S2885ANRF Reboots or Locks Up When Case Is Jarred

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by J. Hinkey, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. J. Hinkey

    J. Hinkey Guest

    I've had a S2885ANRF running two Opteron 252's for a couple of years now and have suffered reboots and lock-ups when the case is jarred. Not
    every time it's touched does it do this, but every time it has re-booted or locked-up it's because of touching or jarring the case in some small
    way.

    I recently re-installed the OS due to a corrupted HD that was a result of one of these lock-up events.

    What should I look for or replace in an attempt to cure this?
    How can I tell if it's the motherboard?

    The PS is the cheapest to replace - I've swapped RAM with another machine and this did not change anything.

    It has a 460W - Enermax 465P-VE-24P ATX-EPS/SSI power supply, PNY Quadro FX500 AGP card, 4 GB ram, 3 SATA HDs, 6 80mm fans, and a DVD-ROM -
    that's it.
    Do I need a larger power supply?
    A new motherboard?

    Thanks for any help!

    - John

    J. Hinkey, Feb 8, 2007

  2. J. Hinkey

    Guest

    Honestly, I'd check for shorts on the bottom of the motherboard
    against the case. That would certainly cause a reboot. maybe it's
    just not close enough to short unless you jar the case.

    On Feb 8, 6:49 pm, "J. Hinkey" <> wrote:
    > I've had a S2885ANRF running two Opteron 252's for a couple of years now and have suffered reboots and lock-ups when the case is jarred. Not
    > every time it's touched does it do this, but every time it has re-booted or locked-up it's because of touching or jarring the case in some small
    > way.
    >
    > I recently re-installed the OS due to a corrupted HD that was a result of one of these lock-up events.
    >
    > What should I look for or replace in an attempt to cure this?
    > How can I tell if it's the motherboard?
    >
    > The PS is the cheapest to replace - I've swapped RAM with another machine and this did not change anything.
    >
    > It has a 460W - Enermax 465P-VE-24P ATX-EPS/SSI power supply, PNY Quadro FX500 AGP card, 4 GB ram, 3 SATA HDs, 6 80mm fans, and a DVD-ROM -
    > that's it.
    > Do I need a larger power supply?
    > A new motherboard?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > - John

    , Feb 9, 2007

  3. J. Hinkey

    J. Hinkey Guest

    wrote:
    > Honestly, I'd check for shorts on the bottom of the motherboard
    > against the case. That would certainly cause a reboot. maybe it's
    > just not close enough to short unless you jar the case.
    >
    > On Feb 8, 6:49 pm, "J. Hinkey" <> wrote:
    >> I've had a S2885ANRF running two Opteron 252's for a couple of years now and have suffered reboots and lock-ups when the case is jarred. Not
    >> every time it's touched does it do this, but every time it has re-booted or locked-up it's because of touching or jarring the case in some small
    >> way.
    >>
    >> I recently re-installed the OS due to a corrupted HD that was a result of one of these lock-up events.
    >>
    >> What should I look for or replace in an attempt to cure this?
    >> How can I tell if it's the motherboard?
    >>
    >> The PS is the cheapest to replace - I've swapped RAM with another machine and this did not change anything.
    >>
    >> It has a 460W - Enermax 465P-VE-24P ATX-EPS/SSI power supply, PNY Quadro FX500 AGP card, 4 GB ram, 3 SATA HDs, 6 80mm fans, and a DVD-ROM -
    >> that's it.
    >> Do I need a larger power supply?
    >> A new motherboard?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>
    >> - John

    Thanks - I did not think of this and I'll take a look. I'm going to replace the PS anyways just in case.

    - John

    J. Hinkey, Feb 9, 2007