    Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It has
    Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned onto the
    SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

    KEN, Oct 16, 2008

  2. KEN

    KEN Guest

    I guess that's IDE drive not EIDE. Sorry.

    KEN, Oct 16, 2008

  3. KEN

    Ben Myers Guest

    KEN wrote:
    > Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It has
    > Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned onto the
    > SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

    Ken,

    It is definitely not recommended. But if you really want to, the best
    way is to get a separate SATA adapter. With a system as old as a
    G6-400, I have serious doubts that a SATA drive can be made bootable.
    Doing so was messy enough with newer systems until Microsoft
    slipstreamed SATA support into XP Service Pack 2... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 16, 2008
  4. KEN

    KEN Guest

    Thanks Ben