    a different monitor but that didnt help either . OUCH .. do I need a
    new BIOS chip ?

    any help or advice would be appreciated
    z1Barry, Jun 13, 2007

  2. z1Barry

    BC Guest

    z1Barry wrote:

    > I need help ! My trusty S2895 2x275 Opteron 2 year old system does not
    > respond after flashing from BIOS 1.03 to 1.05. System powers
    > up ..beeps twice ..fans are all running ..mouse and keyboard light
    > up , but nothing displays on the monitor. I hit the CMOS reset switch
    > but no help. I have made no other changes to my system ! I also tried
    > a different monitor but that didnt help either . OUCH .. do I need a
    > new BIOS chip ?
    >
    > any help or advice would be appreciated

    Dear Barry,

    with the 'clear CMOS' step, did you wait 10 minutes?

    From

    http://www.tyan.com/tech/how_to_flash.aspx

    ***
    After flashing your BIOS or upgrading your BIOS it is always a good
    practice to physically clear the CMOS jumper. Even though the flash
    utility has a trigger that should clear the CMOS after the flash it does
    not always complete this. To be 100% sure that the flash has taken
    place clear the CMOS jumper and unplug the power supply from the
    motherboard. Wait for 10 minutes and then reset the CMOS jumper back to
    pins 1 and 2 and plug the power supply back to the motherboard. This
    will make sure that the flash is correctly applied to the motherboard.
    ***

    Also, I have had to take out the CMOS battery, and let the unplugged
    motherboard sit with the clear CMOS jumper set for about half an hour or
    so....

    Oh, and one more thing....did you flash 1.03 to 1.04, then 1.04 to 1.05?
    In my experience, Tyan boards do not like it when you skip a BIOS update....

    Since you run a killer nice board, I assume you used a DOS disk and hit
    F5 during the clean boot to make sure no memory resident programs were
    loaded....

    If all else fails, there is this replacement BIOS chip source:

    http://www.badflash.com/

    Or, Tyan recommends:

    http://www.biosman.com/

    I do think that flashing to 1.04, then to 1.05 may work....

    HTH,

    BC
    BC, Jun 15, 2007

  3. z1Barry

    z1Barry Guest

    The problem was a change made by Tyan to BIOS v1.05. My video card was
    in a secondary PCIe slot. The new BIOS disabled Option ROM scan for
    this slot
    which caused my graphics card placed in that slot not to function.
    This was all according to Tyan.
    z1Barry, Jun 15, 2007
  4. z1Barry

    Jim Guest

    On Jun 15, 10:55 am, z1Barry <> wrote:
    > The problem was a change made by Tyan to BIOS v1.05. My video card was
    > in a secondary PCIe slot. The new BIOS disabled Option ROM scan for
    > this slot
    > which caused my graphics card placed in that slot not to function.
    > This was all according to Tyan.

    Barry,

    Thanks for posting back to the list!

    That's the problem with *all* this stuff. Although computers are
    supposed to be rational, logical, machines; they are only rational and
    logical to the people whom designed them. If you do not know
    *exactly* how the company designed it, no amount of calm, rational,
    thought will enable you to figure them out. The solution may be
    perfectly logical to the person who designed the machine, but somebody
    on the outside trying to figure it out may have no clue what is
    wrong. I can not possibly count the number of times similar things
    have happened to me. They are only clear in hindsight.

    I am glad you were able to solve your problem. Many times one can
    not.

    Right now, for example, I am trying to install some monitoring
    software on an x64 system. The installer software says that the
    software cannot run because it only works on a 64-bit system. I *am*
    running a 64-bit system! Meanwhile the program refuses to install.
    These computers are an endless series of frustrations.

    Good luck! :)

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 16, 2007