S2460 BIOS...interesting

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by R. J. Salvi, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. R. J. Salvi

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported chip"
    error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be so kind
    to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing mine.

    Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS Ver.
    2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I won't
    know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same chipset, it
    looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite correctly. This might
    be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't mentioned. fwiw...

    --
    Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message
    >I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
    >chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be
    >so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
    >mine.
    >
    > Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
    > Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I
    > won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
    > chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
    > correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
    > mentioned. fwiw...
    >
    > --
    > Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    > http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
    > San Diego, CA USA
    > (858) 485-7514

    What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

    1. Advertising

  3. R. J. Salvi

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    <SnowGhost> wrote in message

    > "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message
    >>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
    >>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be
    >>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
    >>mine.
    >>
    >> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
    >> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I
    >> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
    >> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
    >> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
    >> mentioned. fwiw...

    > What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

    If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

    --
    Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
    San Diego, CA USA
    (858) 485-7514

  4. Miloman

    Miloman Guest

    "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message
    > <SnowGhost> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message
    > >>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
    > >>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd

    be
    > >>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
    > >>mine.
    > >>
    > >> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
    > >> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed,

    > >> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
    > >> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
    > >> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
    > >> mentioned. fwiw...

    > > What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

    > If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

    Is there any news?
    Paul (ver curious!)

  5. R. J. Salvi

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    "Miloman" <> wrote in message
    > "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message
    >> <SnowGhost> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "R. J. Salvi" <> wrote in message

    > be

    >> > What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

    >> If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

    > Is there any news?
    > Paul (ver curious!)

    Sorry guys, I haven't gotten into it yet. I'll try to take some digipics of
    the various BIOS screens and post a URL for you to view them. I've just been
    overwhelmed with biz and haven't had time to explore the 2460. As soon as I
    do, I'll be sure to post results.

    Fwiw, the box has WinXP SP2 installed and it runs perfectly/hauls ass.