S2895 - the continuing adventures

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Bruce Burden, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. Bruce Burden

    Bruce Burden Guest

    Okay, so I now have a MSI K8T Master2-FAR test mule.
    It POSTs with my Opteron 270s (doesn't ack the second
    core, doesn't know what they are, so it settles for "AMD
    Hammer".

    I took the lone Opteron 242 and put it in my K8WE,
    along with the 2x256MB chips, and that POST'd - this is
    the first POST I have seen since I first powered up the
    board in mid June!

    Still can not fathom why it will not post with the
    270s. However, that is my next step - replace the 242
    with 1x270, leave the memory alone, and see what happens.

    My first though was that I had a short on the chassis,
    except that my last power attempt was on the floor mat,
    so there was no metal to get in the way. Even when I tried
    it on the chassis (sitting outside, as the PS was installed),
    I had it sitting on the anti-static bag.

    Anyway, I now know that all of the bits are good, it
    is "simply" a matter of getting them to work together...

    Bruce
    "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
    - Thuganlitha
    The Power and the Prophet
    Robert Don Hughes

    1. Advertising

  2. Bruce Burden

    Bruce Burden Guest

    Bruce Burden <> wrote:
    :
    : Okay, so I now have a MSI K8T Master2-FAR test mule.
    : It POSTs with my Opteron 270s (doesn't ack the second
    : core, doesn't know what they are, so it settles for "AMD
    : Hammer".
    :
    Well, it was the power supply. Damn it!

    I took the Opteron 242, 2x265MB memory, and installed
    that in the Tyan Thunder K8WE. That worked.

    Replace the Opteron 242 with the Opteron 270. That
    worked.

    Replace the 2x256MB memory with 2x512MB sticks. That
    doesn't work. No POST. So, RMA time. After all, the PS
    had allowed 1xOpteron 242, 2x256MB memory and 2x512MB
    memory to POST on the MSI board, so the memory was good.

    Now, it has been 10 weeks since I purchased the PS,
    and I no longer have the original box. We'll see what PC
    Power & Cooling has to say.

    What about the second TC 1K I have? I don't know. I
    didn't test it with a valid memory configuration, as I
    only tried it with 1x512MB memory, and that isn't good.
    It may well be bad, but I don't care - it goes back to
    Fry's today.

    Bruce
    "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
    - Thuganlitha
    The Power and the Prophet
    Robert Don Hughes

    1. Advertising

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Bruce Burden wrote:
    > Bruce Burden <> wrote:
    > :
    > : > Well, it was the power supply. Damn it!
    >

    > Now, it has been 10 weeks since I purchased the PS,
    > and I no longer have the original box. We'll see what PC
    > Power & Cooling has to say.
    >
    > What about the second TC 1K I have?

    Bruce,

    Those PC Power & Cooling Power Supplies have a five-year warranty, at
    least if you buy them direct. The 1KW I received as an upgrade to my
    failed 850 is *R2." I think I'd make certain I got R2 for any new PC
    power supplies. The 1KW R2 appears to be working flawlessly. I have a
    K8WE (S2895) with dual 270s and 8 GB of RAM. I also have SATA RAID
    with 4 500GB hard drives and an ASUS 7800GTX PE video card.

    Good luck! Please post back what happens!

    Jim