SATA Drive in a G6 400 Gateway PC

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by KEN, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. KEN

    KEN Guest

    Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It has
    Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned onto the
    SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

    1. Advertising

  2. KEN

    KEN Guest

    I guess that's IDE drive not EIDE. Sorry.

    "KEN" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It
    > has Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned
    > onto the SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

    1. Advertising

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    KEN wrote:
    > Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It has
    > Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned onto the
    > SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

    Ken,

    It is definitely not recommended. But if you really want to, the best
    way is to get a separate SATA adapter. With a system as old as a
    G6-400, I have serious doubts that a SATA drive can be made bootable.
    Doing so was messy enough with newer systems until Microsoft
    slipstreamed SATA support into XP Service Pack 2... Ben Myers

  4. KEN

    KEN Guest

    Thanks Ben