SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 - please help

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Adam, Oct 19, 2011.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
    However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
    heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
    So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.

    Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

    1. Advertising

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
    > However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
    > heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
    > So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.
    >
    > Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

    Check the Newegg customer reviews, for reports of failures ?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...on=hd 5770&name=Sapphire Tech&Order=BESTMATCH

    Using the rating system, it may be easier to find a brand with
    the best reviews.

    Amazon also has reviews for stuff, if you need more opinions.

    Paul

    1. Advertising

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Adam wrote:
    >> I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
    >> However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
    >> heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
    >> So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.
    >>
    >> Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.
    >>

    > Check the Newegg customer reviews, for reports of failures ?
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...on=hd 5770&name=Sapphire Tech&Order=BESTMATCH
    >
    > Using the rating system, it may be easier to find a brand with
    > the best reviews.
    >
    > Amazon also has reviews for stuff, if you need more opinions.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks (Guru Paul), checking Amazon sounds like a good idea.

    Interesting how Newegg and Amazon have different items at the top of the
    stack.

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> Adam wrote:
    >>> I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
    >>> However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
    >>> heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
    >>> So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.
    >>>
    >>> Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Check the Newegg customer reviews, for reports of failures ?
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...on=hd 5770&name=Sapphire Tech&Order=BESTMATCH
    >>
    >> Using the rating system, it may be easier to find a brand with
    >> the best reviews.
    >>
    >> Amazon also has reviews for stuff, if you need more opinions.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > Thanks (Guru Paul), checking Amazon sounds like a good idea.
    >
    > Interesting how Newegg and Amazon have different items at the top of the
    > stack.

    I think Newegg management, thinks of Amazon as "the enemy". I don't
    think that way at all, as I tried to buy something from Amazon, and
    it never arrived, and I had to wait a month to get a CC refund. So they're
    not even in the same league. But knowing Newegg hates them, I like
    to throw a ref to Amazon in for fun :) You'll notice Newegg's site
    is "morphing" into something bloated and ugly (sorta like discovering
    a grocery aisle in your local hardware store), but that's business
    for you. Never happy with perfection, always a need to dilute. I
    wonder how long it will take, before Newegg is selling Corn Flakes.

    Paul

  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Adam wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Check the Newegg customer reviews, for reports of failures ?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...on=hd 5770&name=Sapphire Tech&Order=BESTMATCH
    >>>
    >>> Using the rating system, it may be easier to find a brand with
    >>> the best reviews.
    >>>
    >>> Amazon also has reviews for stuff, if you need more opinions.
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >>>

    >> Thanks (Guru Paul), checking Amazon sounds like a good idea.
    >>
    >> Interesting how Newegg and Amazon have different items at the top of the
    >> stack.
    >>

    > I think Newegg management, thinks of Amazon as "the enemy". I don't
    > think that way at all, as I tried to buy something from Amazon, and
    > it never arrived, and I had to wait a month to get a CC refund. So they're
    > not even in the same league. But knowing Newegg hates them, I like
    > to throw a ref to Amazon in for fun :) You'll notice Newegg's site
    > is "morphing" into something bloated and ugly (sorta like discovering
    > a grocery aisle in your local hardware store), but that's business
    > for you. Never happy with perfection, always a need to dilute. I
    > wonder how long it will take, before Newegg is selling Corn Flakes.
    >
    > Paul

    Yeah, I was surprised when I recently discovered that
    techie Newegg was selling ...

    Handy Gourmet Large 26"x16.25" Non Stick Oven Liner $7 @ Newegg

    Unlike Newegg, Amazon has many vendors so I'm always cautious about
    which vendor I'm buying from. I don't worry about buying direct from
    Amazon.
    Because there are more vendors, more items are sold on Amazon than Newegg.

  6. Foke

    Foke Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:13:01 -0700, "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

    >I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
    >However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
    >heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
    >So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.
    >
    >Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

    I bought that same Sapphire card from New Egg a year and a half ago and
    wasn't happy with the fan noise. I eventually ended up with a Nvidia GTX
    460 and am much happier with that card. It's around $30 more, but to me
    it was worth it. YMMV.

  7. charlie

    charlie Guest

    I run two XFX 5770s in Xfire
    I'd suggest that you seriously consider a faster video card.
    A single NVIDIA 460 or preferably better, and is about as fast or faster
    than two 5770s in Xfire. Worthy of note is that the latest ATI/AMD
    driver for the HD5770s has less problems in general than
    the older versions. With the early drivers, Far Cry 2 would usually
    lockup after about fifteen minutes or so of play. It's up to about 2-1/2
    hours now. Naturally, there are some work-arounds, such as saving,
    exiting and restarting the game.