SATA drive install problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by My View, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. My View

    My View Guest

    I posted a similar topic back in August this year but had other issues with
    the hard drive and was never able to successfully install it.

    I have since had the drive replaced by Western Digital, so now I want to
    install it again on my PC but I am still having a problem doing this.

    I have an Asus P4S8X motherboard (about 3 years old) with 2 SATA
    connections.

    I currently have installed a primary IDE 200GB harddrive (with Windows XP
    Pro SP2 installed) and a secondary IDE 80GB HD that acts as a backup drive.

    The new drive is a 200GB SATA drive that I now want to instal as a backup
    drive.

    I have tried methods outlined in my previous post as follows but it still
    will not boot-up.

    These are the settings I have used and the messages I receive:

    1. BIOS settings:
    a. Under Advanced/PCI Config I have enabled "Onboard ATA Device" and
    selected "No" for "Onboard ATA Device First".
    b. Boot order is Floppy then IDE Drive then DVD-RW then INT18 Device

    2. When I first boot up I went to CTRL-F and selected "Auto". It set the new
    drive to Array 1 / Stripe and it reads as Functional.
    The boot-up screen shows the RAID Mode as "1+0 Stripe".

    3. The boot-up then stops with a warning "Windows could not start because
    the following file is missing or corrupt : "System32/Drivers/ntfs.sys".
    Is the PC trying to boot from this new drive even with the BIOS settings in
    1 above?

    4. I then disconnect the SATA drive and boot up normally under the IDE
    drive. Under Device Manager the RAID/SCII drives are correctly installed and
    recognized by Windows.

    Any ideas how I can get this drive installed correctly?

    regards

    PeterH
    My View, Oct 18, 2005