running 3 cd/dvd drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edward, May 24, 2004.

  1. Edward

    Edward Guest

    I want to have 3 drives running in my computer, a DVD, DVD-RW and
    CD-RW. Don';t ask as to why I have to have this setup, i just want to.
    Thing is, i Have just enough power cords from the power unit to run my
    3 drives, my floppy and my HDD, but not enough ribbon cables from the
    motherboard. one ribbon goes only to the floppy, one goes to two of my
    current cd drives and the final goes to my hdd (this last one has a
    spare plug bit, but no matter how hard i try, i can't make it reach).
    Can i get an extension for the final HDD plug bit, would this even
    work properly if I did? Is there a doubler unit of some kind i can use
    to double up a plug? On a different note...what are the jumper
    settings for a amd 2100+ processor and an amd 2500+ processor?

    Thanks for your future input (if there is any....)

    Ed

    1. Advertising

  2. Mike Walsh

    Mike Walsh Guest

    Buy a Y splitter cable for power; this will plug into an existing power cable and give you one more power plug. You can buy a longer ribbon cable to reach a drive anywhere in your case. The best configuration would be to get a PCI expansion card, e.g. Promise ATA adapter, for your hard drives and put the optical drives on the onboard IDE ports.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    1. Advertising

  3. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    Running an optical drive and your harddrive off of the same IDE controller
    will greatly slow down the data transfer rate of the harddrive. You're SURE
    you need 3 optical drives that badly?

    --
    DaveW

    "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > I want to have 3 drives running in my computer, a DVD, DVD-RW and
    > CD-RW. Don';t ask as to why I have to have this setup, i just want to.
    > Thing is, i Have just enough power cords from the power unit to run my
    > 3 drives, my floppy and my HDD, but not enough ribbon cables from the
    > motherboard. one ribbon goes only to the floppy, one goes to two of my
    > current cd drives and the final goes to my hdd (this last one has a
    > spare plug bit, but no matter how hard i try, i can't make it reach).
    > Can i get an extension for the final HDD plug bit, would this even
    > work properly if I did? Is there a doubler unit of some kind i can use
    > to double up a plug? On a different note...what are the jumper
    > settings for a amd 2100+ processor and an amd 2500+ processor?
    >
    > Thanks for your future input (if there is any....)
    >
    > Ed

  4. Edward

    Edward Guest

    ok, ive decided to just have two optical drives. I want to give up my
    dvd drive, as its not vfery useful and just have a cdrw and dvdrw
    drives. Can i copy a dvd if only one of my drives will actually read a
    dvd disk....or do i need two drives?

    Ed

  5. Mike Walsh

    Mike Walsh Guest

    You can copy a DVD with one drive. Most software will read a DVD and create an image which you can then burn to a blank DVD.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  6. Edward

    Edward Guest