    Safari 4.0.4, only the last page is saved as a PDF doing the same thing.
    If I copy and paste the webpage into a text edit window, I can save it
    as a PDF okay. Any answers to why Safari is not cooperating anymore?

    2cents, Feb 12, 2011

  2. 2cents

    2cents Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <4d56de4c$0$23754$>,
    > 2cents <> wrote:
    >
    > > In Tiger using Safari, I could drag an alias to the System/Library/PDF
    > > Services folder from any user-created folder in Documents and when I
    > > wanted to save a webpage as a PDF, I'd click on the Print icon or select
    > > Print from the menu and click on the PDF drop down button on the left.
    > > The name of that folder would be in the list and I just selected it and
    > > the entire webpage would be saved as a PDF. In Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and
    > > Safari 4.0.4, only the last page is saved as a PDF doing the same thing.
    > > If I copy and paste the webpage into a text edit window, I can save it
    > > as a PDF okay. Any answers to why Safari is not cooperating anymore?

    > In both Tiger and SL you can save webpages by Command Save and
    > choose webarchive.

    That's not an answer. I know that I can save as web archive. I don't
    want to do that. I've been saving web pages as PDF files because they
    are the smallest file size - check out the difference in size between a
    PDF and a web archive of the same page. The problem is that suddenly,
    my Save as PDF command from the Print dialog started clipping off the
    first page of everything, not just in Safari but even from other
    programs. Any solutions to that?

    2cents, Feb 14, 2011

  3. 2cents

    2cents Guest

    In article <ijecrc$ckp$>,
    Tempuser <> wrote:

    > The latest release of Snow Leopard is 10.6.6. Try updating your version
    > (10.6.3) and see what happens. Additionally, the latest version of
    > Safari is 5.0.3.

    I'm aware of that too. And I'm not a slave to updating immediately to
    every new release, although I've done so in this case and it didn't fix
    the problem. AAMOF, the problem began with an update to Snow Leopard.
    As I said, I don't have the problem when I boot into my Tiger drive.
    Time to report the problem to Apple. Doesn't just happen with Safari
    bit with all attempt to save as PDF from the print dialog.

    2cents, Feb 15, 2011
  4. 2cents

    AES Guest

    Different web sites seem to deliver PDF files in different fashions, and
    how they're delivered can also depend in a confusing fashion on whether
    you click or Option-click on the link on a web page.

    For me, using a nominally vanilla Safari and Snow Leopard configuration,
    PDF files are often delivered in a PDF-looking format in a PDF-looking
    window --- but the contents of that window can't be Saved as a PDF using
    any Safari menu commands.

    If you mouse around need the bottom of the window, however, you'll find
    that 4 buttons pop up. One of them Saves the contents of the window as
    a proper PDF file in my Downloads folder (that is, in a Download folder
    I've created on my desktop, and use as the default target for all Save
    and similar commands). Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the
    possibility to choose the name for the saved PDF file. It only saves
    under the name assigned by the sending site, so I have to go to the
    Download folder and rename it the way I want it.

    A second button opens the contents of the window in Preview --
    presumably as a PDF file in Preview, which could then be Saved wherever
    you like. I just haven't gotten around to trying that.

    AES, Feb 15, 2011
  5. 2cents

    Lewis Guest

    In message <4d5ae417$0$23756$>
    2cents <> wrote:
    > In article <ijecrc$ckp$>,
    > Tempuser <> wrote:
    >> The latest release of Snow Leopard is 10.6.6. Try updating your version
    >> (10.6.3) and see what happens. Additionally, the latest version of
    >> Safari is 5.0.3.

    > I'm aware of that too. And I'm not a slave to updating immediately to
    > every new release, although I've done so in this case and it didn't fix
    > the problem. AAMOF, the problem began with an update to Snow Leopard.
    > As I said, I don't have the problem when I boot into my Tiger drive.
    > Time to report the problem to Apple. Doesn't just happen with Safari
    > bit with all attempt to save as PDF from the print dialog.

    I print to pdf all the time (many times a day) and have never seen this
    behavior.

    --
    I WILL NOT ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO FLY Bart chalkboard Ep. 7F03

    Lewis, Feb 16, 2011
  6. 2cents

    JF Mezei Guest

    Note: PDF documents were designed to be downloadable as partial
    downloads. This allowed for instance the first page to be displayed
    before the rest was downloaded.

    This used the byterange download features of most web servers (and
    browsers).

    So, if you only have a partial download of a PDF document, I guess it
    would not allow you to save it yet. If you scroll to the last page of
    the document, it would probably force all pages to be downloaded and
    perhaps then, it would allow you to save it. (just a theory , but based
    on the fact that onoy portions of PDFs can be downloaded at a time, it
    could explain it)

    JF Mezei, Feb 16, 2011