sata expresscards

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Thomas Maier-Komor, Mar 12, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    I'm looking for the right kind of ExpressCard that I can plug into my
    Lenovo T61 laptop to add two eSATA ports. I've figured out that there
    are two kinds of chipsets that are supported by OpenSolaris: SiI3132 and
    AHCI - correct?

    Now I'm wondering, which one to get. As I understand it the SiI3132 has
    been supported for quite some time now, while in contrast AHCI support
    is pretty new. So I guess driver robustness might be better with
    SiI3132. OTOH, the AHCI seems to be the newer specification, which might
    have its own benefits.

    Additionally, I've seen there are lot's of very cheap ExpressCards with
    two eSATA ports, where I was unable to figure out which chipset they are
    using? E.g. Digitus makes such cards. Any idea what chipset that might
    be and what the quality of the cards are. Judging from the price, I'd
    avoid those cards, but I'd be happy if they are good enough for general use.

    So, can anybody give me some insight on which chipset or brand/make to
    prefer and which would work well especially with the Lenovo T61?

    TIA,
    Thomas