Samsung SP1614C hard drive -> no "Noise Guard" logo? (Have the specschanged for SP1614C?)

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Drive Guy, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Drive Guy

    Drive Guy Guest

    I have recently acquired a new Samsung SP1614C because (if I'm not
    mistaken) it's one of the quietest 3.5" drives currently available.

    When I compare the decal on the drive to the one pictured in this web
    link:

    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/spinpoint160.html

    or this one:

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/samsung-80gpp/index2.html

    I notice that my drive does not have the "noise guard" logo.

    Nor does it have what looks like "Impac Guard" logo.

    My drive has all the other logo's on that line, and an addition one
    (looks like the leters VCI inside 2 concentric boxes.

    The drive in that picture was manufactured 2004 / 03, and mine was
    2005 / 04.

    The S/N of mine is slighty different. The P/N is quite a bit
    different. Mine says "P/V FS" where the one in the picture has "P/V
    MS".

    Why would Samsung remove the Noise Guard (and Impac Guard) logo's from
    their new drives? How do I know if my drive has these features?

    This page:

    http://www.samsung.com/Products/Har...es/HardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP1614C.htm

    Says that the SP1614C has Noise Guard (but not Impac Guard).

    So what's the scoop?

    Drive Guy, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Drive Guy

    Rod Speed Guest

    Re: Samsung SP1614C hard drive -> no "Noise Guard" logo? (Have the specs changed for SP1614C?)

    Drive Guy <> wrote in message

    > I have recently acquired a new Samsung SP1614C because (if I'm
    > not mistaken) it's one of the quietest 3.5" drives currently available.

    Correct.

    > When I compare the decal on the drive to the one pictured in this web link:

    > http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/spinpoint160.html

    > or this one:

    > http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/samsung-80gpp/index2.html

    > I notice that my drive does not have the "noise guard" logo.

    Since the web site says it has that, they've just changed the logo detail.

    > Nor does it have what looks like "Impac Guard" logo.

    > My drive has all the other logo's on that line, and an addition
    > one (looks like the leters VCI inside 2 concentric boxes.

    > The drive in that picture was manufactured
    > 2004 / 03, and mine was 2005 / 04.

    > The S/N of mine is slighty different. The P/N is quite a bit different.
    > Mine says "P/V FS" where the one in the picture has "P/V MS".

    > Why would Samsung remove the Noise Guard
    > (and Impac Guard) logo's from their new drives?

    Logos change over time.

    > How do I know if my drive has these features?

    The web site says it has noise guard.

    > This page:

    > http://www.samsung.com/Products/Har...es/HardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP1614C.htm

    > Says that the SP1614C has Noise Guard (but not Impac Guard).

    > So what's the scoop?

    You've got what you wanted, one of the quietest drives around.

    Rod Speed, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Drive Guy

    Mark M Guest

    On Wed 06 Jul 2005 00:37:50, Drive Guy wrote:

    > I have recently acquired a new Samsung SP1614C because (if I'm
    > not mistaken) it's one of the quietest 3.5" drives currently
    > available.
    >
    > When I compare the decal on the drive to the one pictured in
    > this web link:
    > http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/spinpoint160.html
    > or this one:
    > http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/samsung-80gpp/index2.html
    >
    > I notice that my drive does not have the "noise guard" logo.
    > Nor does it have what looks like "Impac Guard" logo.
    >
    > My drive has all the other logo's on that line, and an addition
    > one (looks like the leters VCI inside 2 concentric boxes.
    >
    > The drive in that picture was manufactured 2004 / 03, and mine
    > was 2005 / 04.
    >
    > The S/N of mine is slighty different. The P/N is quite a bit
    > different. Mine says "P/V FS" where the one in the picture has
    > "P/V MS".
    >
    > Why would Samsung remove the Noise Guard (and Impac Guard)
    > logo's from their new drives? How do I know if my drive has
    > these features?
    >
    > This page:
    > http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/SpinPointPSeries/H
    > ardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP1614C.htm
    > Says that the SP1614C has Noise Guard (but not Impac Guard).
    > So what's the scoop?

    Noise Guard is not much more carefully matched acoustic damping.
    However the noise source this damping works on has varied in
    Samsung HDDs and in the P80 series (includes 160 GB, 7200rpm)
    Samsung has used two different manufacturers of the motors (NIDEC
    and JVC). Some users say they can hear a difference and that
    Nidec is better. http://www.autocrossing.com/misc/junk/fdb.jpg

    Also see http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11832

    Alternatively you may have a drive made for the OEM market (as
    opposed to not being I a retail box). These OEM-only drives are
    not always the same spec. ISTR there was a drive Samsung made a
    few years ago with FDB bearings for the OEM market but only non-
    FDB for other markets.

    Mark M, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Re: Samsung SP1614C hard drive -> no "Noise Guard" logo? (Have the specs changed for SP1614C?)

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message news:9690B86DF31CA01A4D@204.153.244.156
    > On Wed 06 Jul 2005 00:37:50, Drive Guy wrote:
    > >
    > > I have recently acquired a new Samsung SP1614C because (if I'm
    > > not mistaken) it's one of the quietest 3.5" drives currently
    > > available.
    > >
    > > When I compare the decal on the drive to the one pictured in
    > > this web link:
    > > http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/spinpoint160.html
    > > or this one:
    > > http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/samsung-80gpp/index2.html
    > >
    > > I notice that my drive does not have the "noise guard" logo.
    > > Nor does it have what looks like "Impac Guard" logo.
    > >
    > > My drive has all the other logo's on that line, and an addition
    > > one (looks like the letters VCI inside 2 concentric boxes.
    > >
    > > The drive in that picture was manufactured 2004 / 03, and mine
    > > was 2005 / 04.
    > >
    > > The S/N of mine is slightly different. The P/N is quite a bit
    > > different. Mine says "P/V FS" where the one in the picture has
    > > "P/V MS".
    > >
    > > Why would Samsung remove the Noise Guard (and Impac Guard)
    > > logo's from their new drives? How do I know if my drive has
    > > these features?
    > >
    > > This page:
    > > http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/SpinPointPSeries/H
    > > ardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP1614C.htm

    Congrats, Mark M.
    Microsoft finally taught OE not to break links anymore and you found
    it necessary to undo that. You must have studied real hard on that.

    Folkert Rienstra, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Drive Guy

    Drive Guy Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    > Noise Guard is not much more carefully matched acoustic damping.
    > However the noise source this damping works on has varied in
    > Samsung HDDs and in the P80 series (includes 160 GB, 7200rpm)
    > Samsung has used two different manufacturers of the motors (NIDEC
    > and JVC). Some users say they can hear a difference and that
    > Nidec is better. http://www.autocrossing.com/misc/junk/fdb.jpg

    Yes, I have the Nidec. Mine is stamped "F0510611F" and "FDB" (fluid
    dynamic bearing?).

    > Also see http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11832
    >
    > Alternatively you may have a drive made for the OEM market (as
    > opposed to not being I a retail box). These OEM-only drives are
    > not always the same spec. ISTR there was a drive Samsung made a
    > few years ago with FDB bearings for the OEM market but only non-
    > FDB for other markets.

    I haven't powered it up yet, so I can't say how it compares to my
    Barracuda 7200.7 (my Barracuda is acceptible except for the periodic
    buzzing it does - which is called "offline seek" - which I can't get
    any verification if the newer 7200.8 Barracuda's also do or not.

    Drive Guy, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Drive Guy

    Mark M Guest

    Re: Samsung SP1614C hard drive -> no "Noise Guard" logo? (Have the specs changed for SP1614C?)

    On Mon 11 Jul 2005 23:52:38, Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    >> > This page:
    >> > http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/SpinPointPSeries
    >> > /H ardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP1614C.htm

    > Congrats, Mark M.
    > Microsoft finally taught OE not to break links anymore and you
    > found it necessary to undo that. You must have studied real hard
    > on that.

    Hi Folkie. And why do you think I am using OE? Just because I stick
    in a header which says "OE 6.00.2800"?

    Give me a break. Even the dumbest kid on the block can see my
    headers look nothing like real OE headers. Look at your own headers
    if you want to compare. Of course I am not using OE.

    Your problem, dear Folkie, is that you are using a newsreader which
    can not automatically join up a wrapped URL. Blame yourself for
    making that poor decision. M<y newsreader has no such difficulty.

    Mark M, Jul 18, 2005