Running non-interactive Dell's diagnostics from its HDD partition without drive checks?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ant, Aug 5, 2011.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    I am trying to run tests with Dell Studio XPS 8000's preinstalled
    extended non-interactive diagnostics from its Dell partition on the HDD
    to see why its preinstalled, updated 64-bit Windows 7 is acting weird
    (random hangs/freezes, blue screens, etc.) lately (inside looks clean,
    fans are spinning, and not dusty). How can I skip these drive tests that
    requires discs, flash medias, etc.? I just want to run internal LONG
    tests for all day, weekends, etc. without my interactions. I doubt the
    problems are related to the drives (HDDs are OK to test).

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "The greatest enemies of ants are other ants, just as
    the greatest enemies of men are other men." --Auguste Forel
    Ant, Aug 5, 2011

  2. Ant

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: Running non-interactive Dell's diagnostics from its HDD partitionwithout drive checks?

    On Aug 4, 10:32 pm, (Ant) wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I am trying to run tests with Dell Studio XPS 8000's preinstalled
    > extended non-interactive diagnostics from its Dell partition on the HDD
    > to see why its preinstalled, updated 64-bit Windows 7 is acting weird
    > (random hangs/freezes, blue screens, etc.) lately (inside looks clean,
    > fans are spinning, and not dusty). How can I skip these drive tests that
    > requires discs, flash medias, etc.? I just want to run internal LONG
    > tests for all day, weekends, etc. without my interactions. I doubt the
    > problems are related to the drives (HDDs are OK to test).
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > Quote of the Week: "The greatest enemies of ants are other ants, just as
    > the greatest enemies of men are other men." --Auguste Forel
    >   /\___/\         Ant @http://antfarm.home.dhs.org(Personal WebSite)
    >  / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links:http://aqfl.net
    > | |o   o| |
    >    \ _ /           Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    >     ( )          then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

    It's been a while, but I think you can download the Dell diagnostics
    for this model from the Dell web site and run the test selectively.
    Better still, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, download
    and run the manufacturer's comprehensive tests. Also, use the program
    HDAT2 or similar to examine SMART data, to find out if the drive
    already has defective sectors, either replaced or not... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Aug 10, 2011

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Running non-interactive Dell's diagnostics from its HDD partitionwithout drive checks?

    On 8/10/2011 6:37 AM PT, Ben Myers typed:

    > It's been a while, but I think you can download the Dell diagnostics
    > for this model from the Dell web site and run the test selectively.
    > Better still, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, download
    > and run the manufacturer's comprehensive tests. Also, use the program
    > HDAT2 or similar to examine SMART data, to find out if the drive
    > already has defective sectors, either replaced or not... Ben Myers

    Isn't this the same Dell diagnostics that came with the computer's HDD?
    Is the web site's version booted from disc/USB flash media (don't want
    to run it in this possible broken 64-bit W7 HPE)?
    --
    "Everything tastes better at a picnic... the ants, the sand,
    everything." --unknown
    Ant, Aug 10, 2011
  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: Running non-interactive Dell's diagnostics from its HDD partitionwithout drive checks?

    On 8/10/2011 6:37 AM PT, Ben Myers typed:

    > It's been a while, but I think you can download the Dell diagnostics
    > for this model from the Dell web site and run the test selectively.
    > Better still, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, download
    > and run the manufacturer's comprehensive tests. Also, use the program
    > HDAT2 or similar to examine SMART data, to find out if the drive
    > already has defective sectors, either replaced or not... Ben Myers

    Also, I don't need to test the HDDs. I just need to test the PC without
    interactions.
    --
    "For an ant to have wings would be his (her) undoing." --Iranian
    Ant, Aug 10, 2011