there will be *three*
    high speed protocols (usb3, firewire, thunderbolt) and that seems a
    little excessive.

    > Within a few years the CD/DVD drive will be gone, the Ethernet port will
    > be gone. ...

    the cd/dvd is almost guaranteed to be gone in the next macbook pro
    revision, however, dropping ethernet is just a rumour, so far.
    nospam, May 16, 2012
  16. In article <160520121441084448%>, wrote:
    > Helpful Harry:
    > > > Possibly USB 3.0. There's also rumours of the new MacBook Pro
    > > > Pro dropping the DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to
    > > > a "Retina" display.

    > MacBook Pro, dropping Ethernet? You were a dodo when you went into my
    > kill-file and you're still a dodo.

    And you're still a moron. I was simply repeating rumours that have
    appeared on various websites. The rumours all try to suggest a thinner Mac
    Book Pro, and the only way to do that is to remove the DVD drive and the
    Ethernet port, as has been done in the MacBook Air models.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
    Helpful Harry, May 16, 2012
  17. In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:
    > On 2012-05-15 19:46 , JF Mezei wrote:
    > > Alan Browne wrote:
    > >
    > >> The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

    > > In a recent teleconference with financial alanysts, Tim Cook killed the
    > > rumour that iPad would replace the laptops. He clearly stated they were
    > > aimed at 2 different types of customers with different needs.

    > The MBP and the MBA have nothing to do with iPad.

    There have been rumours of an Apple laptop with a rotatable screen so it
    can be either a Mac OS laptop or an iOS tablet (there have been similar
    products made by other companies, but they all used Windows in both
    modes). Of course, these rumours should be filed in the garbage bin
    alongside the tiltable iMac that automatically swaps between Mac OS and
    iOS.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
    Helpful Harry, May 16, 2012
  18. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-16 17:08 , nospam wrote:

    >>> You were a dodo when you went into my
    >>> kill-file and you're still a dodo.

    >> Then why answer him via another post? [rhetorical].
    >>
    >> BTW: as on the MBA, Ethernet is easily added with a USB adaptor.
    >>
    >> And before you raise an objection to that, with USB 3 there will likely
    >> be gigabit USB/Ethernet adaptors in short course.

    > there's also a very good chance the next macbook pro will have 802.11ac
    > which dramatically reduces the need for wired ethernet. netgear's
    > 802.11ac router goes on sale later this month and i'm sure apple has
    > one in the works.

    That means new WiFi's where gigabit wiring is already in service.
    People will want to maintain the gigabit infrastructure w/o buying new
    802.11ac gear - esp. at first when it will be most expensive.

    >> As the new MBP's will likely have USB 3 (part of Ivy Bridge)

    > usb 3 is part of ivy bridge, but it's not clear if apple is going to
    > support it alongside thunderbolt. if they do, there will be *three*
    > high speed protocols (usb3, firewire, thunderbolt) and that seems a
    > little excessive.

    As someone else pointed out, esp. for the power users, having various
    serial interfaces is a must. It's not too early to adopt USB 3 and it's
    too early to drop FW 800. The T-bolt sits with the DVI in any case so
    there's no real-estate issue on the larger portables.

    >> Within a few years the CD/DVD drive will be gone, the Ethernet port will
    >> be gone. ...

    > the cd/dvd is almost guaranteed to be gone in the next macbook pro
    > revision, however, dropping ethernet is just a rumour, so far.

    The subject says it all.

    I'm just amused at people getting riled up over it when it's fun and
    informative to discuss the options - what usenet is all about.

    Alan Browne, May 16, 2012
  19. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-16 17:10 , Helpful Harry wrote:
    > In article <160520121441084448%>, wrote:
    >> Helpful Harry:

    >> MacBook Pro, dropping Ethernet? You were a dodo when you went into my
    >> kill-file and you're still a dodo.

    > And you're still a moron. I was simply repeating rumours that have
    > appeared on various websites. The rumours all try to suggest a thinner Mac
    > Book Pro, and the only way to do that is to remove the DVD drive and the
    > Ethernet port, as has been done in the MacBook Air models.

    ..[1]

    [1] So your friend can see this post.

    Alan Browne, May 16, 2012
  20. Alan Browne

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > >> And before you raise an objection to that, with USB 3 there will likely
    > >> be gigabit USB/Ethernet adaptors in short course.

    > > there's also a very good chance the next macbook pro will have 802.11ac
    > > which dramatically reduces the need for wired ethernet. netgear's
    > > 802.11ac router goes on sale later this month and i'm sure apple has
    > > one in the works.

    > That means new WiFi's where gigabit wiring is already in service.

    yes it does, which means wifi is now a viable alternative to wired.

    > People will want to maintain the gigabit infrastructure w/o buying new
    > 802.11ac gear - esp. at first when it will be most expensive.

    those people will use a usb-ethernet adapter, while others will jump at
    cutting the wire.

    > >> As the new MBP's will likely have USB 3 (part of Ivy Bridge)

    > > usb 3 is part of ivy bridge, but it's not clear if apple is going to
    > > support it alongside thunderbolt. if they do, there will be *three*
    > > high speed protocols (usb3, firewire, thunderbolt) and that seems a
    > > little excessive.

    > As someone else pointed out, esp. for the power users, having various
    > serial interfaces is a must. It's not too early to adopt USB 3 and it's
    > too early to drop FW 800. The T-bolt sits with the DVI in any case so
    > there's no real-estate issue on the larger portables.

    the question is, how much does apple care about power users?

    based on other product decisions, they're perfectly happy to target the
    masses at the expense of losing some high end users.

    one example is final cut pro->final cut x. many people call it imovie
    pro rather than final cut.

    > >> Within a few years the CD/DVD drive will be gone, the Ethernet port will
    > >> be gone. ...

    > > the cd/dvd is almost guaranteed to be gone in the next macbook pro
    > > revision, however, dropping ethernet is just a rumour, so far.

    > The subject says it all.
    >
    > I'm just amused at people getting riled up over it when it's fun and
    > informative to discuss the options - what usenet is all about.

    absolutely. some of the rumours will be true and some won't. some are
    very likely (cd/dvd going away) and others can go either way.
    nospam, May 16, 2012