    Thanks

    --
    To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at attglobal dot net
    Victor Bien, Nov 28, 2011

  2. On 28/11/2011 07:25, * Victor Bien:
    > Has anyone tried and succeeded in doing this?

    Yes.

    > Why?
    > Well I like the beefy construction of these servers, you can buy older
    > models on eBay cheap

    Well, they are cheap for a reason. They are slow by today's standards,
    generally noisy, and consume a lot of electricity.

    > and for now want to be able to run XP because I
    > don't know whether all applications a client runs will run on WSFSB
    > 2003.

    What do you mean with 'WSFSB 2003'?

    > The problem, as always, are drivers. HP only provide drivers for
    > server operating systems. Are there third party suppliers who have
    > generic XP drivers that will work on say a ProLiant ML110 G3 or G4?

    Windows Server 2003 drivers and Windows 2000 Server drivers usually work
    just fine under Windowsxp.

    > Of course an alternative is to dive in and try and see what applications
    > will run on WSFSB which come with these machines. An important program
    > is Lotus Smart Suite. I know Firefox works; not sure about Outlook Express.

    If 'WSFSB 2003' means Windows Server 2003: it basically runs all
    applications that run on Windowsxp. Which, considering that the code
    base of both is very similar, should not be surprising.
    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 2, 2011

  3. Victor Bien

    Victor Bien Guest

    On 2/12/2011 5:08 PM, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > On 28/11/2011 07:25, * Victor Bien:
    >> Has anyone tried and succeeded in doing this?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> Why?
    >> Well I like the beefy construction of these servers, you can buy older
    >> models on eBay cheap

    > Well, they are cheap for a reason. They are slow by today's standards,
    > generally noisy, and consume a lot of electricity.
    >
    >> and for now want to be able to run XP because I
    >> don't know whether all applications a client runs will run on WSFSB
    >> 2003.

    > What do you mean with 'WSFSB 2003'?
    >
    >> The problem, as always, are drivers. HP only provide drivers for
    >> server operating systems. Are there third party suppliers who have
    >> generic XP drivers that will work on say a ProLiant ML110 G3 or G4?

    > Windows Server 2003 drivers and Windows 2000 Server drivers usually work
    > just fine under Windowsxp.
    >
    >> Of course an alternative is to dive in and try and see what applications
    >> will run on WSFSB which come with these machines. An important program
    >> is Lotus Smart Suite. I know Firefox works; not sure about Outlook
    >> Express.

    > If 'WSFSB 2003' means Windows Server 2003: it basically runs all
    > applications that run on Windowsxp. Which, considering that the code
    > base of both is very similar, should not be surprising.

    Since writing this I've successfully installed XP SP3 on a ProLiant
    ML110 G3. This is low end server machine and does not consume too much
    electricity - the power supply unit is only rated at 350 W which is
    smaller than the power supplies used on some current home desktops.

    The main thing I was missing was that the HP driver packs such as
    cp007490.exe - for the embedded SATA RAID controller driver has an
    "Extract" button as well as the "Install" button when you run it. I was
    rushing into things and tried clicking "Install" and promptly got a
    message saying I could not install it because the os is not supported -
    it would only work on Window Server 2003. (WSFSB is short for Windows
    Server for small business an abbreviation which quite a few people have
    used so I just copied them).

    Only running into difficulties with trying to track down software
    elsewhere and revisiting the cp###.exe files and using "Extract" did
    installing the required drivers turn out to be a piece of cake!

    Yes I know that XP and WS2003 are similar which is why I thought my
    whole concept had a good chance of working - and now it has!

    While the machine is a bit old it is not that old - it was built in
    2005. The built-in NIC is gigabit capable; it has 2 GB RAM which is
    adequate for what I want and it has a built-in Adaptec SATA RAID
    controller key for data security. The video is low powered but as a
    machine playng a server role that's not important - it'll do for
    composing documents and e-mail. If more turn up on eBay cheap I'll
    certainly snap a few more up!

    --
    (If emailing edit the following into the correct form: vbien at
    attglobal dot net, thanks).
    Victor Bien, Dec 3, 2011