    tower I might get, the one having SATA cables? Is there some kind of
    adapter so that older, ribbon style cables can be plugged into SATA?

    Thanks

    Stan, Sep 21, 2007

  2. Stan

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Stan <> wrote:
    > I might get a used IBM tower, IBM Intellistation M Pro P4 3.2 GHz 512MB
    > 6230-41U. IBM's website [http://tinyurl.com/2fvnpu ] shows that the HDD is
    > SATA. Since I'm not so familiar with SATA and have only owned, and still
    > own, two older IBM towers that have the old, 1.75" to 2" wide, flat ribbon
    > cables, if I take out a CD burner from one of these older IBMs, can I
    > somehow connect the ribbon style connector for the CD burner to the IBM
    > tower I might get, the one having SATA cables? Is there some kind of
    > adapter so that older, ribbon style cables can be plugged into SATA?

    Short answer: Not compatible at all

    Long answer: There are adapters, but they are unreliable
    even for HDDs and generally do not work for CD burners.

    You might have luck with a PCI ATA adapter card, but some
    of them also have problems with CD-burners. However the
    mainboard may still have one ATA port, which could support
    the burner.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 22, 2007

  3. Stan

    Don Guest

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Stan <> wrote:
    >> I might get a used IBM tower, IBM Intellistation M Pro P4 3.2 GHz 512MB
    >> 6230-41U. IBM's website [http://tinyurl.com/2fvnpu ] shows that the HDD is
    >> SATA. Since I'm not so familiar with SATA and have only owned, and still
    >> own, two older IBM towers that have the old, 1.75" to 2" wide, flat ribbon
    >> cables, if I take out a CD burner from one of these older IBMs, can I
    >> somehow connect the ribbon style connector for the CD burner to the IBM
    >> tower I might get, the one having SATA cables? Is there some kind of
    >> adapter so that older, ribbon style cables can be plugged into SATA?

    > Short answer: Not compatible at all
    >
    > Long answer: There are adapters, but they are unreliable
    > even for HDDs and generally do not work for CD burners.
    >
    > You might have luck with a PCI ATA adapter card, but some
    > of them also have problems with CD-burners. However the
    > mainboard may still have one ATA port, which could support
    > the burner.
    >
    > Arno

    I don't know about CD ROMs and burners, but my Gigabit adepter works
    just fine. And it cost me all of $15. I currently have it plugged into
    a Western Digital 250 GB parallel drive.

    Don, Sep 30, 2007
  4. Stan

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Don <> wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously Stan <> wrote:
    >>> I might get a used IBM tower, IBM Intellistation M Pro P4 3.2 GHz 512MB
    >>> 6230-41U. IBM's website [http://tinyurl.com/2fvnpu ] shows that the HDD is
    >>> SATA. Since I'm not so familiar with SATA and have only owned, and still
    >>> own, two older IBM towers that have the old, 1.75" to 2" wide, flat ribbon
    >>> cables, if I take out a CD burner from one of these older IBMs, can I
    >>> somehow connect the ribbon style connector for the CD burner to the IBM
    >>> tower I might get, the one having SATA cables? Is there some kind of
    >>> adapter so that older, ribbon style cables can be plugged into SATA?

    >> Short answer: Not compatible at all
    >>
    >> Long answer: There are adapters, but they are unreliable
    >> even for HDDs and generally do not work for CD burners.
    >>
    >> You might have luck with a PCI ATA adapter card, but some
    >> of them also have problems with CD-burners. However the
    >> mainboard may still have one ATA port, which could support
    >> the burner.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > I don't know about CD ROMs and burners, but my Gigabit adepter works
    > just fine. And it cost me all of $15. I currently have it plugged into
    > a Western Digital 250 GB parallel drive.

    I posted a review some time here. I found that some adapter+disk combos
    work well, others not and some do not work at all. That is what I
    call "unreliable". Getting such an adapter and using it is basically
    an experiment with unclear outcome.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 1, 2007