    I've run out of interrupts on my pa2013 even though interrupt steering
    is enabled. Does this seem likely given that i only have an AGP card,
    ethernet card and 2 USB ports card?

    blackhead, Jun 10, 2008

  2. What kind of problems are you running into, exactly? Usually, IRQ
    sharing between PCI devices should work just fine, but sometimes there
    are components that break the rules and do not behave as they should.

    Is your computer freezing part of the way through the boot process? If
    so, at which part does it freeze? As it is loading Windows? Is this
    related to the 40 GB hard drive post you made earlier?

    Does the machine boot if you remove the USB card, or disable the onboard
    USB controller? I have heard of conflicts between PCI USB cards and
    onboard USB ports based on early VIA chipsets.

    You did not mention a sound card. Do you have one installed? If so,
    have you tried removing it? Sometimes sounds card drivers that still
    try to emulate the old SB16 card in Windows run into IRQ problems with
    PCI devices. There are often ways around this, but it depends on the
    sound card.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jun 16, 2008

  3. blackhead

    blackhead Guest

    On 16 Jun, 19:18, Alex Zorrilla <> wrote:
    > What kind of problems are you running into, exactly?  Usually, IRQ
    > sharing between PCI devices should work just fine, but sometimes there
    > are components that break the rules and do not behave as they should.
    >
    > Is your computer freezing part of the way through the boot process?  If
    > so, at which part does it freeze?  As it is loading Windows?  Is this
    > related to the 40 GB hard drive post you made earlier?
    >
    > Does the machine boot if you remove the USB card, or disable the onboard
    > USB controller?  I have heard of conflicts between PCI USB cards and
    > onboard USB ports based on early VIA chipsets.
    >
    > You did not mention a sound card.  Do you have one installed?  If so,
    > have you tried removing it?  Sometimes sounds card drivers that still
    > try to emulate the old SB16 card in Windows run into IRQ problems with
    > PCI devices.  There are often ways around this, but it depends on the
    > sound card.

    The sound card is a PCI Creative Soundblaster and its legacy driver
    doesn't have an interrupt available for it. I disabled the parallel
    port to free up its interrupt and everything works fine now.

    blackhead, Jun 19, 2008
  4. Ohhh, yeah. I remember those. For the Sound Blaster PCI cards in
    Win98, try going to Device Manager --> Creative SB Emulation -->
    Settings --> check "Allow LPT Interrupt Sharing". Hit Apply and OK and
    reboot.

    The Creative SB Emulation will probably be under "Sound, video and game
    controllers" or under "Creative Miscellaneous Devices".

    Other sound cards (like the SB16 emulation in Aureal sound cards) made
    you do weird things like go into the PCI/PnP Configuration section of
    the BIOS to reserve an IRQ for the SB16 emulation. Ugh.

    On the other hand, if you are fine with disabling the LPT port, then you
    may just stick with that. It took me a little while to remember this
    stuff, since I had dealt with it in a while. It happened to pretty much
    any computer that used Win98, not just the PA2013. What a pain.

    Anyway, glad you got it running.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jun 19, 2008
  5. blackhead

    trinity7

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    When you boot the board, it should show which BIOS you're using. On the
    board somewhere should show what Rev> you have. Give it a try. What's the
    hurt. Just don't let any factory smoke out

    trinity7, Jul 29, 2008